Is Ivory Kelly-Martin

I

Ian Pike Hammer

out of the mix now? With the emergence of Goodson, IKM got a grand total of 1 carry last week.

I was surprised that IKM got little while Goodson got a lot. I thought IKM gave us a big boost in the 2nd half against ISU.

The RB rotation pattern changes every game. I don't know if the coaches think they see matchups or what.

I think we're going to see Goodson more and more early in these next two games.

His role, if he has one, is now more or less third down back/blitz pickup.

I brought up the idea during the winter of moving him to wideout full time, like Hayden Fry did with Mike Saunders for one season when he had the one two punch of Nick Bell and Tony Stewart. But that kind of out of the box thinking is not high on Kirk's agenda with skill position players, and he would now have an even more difficult time breaking into the receiver rotation than Oliver Martin or Max Cooper.

Things may change a lot either due to injuries and better competition. One big question is Goodson able to pass block and pick up protection? If not it may be difficult to get him a lot of plays if that is an issue. We need to keep Nate clean and if Kelly Martin can do that there will be a role. Can he return punts? Really we just need someone to catch the ball.

His role, if he has one, is now more or less third down back/blitz pickup.

I brought up the idea during the winter of moving him to wideout full time, like Hayden Fry did with Mike Saunders for one season when he had the one two punch of Nick Bell and Tony Stewart. But that kind of out of the box thinking is not high on Kirk's agenda with skill position players, and he would now have an even more difficult time breaking into the receiver rotation than Oliver Martin or Max Cooper.
If OM, an actual reciever, can't see the field due to.the 4 above him, IKM won't either.

I think his best bet is to focus on returns and try to win the punt return job.

I've said this for a long time about playing or redshirting someone. I hope that player is good enough that we regret not redshirting them.

I'm a big fan of IKM. Love the way he runs and he's a good receiver too. He has serviceable power and break away speed and he has moves. He reminds me of a stronger more powerful Canzeri.

Goodson has literally helped us win games already this year. That play he made at Iowa State (that no other back on our team likely makes), led to points. Points we needed in a one point victory.

Goodson wants to play and he can help our team this year. We are 4-0 and top 15 in the country, it’s all hands on deck to try to get to Indy.

Also I like the point that others have made that a redshirt can be used if god forbid he got hurt at some point in his career.

i think against teams where they have faster rather than bigger defenders you will see ikm more. iowa state was the fastest defense we've played, that's why they played him more there to get his speed on the field. i think you'll see him against penn state, purdue, teams like that. i think against your michigan and wiscy's you'll probably see more of a power game so more sargeant and toren.

I know I'm in the minority, but shut him down. Will need his fifth season to send KF off with a bang.

Agreed. If he's not gonna be the feature back...save the year. The X factor is Goodson himself. He may have said he doesn't want to redshirt.

He don't have much of a role so much as insurance... Every school has a 4th Rb available. We are fortunate ours is pretty versatile and good.

Latest posts