Is the Big 10 really good? Overrated?

uihawk82

Let's wait for the Illini game to end and maybe put an answer to this question. As someone said yes Loyola is better than an 8 seed with that record. Drake was really good for a 12 seed play in game. There are a lot of really good teams and players. And it looks like the mid-majors are playing a more free form type of game and maybe not as stiff and nervous.

But if both teams in the Big 10 Tourney final are both out this weekend and go 1-2 that is bad. Even people on this board wondered if Iowa was really a top 5 team (I think Iowa may be a top 5 when they are all playing as a team and hitting on all cylinders). But Iowa was slow to the ball last nite especially on the boards and that will get them in the end if they do not watch out.

The hawks need to play really good today even in a loss to say they were top 10 as really the top 20 teams are pretty close anymore.

Let's wait for the Illini game to end and maybe put an answer to this question. As someone said yes Loyola is better than an 8 seed with that record. Drake was really good for a 12 seed play in game. There are a lot of really good teams and players. And it looks like the mid-majors are playing a more free form type of game and maybe not as stiff and nervous.

But if both teams in the Big 10 Tourney final are both out this weekend and go 1-2 that is bad. Even people on this board wondered if Iowa was really a top 5 team (I think Iowa may be a top 5 when they are all playing as a team and hitting on all cylinders). But Iowa was slow to the ball last nite especially on the boards and that will get them in the end if they do not watch out.

The hawks need to play really good today even in a loss to say they were top 10 as really the top 20 teams are pretty close anymore.
Iowa plays tomorrow...

Michigan good coaching and athletes, Wisconsin has coaching and experience and Iowa has a player of the year and some depth. Only teams you could expect to go anywhere.

Illinois, two words...Brad Underwood. Not surprising they lose when they get outcoached all day long. More of Bruce Pearl kind of thing. Gets the players but not so good on the coaching front at ILL. Iowa needs to be carried by Garza a bit cause Fran isn't going to outsmart or out adjust guys like Moser or Few or even Dana Altman.

As someone else said, some great coaches at these other schools, the mid majors. Coaches who dont have 5 really good players but a couple and a very good system.

The Illini guards are just getting pickpocketed.

L Chicago made Illinois look slow and confused....while playing slow down ball...but they were so precise in their half-court sets. Just out-coached and outplayed. They looked like the team that has been there before and Illinois for the first time.

At this point in time, it is fair to say the Big Ten is having a poor showing relative to expectations.

The Oral Roberts loss was a surprise for certain

Loyola over the Illini was not

Northside called that one

Rutgers and Maryland were a bit of a surprise
But the dreams for them end playing Houston
and Alabama next

Michigan and the Hawks are still in contention to advance

Of course, without Livers, the Wolverines can't rely on the
Bearded Dwarf

Aw Yiss

I don't think the Big Ten is defensible at this point. A lot of these "best conference" discussions are based on pre-season expectations and then validated or refuted based on non-conference play. With non-conference schedules being extremely slim this year, the sample set was just really small. I think now might be a good time to come to grips with the Big Ten being something of a paper tiger.

It's a physical conference. Teams are beaten up. It's been a weird season with Covid pauses and unbalanced schedules and teams trying to make up missed games down the stretch. Michigan is missing one of their best players. Ohio State wore out late. Illinois is all athletes but had no answer for Loyola's tremendous coaching and execution. At this rate the league will be lucky to get any teams into the Final Four.

I would say it's one of two things. Either the Big 10 is over rated and Oral Roberts is better than Ohio State, LoC is better than Illinois, and whoever the hell beat Purdue is better than Purdue, or upsets happen in single elimination tournaments.

4 major conference tournament Champs have lost already. Oregon state is another one and they will be big dogs in their 2nd round. Pretty crazy stat.

Every fucking team in the B1G knows what's at stake. Show up and play. The term overrated is overrated. Every loss is the result of not being ready to go. Look at Texas or Virginia.... granted I really don't know what I'm talking about but every year it's someone who has expectations and they jizz too early and are bachelor's forever

Wisconsin result - expected. But i had a feeling if the nut buster hit a few more three’s, it could have been a different outcome. Illinois? No doubt- Loyola in control throughout

Latest posts