Is the Big East Consipiring to take Run at Big 10 Teams?

Warhawks77

I was recently in company with a financial donor to big twelve schools who has many inside contacts. These contacts stated that the Big 10 is not in as good of shape as they think with the addition of Nebraska. In fact, they claim NE hurt their recruiting as they abandoned the TX TV market which was a pipeline state for them.

The biggest news is that these East Coast insiders claim to have it on authority that when the Big East lands a television deal it will be timed with also looking to get Penn State and Ohio State to join them. These insides believe the addition of these two along with the TV potential on the east Coast would make this the largest Media contract ever and hold historic paydays for the teams involved. The presentation of this argument was backed by some pretty good stats and other arguments of which I can't recall so I won't post them. I am putting this out here to get others opinions. I'd heard the Big10 was looking East but my most recent conversations have it turned around that the East is going to come get some of our teams. Anyone else heard this?

I was recently in company with a financial donor to big twelve schools who has many inside contacts. These contacts stated that the Big 10 is not in as good of shape as they think with the addition of Nebraska. In fact, they claim NE hurt their recruiting as they abandoned the TX TV market which was a pipeline state for them.

The biggest news is that these East Coast insiders claim to have it on authority that when the Big East lands a television deal it will be timed with also looking to get Penn State and Ohio State to join them. These insides believe the addition of these two along with the TV potential on the east Coast would make this the largest Media contract ever and hold historic paydays for the teams involved. The presentation of this argument was backed by some pretty good stats and other arguments of which I can't recall so I won't post them. I am putting this out here to get others opinions. I'd heard the Big10 was looking East but my most recent conversations have it turned around that the East is going to come get some of our teams. Anyone else heard this?

Ha no chance whatsoever of this happening. The Big East is probably going to break up in the next decade, no big time programs are looking to get in there.

There is no way a team would leave the Big 10 for the Big East, other than for selfish reasons. I just don't see it happening.

Your first mistake is listening to anyone with inside connections to the Big XII about the potential impact of Nebraska on the Big Ten and the state of the Big Ten.

All schools recruit Texas. It depends on your connections from Texas. When Fry was our coach we recruited down there all the time. We still do to a lesser extent.

As far as the Big East, that is so far fetched it's laughable. The Big East schools don't have the fans to support a big enough TV contract to get PSU & OSU. While location is important you also have to have the product, and the product just isn't there.

I don't dispute that the Big Least would like to do that, but it's a pipe dream. No way they could pull that off.

I don't think that the schools in any conference generate more revenue than big ten teams....get a 2nd opinion...

Their current payouts are far less than the lowest Big12 payouts. When the expansion talk was going on ISU was looking at different options and the Big East's payouts weren't that much more than going to th MWC. How are they going to go from that to taking teams from the highest paying conference in the NCAA?

Wow..first I have heard of this, and likely the last. No way is any Big Ten team leaving. The only shot I could see is if PSU got Texas like treatment from the Big East...but even then, wont happen because of the research grant $$ aspets.

I had thought about the recruiting effect on Neb, but they are a national program anywho

It probably will hurt Nebraska's recruiting in Texas. They can't tell kids they will get to play one or two games a year in Texas anymore, but it will open up new recruiting areas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, for them.

I would say that your Big12 donor friend is either 3/4 retarded, or is simply wishful thinking. The BigTen is incredibly strong, and the addition of Nebraska will only make it stronger.

The possibility that Nebraska recruiting in Texas could be hurt is something that anyone with 1/2 a brain (or even 1/4 of a brain) could see. If they aren't playing the Texas schools (and OK) every year, they will have less exposure there. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that they have some ideas for dealing with that (such as scheduling Texas schools ooc, etc). Besides, the BigTen network exposure is MUCH larger, so I'm sure that they wil open up new recruiting grounds.

OSU/PSU leaving all the money in the BigTen to go to the Big Least seems a pretty big stretch, to put it mildly...

One not so crazy Big East rumor I've heard is that the non FBS football schools had discussed the possibility of forming their own conference along with Notre Dame. I think if the Big East tries to continue to add teams for football this could def happen as a 17, 18, 19 team basketball conference would be a huge mess.

It is much more likely that the Big Ten will add 2 east coast schools to get the same footprint that the Big East has (New York, New England) this would leave the Big East with nothing to offer to Penn St and Ohio State.

Latest posts