Is Nebraska about to run our D's nightmare offense?

I guess you really have no clue about what a QUARTERBACK'S job is and what his responsibilities are, especially in that offense. Even Tom Osborne said that Frazier was the most important piece to that puzzle, the player that took the progam to the next level, but what would he know, right? I guess Osborne isn't one of the greatest coaches of all time because he had great players, will that be your take?

So, journalist and broadcaster who have watched tons of college football, many average fans, one of the greatest coaches of all time, and his own team mates who have drawers full of rings say that he is one of the best, but YOU, (and pretty much only you) who apparently is the all-knowing expert of all things college football say he is not.

Let me think about that for a minute, and I'll get back to you.

On second thought, just go away.

What was Osborne's bowl record? It's not hard to win when you take in all kinds of thugs, have no academic standards, hand out steroids like candy and let your players beat women with no repercussions. He had better talent than everyone else and underachieved for most of his career. But ill give you a break since I know its all you have in Nebraska and your self worth is tied to how the football team does.

Just for Hawks fans, that would like to know.
B10's record against SEC
According to cfbdatawarehouse.com the Big Ten teams vs SEC school records are the following:

Ohio St. 7-10
Mich 20-5
Mich St. 5-6
Indiana 26-21
Illinois 2-6
Minnesota 5-3
Wisconsin 4-8
Penn St. 16-6
Purdue 4-5
Iowa 4-3
Northwestern 2-5

B10 total O for 2010 avg 397 yards per game, Sec total O avg 398 yards per game.
B10 total D for 2010 avg 364 yards per game, Sec total D avg 350 yards per game.
(remember yards allowed, ie: lower the better on D).
B10 pass ypg 220, Sec pass ypg 239
B10 rush ypg 176, Sec rush ypg 174
HERES one that blew my mind.
B10 has 2 Qb's in there top 10 rushers for the year
SEC has 1.

It would seem to me, I need to eat some crow here. Looks like the two conf's are more alike than I thought. But nothing shows them as way better than we are, (like some people were argueing)
You all are not going to like this next part, but it's got to be done..
Auburn ppg 41.2, allowed 24.1. Wiskey ppg 41.5, allowed 20.5. Iowa ppg 28.9, allowed 17.
I think something should be said at this point that Iowa was right with Wiskey, till the end. So basiclly, if you dont think Iowa can hang with Wiskey, Auburn or who ever makes your wood hard, think again. As I said, no way Scam runs the ball that much in the B10 without injury, yes he's big, but it just doesnt work like that. Sound fundamental football, requires all the positions and for all positions to be accounted for. Face it Iowa is one of the best in the country at playing sound football. With the numbers above you can get a pretty good idea how far away from NC calibur we are. PLEASE try and remember all that happened to our team last year, when thinking about that.

Last edited:
74....seriously man, u say u r just a smartass but to most here u r simply justifying the arrogance of your fanbase. If anyone needs to go away, it's u. There are numerous husker boards that would take u in.

Just for Hawks fans, that would like to know.
B10's record against SEC
According to cfbdatawarehouse.com the Big Ten teams vs SEC school records are the following:

Ohio St. 7-10
Mich 20-5
Mich St. 5-6
Indiana 26-21
Illinois 2-6
Minnesota 5-3
Wisconsin 4-8
Penn St. 16-6
Purdue 4-5
Iowa 4-3
Northwestern 2-5

B10 total O for 2010 avg 397 yards per game, Sec total O avg 398 yards per game.
B10 total D for 2010 avg 364 yards per game, Sec total D avg 350 yards per game.
(remember yards allowed, ie: lower the better on D).
B10 pass ypg 220, Sec pass ypg 239
B10 rush ypg 176, Sec rush ypg 174
HERES one that blew my mind.
B10 has 2 Qb's in there top 10 rushers for the year
SEC has 1.

It would seem to me, I need to eat some crow here. Looks like the two conf's are more alike than I thought. But nothing shows them as way better than we are, (like some people were argueing)
You all are not going to like this next part, but it's got to be done..
Auburn ppg 41.2, allowed 24.1. Wiskey ppg 41.5, allowed 20.5. Iowa ppg 28.9, allowed 17.
I think something should be said at this point that Iowa was right with Wiskey, till the end. So basiclly, if you dont think Iowa can hang with Wiskey, Auburn or who ever makes your wood hard, think again. As I said, no way Scam runs the ball that much in the B10 without injury, yes he's big, but it just doesnt work like that. Sound fundamental football, requires all the positions and for all positions to be accounted for. Face it Iowa is one of the best in the country at playing sound football. With the numbers above you can get a pretty good idea how far away from NC calibur we are. PLEASE try and remember all that happened to our team last year, when thinking about that.

Maybe not WAY better. But better, for sure. They have the NC's to prove that. I would say their TOP teams are better (it may switch yearly), and I think the NC's prove that. We could play with them, yes...but I just don't see us winning that conference. I never said Iowa couldn't hang with Wisky, and I think we are on the same level as them. Iowa is a top 20 team in the country IMO (over the last 10 years). It's just that the SEC might have 4-5 on that list. B10 has 3 most likely. I think it will only improve now with Nebraska.

We aren't too far away from being a NC contender, but we still have some work to do. I think we need to worry more about winning our side of the B10 before we consider making a title run.

What was Osborne's bowl record?
I believe it was 12-13. I know that you have no idea about this, but when you play teams that are normally ranked first, second, or third in the nation, and not some 5th or 6th best team from some conferece (in the event you were lucky enough to make a bowl) you're not supposed to beat those teams, you don't win many of those games.

Besides, he has 5 National Championships to his resume.

It's not hard to win when you take in all kinds of thugs,
Whoa, a Hawk fan saying this about anyone?? Have you paid attention to what has gone on in Iowa City the past few years? Pot meet kettle.

Let's also just forget about the hundreds of players who never did anything wrong, who went to hospitals to see sick kids, who went to schools to speak to students about the importance of getting an education and staying away from drugs. No lets just focus on the 3 or 4 players per year that actually got into trouble. I'd bet we had less arrests per year during his time than KF has had. The difference is, we were winning MNCs at that time, so the scutiny was much greater.

have no academic standards,
Do you really like spreading lies? What's next, are you going to bring up the "county scholarship" lie?

Sure, no academic standards, we just have he most Academic All-Americans of all time.

Haters gonna hate.

hand out steroids like candy
Lie #2. Any proof of this? No. I will admit that during the 70's or early 80's when everyone else was doing steroids, so were we. But when the NCAA started cleaning up the game, we had to clean up along side of everyone else. Just because you weren't as good, it doesn't mean that we were doing anything wrong.

Oh, and you can thank Boyd Epply for your S&C program. Without him, football wouldn't be what it now is.

and let your players beat women with no repercussions.
Lie #3. Again, can you prepare to substantiate this? Not to excuse the actions of any of the offenders, I remember one player (LP) who got arrested for assault (witnesses said he did not hit her) and he was suspended for 6 games. The other one (C. Peter) who supposedly sexually assaulted a woman, and was also suspended for it.

Any others you got?

He had better talent than everyone else and underachieved for most of his career.
Wow, lie #4. Oklahoma (up until the 90's) always had as much, if not more talent than we did. Always, but Barry cheated, so whatever. Florida St. and Miami (with the exception of 83) always had more talent than we did. Heck, so did Florida and Tennessee.

Yeah, averaging a 10-2 record over 25 years is just pathetic. :rolleyes:

But ill give you a break since I know its all you have in Nebraska and your self worth is tied to how the football team does.
What is even more pathetic is a someone who's identity is tied to hating a team that almost never plays the team you root for, and the greatest moment in you life (even greater than the birth of your children) was the one time in your life that your team actually beat the team you hate. I'm pointing at you.

Besides all of the lies, innuendo, and old wive's tales, in your post, I sense a whole lot of butthurt, too. Either you really are as ignorant as you seem and I feel sorry for you, or just a jealous troll.

Either way, you lose. See you the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Maybe not WAY better. But better, for sure. They have the NC's to prove that. I would say their TOP teams are better (it may switch yearly), and I think the NC's prove that. We could play with them, yes...but I just don't see us winning that conference. I never said Iowa couldn't hang with Wisky, and I think we are on the same level as them. Iowa is a top 20 team in the country IMO (over the last 10 years). It's just that the SEC might have 4-5 on that list. B10 has 3 most likely. I think it will only improve now with Nebraska.

We aren't too far away from being a NC contender, but we still have some work to do. I think we need to worry more about winning our side of the B10 before we consider making a title run.

You are a Nebraska fan arent you?
I agree we are in the top 20 atleast and so is Wiskey and so is OH ST. BCS bowls allow for the "top 10" teams to play. The difference between the bowls is not that great. In the grand scheme of things the difference between going to the NC and going to the Rose could come down to 1 or 2 missed blocks or one player out for 1 game. LUCK plays a big part in that

Last edited:
74 did the fans do roids as well? Just curious, some of you all seem like you might have roid rage. :)

74....seriously man, u say u r just a smartass but to most here u r simply justifying the arrogance of your fanbase. If anyone needs to go away, it's u. There are numerous husker boards that would take u in.
Arrogance? Arrogance?

How is anything I’ve said up to this point arrogance? I’m simply posting things that are factually and historically true, some of your fellow Hawk fans agree. If the truth hurts, I apologize. Maybe I should go post somewhere where people have thick skin and don’t have an inferiority complex such as yours. Maybe Barbie has a message board.

Arrogance is the thought that Iowa and Wisconsin would beat up and injure pretty much any other team and their players, simply because they play a pro style offense and tough defense.

Also, I haven’t insulted your program or personally insulted anyone posting here until a couple of other posters started taking shots. I’ve never said how much Nile Kinnick, Hayden Fry, or Brad Banks suck just to get a rise out of you, because it’s not true, and I don’t want to look like an idiot. I could have taken shots at your program due to the amount of arrests you have had in the past few years, or rhabdo, but I don't have to sink to that level.

If I’ve said something that you disagree with or take offense to, tell me. I’ll discuss it with you and aplogize if needed. But taking shots is juvenile

Last edited:
I believe it was 12-13. I know that you have no idea about this, but when you play teams that are normally ranked first, second, or third in the nation, and not some 5th or 6th best team from some conferece (in the event you were lucky enough to make a bowl) you're not supposed to beat those teams, you don't win many of those games.

Besides, he has 5 National Championships to his resume.

Whoa, a Hawk fan saying this about anyone?? Have you paid attention to what has gone on in Iowa City the past few years? Pot meet kettle.

Let's also just forget about the hundreds of players who never did anything wrong, who went to hospitals to see sick kids, who went to schools to speak to students about the importance of getting an education and staying away from drugs. No lets just focus on the 3 or 4 players per year that actually got into trouble. I'd bet we had less arrests per year during his time than KF has had. The difference is, we were winning MNCs at that time, so the scutiny was much greater.

Do you really like spreading lies? What's next, are you going to bring up the "county scholarship" lie?

Sure, no academic standards, we just have he most Academic All-Americans of all time.

Haters gonna hate.

Lie #2. Any proof of this? No. I will admit that during the 70's or early 80's when everyone else was doing steroids, so were we. But when the NCAA started cleaning up the game, we had to clean up along side of everyone else. Just because you weren't as good, it doesn't mean that we were doing anything wrong.

Oh, and you can thank Boyd Epply for your S&C program. Without him, football wouldn't be what it now is.

Lie #3. Again, can you prepare to substantiate this? Not to excuse the actions of any of the offenders, I remember one player (LP) who got arrested for assault (witnesses said he did not hit her) and he was suspended for 6 games. The other one (C. Peter) who supposedly sexually assaulted a woman, and was also suspended for it.

Any others you got?

Wow, lie #4. Oklahoma (up until the 90's) always had as much, if not more talent than we did. Always, but Barry cheated, so whatever. Florida St. and Miami (with the exception of 83) always had more talent than we did. Heck, so did Florida and Tennessee.

Yeah, averaging a 10-2 record over 25 years is just pathetic. :rolleyes:

What is even more pathetic is a someone who's identity is tied to hating a team that almost never plays the team you root for, and the greatest moment in you life (even greater than the birth of your children) was the one time in your life that your team actually beat the team you hate. I'm pointing at you.

Besides all of the lies, innuendo, and old wive's tales, in your post, I sense a whole lot of butthurt, too. Either you really are as ignorant as you seem and I feel sorry for you, or just a jealous troll.

Either way, you lose. See you the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Oh Nebraska fans, you guys are do cute. So defensive. Always feeling like you have to personally defend Nebraska football. Well hate to tell you this but it isn't 1998 anymore, no one is jealous of your middle of the pack b12 north program. Let me know when you guys win a bcs game this century.

You are a Nebraska fan arent you?
I agree we are in the top 20 atleast and so is Wiskey and so is OH ST. BCS bowls allow for the "top 10" teams to play. The difference between the bowls is not that great. In the grand scheme of things the difference between going to the NC and going to the Rose could come down to 1 or 2 missed blocks or one player out for 1 game. LUCK plays a big part in that

The difference between going to the Orange Bowl or the Outback bowl is a last second TD and 2 blocked FGs, as well. Luck plays a part in going to any bowl and you certainly need a little luck to go to a NC. It also goes the other way in that if you get those lucky things to happen and also have some bad luck along the way (Stanzi getting hurt), you can be right back to square one. But you have to be good enough to put yourself in situations to where luck can go your way (I'm talking to you, ISU. :D), and Iowa has done that.

And no, I am not a Nebraska fan. I just see our team a little differently than others.

Oh Nebraska fans, you guys are do cute. So defensive. Always feeling like you have to personally defend Nebraska football. Well hate to tell you this but it isn't 1998 anymore, no one is jealous of your middle of the pack b12 north program. Let me know when you guys win a bcs game this century.
And you wouldnt defend Iowa? Except for when people take shots at nebraska, 74 is having a reasonable discusion. I it so bad to have outside opinions.

Arrogance? Arrogance?
-- Yep, that's what I said. Not sure why needed to ask me twice

How is anything I’ve said up to this point arrogance? I’m simply posting things that are factually and historically true, some of your fellow Hawk fans agree. If the truth hurts, I apologize. Maybe I should go post somewhere where people have thick skin and don’t have an inferiority complex such as yours. Maybe Barbie has a message board.
-- When you think everything you say is based on 100% truth, give constant backhanded "compliments" and talk down to others, it comes off as arrogant, just my opinion.
As for thick skin, check out the Neb rivals board and get back to me. I have a LOT of family and friends that are Neb fans... I don't think they are the ones to spout off about thick skin. Your response to some of the posts in this thread shows the "thick skin" you have yourself. If Neb is so big and mighty, it should roll right off of you, right?
Not sure where you think I have an inferiority complex.... I will tell you this- Neb is one of the top 5 teams of all time. They have an outstanding tradition. Iowa could not carry Neb's jock when it comes to tradition. I think they have a 50/50 shot to win the B10 next year. I have no problem saying that, yet I have an inferiority complex? Ok then.

Arrogance is the thought that Iowa and Wisconsin would beat up and injure pretty much any other team and their players, simply because they play a pro style offense and tough defense.
-- No argument here, and I agree with you that it's ridiculous. I'm not on board with the whole Big 10 is going to injure every Nebraskan the second they walk into the stadium next season, it's silly and I don't buy it. I'm one Hawk fan that thinks Neb may very well take the league next year.... I will also add that sometimes the way that Iowa fans (and other Big 10 schools) talk about their beloved Big 10 conference "smash mouth football" reminds me of the way that Neb fans talk about their team. It's the same passion, and much of it is over the top. They think it's the best ever, unmatched, blah, blah, blah...

Also, I haven’t insulted your program or personally insulted anyone posting here until a couple of other posters started taking shots. I’ve never said how much Nile Kinnick, Hayden Fry, or Brad Banks suck just to get a rise out of you, because it’s not true, and I don’t want to look like an idiot. I could have taken shots at your program due to the amount of arrests you have had in the past few years, or rhabdo, but I don't have to sink to that level.
-- The reason people started attacking you is because of the backhanded compliments and arrogant tone you were using... do you really think we're that dense? My god man. It's like calling a hooker a *^%* and then complaining when she slaps you back. It's that "thick skin" thing again....
I haven't insulted the Neb program either, I gave my full respect to them above.

If I’ve said something that you disagree with or take offense to, tell me. I’ll discuss it with you and aplogize if needed. But taking shots is juvenile
-- I already told you why I think you come off as arrogant. No need to re-hash. Yes, taking shots is juvenile, so you should knock that crap off. Even if I did give specific examples (which I shouldn't need to point out due their obvious nature) you wouldn't apogize, you'd tell me to go to a barbie board.

Back to the original topic-
I don't think Neb has a good enough throwing QB for a spread type of offense that would give Iowa fits. I'm honestly surprised they dont' go to a pro style offense. They can recruit the players they want for it, and combined with a stout D, would make for a stronger force in the future, IMO.
Burkhead is going to be their best player next year... he's a stud. I can't believe he didn't get more carries last year. He seems to be good for 4-5 yds every time he touches the ball. If I were Neb, I'd use Burkhead to try and control the clock. I think their season will come down to how well they defend the pro-style teams. They haven't seen them much over the years. They have the athletes to do it, but they have to get better at stopping the run, as they were horrible at it at the end of last season. If they couldn't stop Wash on the ground, they aren't going to stop Wisconsin... all that said, they will have a very strong LB core with David and Fisher coming back.

For the first part of your post, fair enough. Points well taken. My apologies if I offended you.

Back to the original topic-
I agree, we (myself included) have gotten to far off topic. Good call on your part.
I don't think Neb has a good enough throwing QB for a spread type of offense that would give Iowa fits. I'm honestly surprised they dont' go to a pro style offense. They can recruit the players they want for it, and combined with a stout D, would make for a stronger force in the future, IMO.
At this point, I'm not sure. I am hoping that you are wrong. I think that T-Mart CAN be a pretty good thrower if he gets the proper coaching and if our new OC can put him in position to succeed. He threw pretty well against OK St. last year, hopefully he can be more like that.

We won't use a pro-style offense, we already tried that and it didn't work. Bo likes offenses like Urban Meyers' and Oregon's.

Burkhead is going to be their best player next year... he's a stud. I can't believe he didn't get more carries last year. He seems to be good for 4-5 yds every time he touches the ball. If I were Neb, I'd use Burkhead to try and control the clock.
He's a good, solid back. Love the guy. Does everything well, just not the big play guy that Helu was. He will get tons of work.

I think their season will come down to how well they defend the pro-style teams. They haven't seen them much over the years. They have the athletes to do it, but they have to get better at stopping the run, as they were horrible at it at the end of last season. If they couldn't stop Wash on the ground, they aren't going to stop Wisconsin... all that said, they will have a very strong LB core with David and Fisher coming back.
I agree. We need to shore up the defense against the run. I am hoping that the reason we seemed weak again the run is because 1) our style of defense was designed to shut down the passing game, which we did against pretty much everyone but OK St and OU (at times) and 2) because LB was our one weakness on D last year.

David is great, but undersized. Fisher is coming off of injury, and his height (6'6") can make him a little of a liability at LB. Compton has been merely serviceable and solid. E Martin is a whiz on special teams, but was kind of lost at LB, now supposedly will make an impact at DE. JUCO DB Damien Stafford (6'2", 210) is rumored to be possibly moving to WLB, fwiw.

1. Professional teams run pro style offenses because it is the best style given the defensive talent they face.
1a. That density of talent does not exist at the college level, thus spread type formations are able to thrive in a given system in a given year.

2. If you want to look at sustainability, then look at the average tenure of pro style coaches vs spread style coaches.

3. Spread offenses are effective but are generally a Plan B teams that know they can't recruit and compete with a pro style. That doesn't make it any less of a legitimate offensive scheme.

4. I don't care how good of a philosophy the spread offense is, if we lose to a spread offense consistently then it matters greatly to me.

1. Professional teams run pro style offenses because it is the best style given the defensive talent they face.
1a. That density of talent does not exist at the college level, thus spread type formations are able to thrive in a given system in a given year.

2. If you want to look at sustainability, then look at the average tenure of pro style coaches vs spread style coaches.

3. Spread offenses are effective but are generally a Plan B teams that know they can't recruit and compete with a pro style. That doesn't make it any less of a legitimate offensive scheme.

4. I don't care how good of a philosophy the spread offense is, if we lose to a spread offense consistently then it matters greatly to me.

Pretty much. I will say B10 sends alot to NFL on the D side so it stands to reason there is a pretty good density of talented D players in CFB.
I was not trying to pound my chest with the whole smash mouth stuff, I was only trying to point out, many of those types of teams would not do as well in the B10, the reason I think that, is due to injuries of key players in making the spread of having a running qb work. You can agree or not, I dont care.

In thinking about the original post of this thread, I wonder if Iowa's D this year may be better suited to face spread offenses than power offenses.

The linebackers are likely going to be smaller and faster with either Kirksey or Hitchens built more like big safeties and Morris being slightly smaller and quicker than our usual MLB.

The D-line is also likely to smaller but quick with whoever is at DT with Daniels being undersized unless Carl Davis takes that spot.

The only true power running team we have on the schedule is MSU, with Michigan maybe moving in that direction. I was also somewhat impressed by the substitutions Norm made in the second half of the Missouri game to get better pass defenders on the field. We will likely lack tight coverage, but may have more defenders in position to limit gains this year.

In thinking about the original post of this thread, I wonder if Iowa's D this year may be better suited to face spread offenses than power offenses.

The linebackers are likely going to be smaller and faster with either Kirksey or Hitchens built more like big safeties and Morris being slightly smaller and quicker than our usual MLB.

The D-line is also likely to smaller but quick with whoever is at DT with Daniels being undersized unless Carl Davis takes that spot.

The only true power running team we have on the schedule is MSU, with Michigan maybe moving in that direction. I was also somewhat impressed by the substitutions Norm made in the second half of the Missouri game to get better pass defenders on the field. We will likely lack tight coverage, but may have more defenders in position to limit gains this year.

I think thats a reasonable assumption. It will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder where our D ends up ranked at the end of this coming season.

Infatuation with the spread is a joke. Nebby doesn't run a spread...they run the ball. Can anyone define a spread? Or is it just anytime an offense puts up a lot of points?

(1) The spread has formations that force defenses into man on man matchups.
(2) The spread forces defenses to be athletic.
(a) Defenses can't key on the line of scrimmage (like they could with Osborne's option, the wishbone, or the power I).
The ball carrier can initially be on the line of scrimmage, be behind the LOS, or be beyond the LOS and might take a circuitious route.
(b) Defenses have a hard time double teaming the ball carrier.

Last edited:

Latest posts