Is Matt Painter all that special?

It is common for guys to get over-hyped a bit. Everybody wants to anoint the next "wunderkind". But Big Ten coach of the year 3/4 years is pretty impressive on a resume.
If Alford was worth the money we paid him, I think Painter definitely is worth 2M/year. (but yeah, I know alford wasn't) :)

Special? Yes, I do believe he road the short bus earlier in life.

Seriously tho, I do not like the guy. Arrogant types are not my favorite. But mainly his random yelling, as our guys were about to shoot free throws is what drove me towards disliking this chump.

Box out, box out! And whatever else he was randomly yelling, just as our players were about to shoot, really ****** me off. I do not believe opposing coaches should be allowed to do that. Zero class regardless.
Then again, we can't make free throws anyhow...

Rivals had Moore ranked 35th overall in the class of 2007. What do you define as a "must get"?

Moore had offers from Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Cincy, GT, Illinois, TN...a good list. not an elite list. No Kansas, no UNC, no Duke, no Syracuse, no one that has won a NC for a long, long time.

I don't really get this post. It's not like Indiana was a major player recently and then just fell off when he got the job. Indiana has been down since basically the mid 90's, they had a fluke title run in '02 and we're decent in Sampson's last year but that was about it. Indiana had already been missing on almost every big time in state recruit for a long time before Painter got the job. Also you do realize Mike Anderson was not fired right?

Fluke title run? You win five in a row in the tournament, hard to call that a fluke. And I never said Anderson was fired. I just dont think Painter would have been a big improvement, and I think he would have had less success there than Anderson had.

Moore had offers from Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Cincy, GT, Illinois, TN...a good list. not an elite list. No Kansas, no UNC, no Duke, no Syracuse, no one that has won a NC for a long, long time.

Anytime there is a Top 50 type recruit in your home state I think he should be considered a must get for a program.

Obviously not a must get, no team who had won a title, just three programs who were the national runner up within the previous six years.

Fluke title run? You win five in a row in the tournament, hard to call that a fluke. And I never said Anderson was fired. I just dont think Painter would have been a big improvement, and I think he would have had less success there than Anderson had.

Yeah it was certainly a fluke title run. Indiana's record during that period:

2000-01: 21-13
2001-02: 25-12 - runner up
2002-03: 21-13

Indiana was pretty average over that span, their run to the championship game came out of no where, and they just caught fire from three during that run. It was basically the definition of a fluke run through the tournament.

And Rivals shows in 2007 that UNC did not sign a single player for that class so that would make sense that they did not offer. Kansas only signed 2 guys and Duke signed 3. Two of those guys were named Singler and Smith. I also dont consider Syracuse as an elite program.

That title run WAS a fluke. The tournament does not always produce the best team as its champion. Given that fact, the Final Four teams are not necessarily the best 4 teams in the tournament. Indiana was 18-9 that year, 11-4 in the Big Ten. That's hardly an outstanding season, especially by Indiana standards. They got hot and made a run. That's all it was. If the tourney was played over right after that one finished, they wouldn't make it that far, IMO.

And they've been consistently mediocre/bad ever since, save for Sampson's last two years, which makes that title run stand even more in a "Of the following, which does NOT belong?".

I just dont think Painter would have been a big improvement, and I think he would have had less success there than Anderson had.

I still don't see the relevance of this. It's not a choice of Painter or Anderson, it's a choice of Painter or someone else who would take the job.

What realistic candidates out there would you rather have than Painter?

Which is completely irrelevant, given that Anderson walked away on his own. Painter is/was a better choice than any other realistic option available to them.

Matt Painter is a great coach. What he hasn't been the last 3 years is a great recruiter. He has let Indiana beat him on the top in state talent when Indiana was awful and Purdue was good. But he still is one of the best coaches in the Big 10. Him leaving would be a huge loss for Purdue

Moore, Johnson, and Hummell all were from the state and all committed during Indiana's coaching change mess between Davis and Sampson. Painter has rode this gravy train for 4 years, and I am very interested to see if he can have them produce again next year without that core.

I am not that sold on Painter. He has done a nice job at Purdue but I don't see him as the next coming of God. I think he is a good fit for Purdue and will have them competitive each year. I don't think he will take them to the Elite 8 anytime soon ... The Big 10 was average at best this season ... And it showed in March Madness. Within the Big 10 ... Wisky, Purdue and OSU looked good but against others (with the exception of OSU) we were average at best ... The Big 10 is just not that good in basketball even though all Big 10 fans like to believe we are an elite basketball conference.

chappelle-player-haters-ball_bigger.jpg

I am not that sold on Painter. He has done a nice job at Purdue but I don't see him as the next coming of God. I think he is a good fit for Purdue and will have them competitive each year. I don't think he will take them to the Elite 8 anytime soon ... The Big 10 was average at best this season ... And it showed in March Madness. Within the Big 10 ... Wisky, Purdue and OSU looked good but against others (with the exception of OSU) we were average at best ... The Big 10 is just not that good in basketball even though all Big 10 fans like to believe we are an elite basketball conference.

If by average at best, you mean the best conference in the nation this year, then I agree.

2011 Big Ten Conference Basketball Standings

Moore, Johnson, and Hummell all were from the state and all committed during Indiana's coaching change mess between Davis and Sampson. Painter has rode this gravy train for 4 years, and I am very interested to see if he can have them produce again next year without that core.

very same thing can be said of Ferentz' best recruiting years - came at times of tumult at other big ten schools + ND. '05 class to name one year. MN, Illinois, ND, etc have all had tough seasons, coaching turmoil. Iowa has benefited in recruiting many years because of this. would you 'paint' Ferentz with the same brush you are painting Painter?

Latest posts