Is the Big 10 really good? Overrated?

Wisconsin result - expected. But i had a feeling if the nut buster hit a few more three’s, it could have been a different outcome. Illinois? No doubt- Loyola in control throughout
Yeah, I think the IL game has really put the label on the BIG thus far anyway. We're going to need some major wins to erase the IL loss. I think we're facing some defensive pressure and intensity we haven't seen often in the BIG. Each BIG loss has the losing team exceeding their avg. turnovers by a fair amount........especially with IL, OSU, and WI.

Might not be which conference is the best

But, which teams show up

Better be ready to play and not take any team in the tournament
for granted

Parity Rules, especially this season

Hawks seemed to be ready to go from JumpStreet

This is from the DMR:

And to open the second half, Bohannon delivered a pair of 3-pointers and was more than happy to salute the Grand Canyon faithful both times — first with a bow-and-arrow motion, then a hold-the-pose follow through. That sent Iowa’s lead to 56-39. And Grand Canyon just couldn't keep up with one of the nation's most efficient offenses, which for the game averaged a robust 1.46 points per possession.

So Sweet, it makes me dizzy

Let's wait for the Illini game to end and maybe put an answer to this question. As someone said yes Loyola is better than an 8 seed with that record. Drake was really good for a 12 seed play in game. There are a lot of really good teams and players. And it looks like the mid-majors are playing a more free form type of game and maybe not as stiff and nervous.

But if both teams in the Big 10 Tourney final are both out this weekend and go 1-2 that is bad. Even people on this board wondered if Iowa was really a top 5 team (I think Iowa may be a top 5 when they are all playing as a team and hitting on all cylinders). But Iowa was slow to the ball last nite especially on the boards and that will get them in the end if they do not watch out.

The hawks need to play really good today even in a loss to say they were top 10 as really the top 20 teams are pretty close anymore.
Think of how bad we would have got slaughtered on the boards if Keegan doesn't get extended minutes.

Both is the answer to the the title of this thread. Big Ten is over rated mainly because they do a great job of marketing and branding. They promote always that we are battle tested through 20 games mainly playing the same style of basketball "hack and rack". Reminds me of Iowa always going to the Rose Bowl against a PAC team and they were not impressed not to mention they ran/passed our ass in to the ground. It is a big world out there kids other conferences can chew gum lift weights leap over tall buildings in a single bound Wisconsin found that today with Baylor

One bonus I suppose is we are still in this thing and we have plenty of examples of what happens when you don't bring it.

From what I have seen so far, if Iowa brings their A game, Gonzaga looks like the only team in our way to the Final Four where their A game is better than our A game.
Decent points.

GCU probably felt like they were playing OK last night, doing most of the things they like to do, then all the sudden you look up and we're up seventeen.

We had two chances to reenact the famous Fran scoring drought and didn't either time. Extending the lead late in the first half with Luka, Keegan and Connor all on the bench was the key to the game. Our B- game was more than enough to handle Grand Canyon playing a B or B+ game.

Allot of sugar energy today last post here. As a Hawks post here I hope nobody trashes any of our players win/lose like the Ohio State idiot fan apparently did on social media attacking Liddell. Liddell is an example of a class act on the court and by the way pretty good while on the court I played a sport at Iowa and couch coaches don't cut it.

Results don’t lie IMO. I wish the conference were making a better showing. But honestly...I don’t really care as long as we’re still playing Tuesday.

Edit - If I was told the BT had to go 1-8 but it guaranteed Iowa the Elite 8. I would have agreed instantly.
Win and Survive we are going micro here Go Hawks and F the big ten I'm in!

They always have to brag on some conference it seems every year. It was fun I guess that it was the BIG this year, but the fact is until they lace em up head to head it's all just hot air.

There are just so many good players EVERYWHERE in every conference that if you don't play your best game you are going home early. Are these teams better that are sending the BT packing? Probably not over the course of the season, but in that one game they were, so good for them. There is going to be egg on a lot of talking head's faces if no BT team reaches the final 4.

I don't think the Big Ten is defensible at this point. A lot of these "best conference" discussions are based on pre-season expectations and then validated or refuted based on non-conference play. With non-conference schedules being extremely slim this year, the sample set was just really small. I think now might be a good time to come to grips with the Big Ten being something of a paper tiger.
............ apparently Barta BOUGHT into it.

I'm watching Texas Tech vs Arkansas and there are some athletic DUDES out there.

Both these teams are more athletic than any team in the B1G.

Thank God they're in another regional.

Texas=gone.
West Vir. = gone
Tech Tech = gone

The other "alleged" top league is not doing so well either.
Arkansas was my sleeper pick to win the whole enchilada when I posted it last week.

Another league team (Kansas) is going to have their hands full tomorrow with "Dunk City".

B1G desperately needs Rutgers to pull this out.

Won't mitigate all the damage done but good Rutgers is a dangerous team.

The difference is the bigs. To compete in the Big10 you need a Liam Robbins to guard Hunter Dickinson to guard Cofi Kockburn to guard Miles Johnson to guard TWilliams/Eady to guard 4 MichSt bigs to guard Reuvers/Potter to guard Luka Garza.

These teams beating the Big10 - they are able to pull the Big's out, create mismatches which forces Big10 teams to sit their bigs. Especially if the others get a lead, they dictate.
Eady was a force for Purdue down the stretch - played 15min and scoreless v. NTexas.
Kockburn couldn't defend v. Krutwig & high-post cutters, Ill couldn't get stops.

If you get lead using your Big - he needs to finish. Johnson missed a dunk, layup and had a turnover in 3 of Rutgers last 6 possessions.

Luka made plays all over - difference maker and allows Iowa to dictate when they have lead.

Latest posts