Is Joe Mauer overrated?

Nice post. Anyone who doesn't think he is the best catcher in the league is smoking. And why are there so many Brave fans in Iowa? TBS?

Who in this thread said he was not the best catcher in the league? If that is what you have gathered from this tread, wow.

I also do not live in Iowa, so throw that one out too.

Two years ago I took my dad to a Twins/Brewers game, and Mauer hit two long balls. He had over 20 homers that year. He wasn't doing it with power or bat speed, just a really smooth swing. Take into account that he is a hometown boy, and keeping Joe Mauer a Twin is imperative. If he ever leaves, that fan base will turn rabid.

I absolutely agree with this. He is simply to valuable from a marketing/face of the Twins perspective to let him get away.

In no way is Mauer overrated. He is by far the best catcher in the game, especially when considering all phases of the position. His offensive numbers don't compare to the likes of Pujols, Hamilton, Tulowitzki, etc. But catcher as good as Mauer (in all phases) are EXTREMELY rare, and when you get one, you make sure you keep him.

and it only costs $17 million more per year for Mauer :)

No need to mention McCann's deal was signed 3 years ago when he had two years of service time and the team was essentially buying out his arbitration years. Unless he gets hurt you can bet he will be "overpaid" when he becomes a FA

Joe gets a lot of love around MLB and is seems to be a lock for a top 5-10 in the MVP race annually. His 20+million per season is likely worth it simply due to the revenue he brings in from memorabilia and such.

However, from a pure statistical standpoint, is he really that good? Is it just because he is a catcher? Not to mention his complete disappearing act come playoff time.

Is Joe Mauer overrated?

The entire Twins team disappears during the playoffs.

The entire Twins team disappears during the playoffs.

Or when they play the Yankees. Unfortunately the two have coincided over the last few years.

There was a stat floating around last year that no team over the last few years has a worse record against another team than the Twins v Yankees.

Twins fans should not get excited until the whole team stops pooping their pants whenever the Yankees come to town. They have to go to the Bronx next week for a 4 game set and I have never heard of a team other than the Twins that are supposed to be title contenders that would be happy with winning 1 out of 4 games from a team.

Twins fans should not get excited until the whole team stops pooping their pants whenever the Yankees come to town. They have to go to the Bronx next week for a 4 game set and I have never heard of a team other than the Twins that are supposed to be title contenders that would be happy with winning 1 out of 4 games from a team.

A member of the Twins has said that?

And Brian McCann won how many batting titles??? Zip. Mauer has won three and is just hitting the prime of his career.

Joe gets a lot of love around MLB and is seems to be a lock for a top 5-10 in the MVP race annually. His 20+million per season is likely worth it simply due to the revenue he brings in from memorabilia and such.

However, from a pure statistical standpoint, is he really that good? Is it just because he is a catcher? Not to mention his complete disappearing act come playoff time.

Is Joe Mauer overrated?

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore...:mad:

All good points.

The gold glove has become a joke. Derek Jeter? Really?

Rafael Palmeroid even won one for the American League at 1B...in a season where he played 4 games at 1B...they turned a great award for excellence in the field into an after the season all league team.

Two years ago I took my dad to a Twins/Brewers game, and Mauer hit two long balls. He had over 20 homers that year. He wasn't doing it with power or bat speed, just a really smooth swing. Take into account that he is a hometown boy, and keeping Joe Mauer a Twin is imperative. If he ever leaves, that fan base will turn rabid.

Great points...he's the hometown kid and no way could the franchise let him slip away...a franchise would be crazy to let that happen. Not to mention, it's not like some Chicago area kid that no one knew as he was growing up and he suddenly makes it to the big leagues...the kid's been a legend in Minny since his highschool days and he's a good guy...if you have to overpay a little to keep someone like that, you pretty much have to do it because he means more to the franchise and the city and the state than homers and rbi's.

Great points...he's the hometown kid and no way could the franchise let him slip away...a franchise would be crazy to let that happen. Not to mention, it's not like some Chicago area kid that no one knew as he was growing up and he suddenly makes it to the big leagues...the kid's been a legend in Minny since his highschool days and he's a good guy...if you have to overpay a little to keep someone like that, you pretty much have to do it because he means more to the franchise and the city and the state than homers and rbi's.

Not to mention he's super good looking and probably brings chicks to the games!;) I'm thinking of going to a few this year and I don't really care for baseball!

As a Sox fan, I respect Mauer's talent. I do not look at salaries when I assess a ballplayer's talent. He is the best catcher in the AL right now, no doubt.
He is one of the best hitters in the MLB. That is a great combo for any club to have on their roster.
As an opponent, there are few guys I want at the plate less in a rbi-critical situation than Mauer. He always makes contact,it seems,and even when he does not square it up,he has an uncanny ability to ducksnort it out in front of the outfielders.

That said, this year the Twins pixie dust is going to go away and the Sox will emerge triumphant....I hope.

summary = shane has mancrush ;)

Latest posts