Is Minnesota a rivalry??

Is Minnesota a rivalry game

• Yes, there is still bitter blood there.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No, they stink too bad to be a rival.

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michhawk76

So I was browsing through big ten news on the Star Tribune and found this comment posted on an article:

This is ESPECIALLY true about the iowa game. Do NOT let any more than the minimum number of iowa fans into the game. Most likely, they will be decent human beings and Big Ten Fans. But do NOT try to get a few bucks for your Gopher tickets at the risk of allowing the drunken hordes of iowa boorish dudes and dudettes into that game the way there were in the dome in 2008.
I don't know if the gophers can beat iowa this season, but, I am certain that it won't be a 55-0 bashing with the classless ferentz throwing bombs into the endzone during the last few minutes of the fourth quarter trying to up the humiliating score.
Keep iowa fans out of our stadium. Show up. Use your ticket as a Gopher Fan. The Big Ten record will tell us all we need to know about the administration, the athletic director and the football coach. Let's hope for for as many Big Ten wins as possible. I do believe the Gophers are going to win some Big Ten games in 2010. They NEED to! It is our job as fans to keep iowa fans OUT of the stadium.

It appears to me that some Minny fans still really do not like Iowa. I have thought for years that Minnesota was not a rivalry for Iowa. How many of you out there still dislike Minnesota a lot?

Last edited:
I do, but I went to college by the Minny border and about half of my school came from minnesota and were gopher fans. i think more gophers will show up than usual because they really are getting sick of being whomped by us, but there will be plenty of empty seats for Kinnick North supporters to find. Besides, "classless Ferentz throwing bombs into the endzone during the last few minutes fo the fourth quarter?"....did they watch the games? Anyway, if you don't want to be scored upon, do something about it. running, throwing, kicking, heck, we'll crab walk it into the endzone if you want, but its not our fault your players cant stop anyone...

I can easily see both sides here.

On one hand, I don't really hate the Goophers. How can you hate someone that hands you an automatic win each year?

On the other hand, though, I am going to be super-****** when/if they even score on us. That will ruin my whole weekend. ;)

Seriously, though, after all that jawing about the way the sent Hayden out, they want to talk about Ferentz being "classless"? We could have easily hung a 100 on them that day, instead of the 55 that we did...

Did he/she really use classless and ferentz in the same sentence? I stopped reading after that.

While it hasn't been competitive lately, they still hold the overall edge in record for the pig, 39-34-2. So I would say we would have to hold that by a few games for it not to be considered a rivalry.

Ferentz used that game for bowl positioning and to get the seniors one last hurrah. Classless and ferentz in the same sentence should be ground rules for immediate perma ban.

It's still a rivalry. It may not be competitive, but it is still a rivalry.

Besides, leave it to Minnesota fans to yell out "WHO HATES IOWA?! WE HATE IOWA!!" during random sporting events that do not actually involve the Hawkeyes.

Its a rivalry, but a weak one right now. I get excited to see Floyd get claimed by the Hawks, but the game itself leaves me wanting.

Their new stadium is going to be > 50% Hawk fans for the game this year. 2-9 Minnesota isn't going to be a big draw for Brewster's final game.

I don't know if the gophers can beat iowa this season, but, I am certain that it won't be a 55-0 bashing with the classless ferentz throwing bombs into the endzone during the last few minutes of the fourth quarter trying to up the humiliating score.

That would certainly be interesting, as I think we attempted a grand total of 4 passes in the fourth quarter.

The first was right at the beginning of the 4th quarter, when Stanzi passed to Moeaki for the TD.

The second was a Jake Christensen pass to Trey Stross, close to the endzone.

The third and fourth were incomplete passes, with about 10 minutes to go in the game. Any evidence that they were deep bombs to the endzone?
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers - Play By Play - November 22, 2008 - ESPN

Saying its a rivalry just because they want it to be does not make it one.

Let me ask you this question am I in rivalry with Brad Pitt for woman just because I want the woman he gets?

Mich/OSU is going down the tube also because Mi has beat them in how many years.

Let me ask you this question am I in rivalry with Brad Pitt for woman just because I want the woman he gets?

Mich/OSU is going down the tube also because Mi has beat them in how many years.

spot on wrong there.

not even sure what you're talking about here or how it in any way relates to the discussion at hand.

Even if some Iowa fans don't think its a rivalry right at the moment based on the past few seasons. It would be hard to argue that Minnesota is not Iowa's all time biggest rival in football history.

Even if some Iowa fans don't think its a rivalry right at the moment based on the past few seasons. It would be hard to argue that Minnesota is not Iowa's all time biggest rival in football history.

not even sure what you're talking about here or how it in any way relates to the discussion at hand.

spot on wrong there.

Umm...did you have to triple-post responses to the same quote?

Latest posts