Is Joe Mauer overrated?

iahawk20

Joe gets a lot of love around MLB and is seems to be a lock for a top 5-10 in the MVP race annually. His 20+million per season is likely worth it simply due to the revenue he brings in from memorabilia and such.

However, from a pure statistical standpoint, is he really that good? Is it just because he is a catcher? Not to mention his complete disappearing act come playoff time.

Is Joe Mauer overrated?

Simple answer, he is not overrated. One of the hardest guys to get out in the MLB. People are so wrapped around the long ball, this guy is one of the purest hitters in the game. Plus his defensive skills are top notch, he also calls a helluva game behind the plate.

Joe gets a lot of love around MLB and is seems to be a lock for a top 5-10 in the MVP race annually. His 20+million per season is likely worth it simply due to the revenue he brings in from memorabilia and such.

However, from a pure statistical standpoint, is he really that good? Is it just because he is a catcher? Not to mention his complete disappearing act come playoff time.

Is Joe Mauer overrated?

I wouldn't say he completely disappeared during the playoff times. Last year he only hit .250 and in '09 he hit .417 in the postseason. Sure he doesn't hit many HR's and that's what gets you on Sports Center, but he has a career OBP of .407. He might be a little overpaid and he's not a superstar like Pujols, but powerhitting 1B are a lot easier to find than catchers. Also, don't underrate Mauer's defensive ability. He's won 3 straight gold glves, although I realize that award can be pretty subjective at times.

I wouldn't say he completely disappeared during the playoff times. Last year he only hit .250 and in '09 he hit .417 in the postseason. Sure he doesn't hit many HR's and that's what gets you on Sports Center, but he has a career OBP of .407. He might be a little overpaid and he's not a superstar like Pujols, but powerhitting 1B are a lot easier to find than catchers. Also, don't underate Mauer's defensive ability. He's won 3 straight gold glves, although I realize that award can be pretty subjective at times.

All good points.

The gold glove has become a joke. Derek Jeter? Really?

All good points.

The gold glove has become a joke. Derek Jeter? Really?
I agree as well. I also never understood how they select what pitcher gets the Gold glove, I realize catching a comeback hit is hard but almost all the pitchers know how to field a bunt or a soft infield hit.

I wouldn't say he completely disappeared during the playoff times. Last year he only hit .250 and in '09 he hit .417 in the postseason. Sure he doesn't hit many HR's and that's what gets you on Sports Center, but he has a career OBP of .407. He might be a little overpaid and he's not a superstar like Pujols, but powerhitting 1B are a lot easier to find than catchers. Also, don't underrate Mauer's defensive ability. He's won 3 straight gold glves, although I realize that award can be pretty subjective at times.

In 35 postseason at bats he has 9 hits (.286 average) with ) 0 HRs, 1 RBI, and 7 strike outs. In his career (836 games) he is a lifetime .327 hitter, averaging 16 HRs, 91 RBI. He has a OBP of .407 and SLG of .481.

Statistically he is on par with Brian McCann.

In his career (755 games) he is a lifetime .289 hitter, averaging 24 HRs, 100 RBI, and 70runs. He has a OBP of .360 and SLG of .489. Not to mention McCann actually IMPROVES come playoff time with a .300 BA, 3 HRs, and8 RBIs in 30 at bats

The difference is Mauer is the face of MLB and will continue to get love because of that factor.

Simple answer, he is not overrated. One of the hardest guys to get out in the MLB. People are so wrapped around the long ball, this guy is one of the purest hitters in the game. Plus his defensive skills are top notch, he also calls a helluva game behind the plate.

No doubt he hits a lot of singles. You just would not want him at the plate with the game on the line or in the playoffs.

No doubt he hits a lot of singles. You just would not want him at the plate with the game on the line or in the playoffs.
Two years ago I took my dad to a Twins/Brewers game, and Mauer hit two long balls. He had over 20 homers that year. He wasn't doing it with power or bat speed, just a really smooth swing. Take into account that he is a hometown boy, and keeping Joe Mauer a Twin is imperative. If he ever leaves, that fan base will turn rabid.

I agree with blackngold, not overrated at all. there is more to the game of baseball than the long ball. well worth it in my opinion... but im also biased.

The gold glove is a joke. if you have won one in the past you are automatically in the running for another one. Some people earn it, others its a popularity thing

In 35 postseason at bats he has 9 hits (.286 average) with ) 0 HRs, 1 RBI, and 7 strike outs. In his career (836 games) he is a lifetime .327 hitter, averaging 16 HRs, 91 RBI. He has a OBP of .407 and SLG of .481.

In his career (755 games) he is a lifetime .289 hitter, averaging 24 HRs, 100 RBI, and 70runs. He has a OBP of .360 and SLG of .489. Not to mention McCann actually IMPROVES come playoff time with a .300 BA, 3 HRs, and8 RBIs in 30 at bats

The difference is Mauer is the face of MLB and will continue to get love because of that factor.

Pretty hard to make a reasonable analysis of playoff performance based on such a small sample size of AB's.

RBI's can be a poor indicator of performance based on opportunity and position in the batting order. Mauer typically hits 3rd and sometimes 2nd. McCann was the Braves' cleanup hitter yesterday.

Mauer dominates McCann in terms of OBP (.407 to .360) and OPS (the best single stat for judging offense) (.888 to .849). McCann does hit for a little more power as indicated by the slight difference in SLG (.481 to .489). McCann strikes out at a much higher rate (avg per 162 = 86) compared to Mauer (68).

This doesn't even get into the difference in defensive ability where Mauer has a much higher caught stealing rate (36% to 24%) and Fld % (.996 to .988) McCann is a good player, but Mauer is better.

Pretty hard to make a reasonable analysis of playoff performance based on such a small sample size of AB's.

RBI's can be a poor indicator of performance based on opportunity and position in the batting order. Mauer typically hits 3rd and sometimes 2nd. McCann was the Braves' cleanup hitter yesterday.

Mauer dominates McCann in terms of OBP (.407 to .360) and OPS (the best single stat for judging offense) (.888 to .849). McCann does hit for a little more power as indicated by the slight difference in SLG (.481 to .489). McCann strikes out at a much higher rate (avg per 162 = 86) compared to Mauer (68).

This doesn't even get into the difference in defensive ability where Mauer has a much higher caught stealing rate (36% to 24%) and Fld % (.996 to .988) McCann is a good player, but Mauer is better.
Nice post. Anyone who doesn't think he is the best catcher in the league is smoking. And why are there so many Brave fans in Iowa? TBS?

Hitting over 30 points higher is not being slightly better. It is being light years better.

Hitting over 30 points higher is not being slightly better. It is being light years better.

Also, people shouldn't put so much stock in the lack of HR power from the Twins last year. Target Field proved to be a pitcher friendly park. My guess is if Mauer would have been in the Dome last year, he would have hit around 15-20.

HR splits (Home/Away)
Mauer (1/8)
Morneau (4/14)
Young (8/13)
Span (0/3)

Thome was one of the few who had success at Target with (15/10)

If the Twins want to get the most out of their 160 million dollar investment they would be best to move Mauer out from behind the plate.

and it only costs $17 million more per year for Mauer :)

Latest posts