Is it true the Illinois didn't participate in the wave?

briney11

I had to miss the first quarter today. I saw something on twitter but couldn't quite tell in the videos.

I can't get mad at teams who don't.
I mean, I would if I was a visiting player...but I just can't get mad when they don't. They're there to play football....I get it.

I appreciate the ones who do.
I was quite touched by McCarthy talking about looking forward to it. He does a lit of hospital visits I guess. And when they showed him genuinely smiling and waving. Loved it.

But I just can't get mad when they don't. I want to, but I just can't bring myself to it.

Classless if true. Anyone that has had a family member with a serious illness should educate their players about what it means to those kids. There is a delay in game regardless to do it a changing of field and such.

Surprised? Have you forgotten who is coaching the Cheatin' IIlini? I didn't see the three but did not expect to see any.

Simple courtesy should be sufficient to wave to little kids with cancer. Nice to know we cinched the title against them.

I always watch how the visiting teams participate in the wave. They waived for quite a while. I don’t expect them to waive all the way through the quarter break. I’m no Illinois fan, but this is nothing to be outraged about.

Probably about half the team was out on the field in a large huddle around the coaches and they did not wave. The players on the sideline turned around and did. My wife and I commented that it was the first time we remembered a team not participating.

Yeah, I agree that we don't really have the right to be outraged about it. I just have not seen where a visiting team did not go out onto the field and wave. Not that I remember anyway. It is kind of a jerk move though and shows a lack of character on their part. Which is how I've always known Illinois (and Missouri for that matter) to be since I started watching Iowa football and basketball in the early to mid 80's. They have never done anything to change my mind.

Yeah, I agree that we don't really have the right to be outraged about it. I just have not seen where a visiting team did not go out onto the field and wave. Not that I remember anyway. It is kind of a jerk move though and shows a lack of character on their part. Which is how I've always known Illinois (and Missouri for that matter) to be since I started watching Iowa football and basketball in the early to mid 80's. They have never done anything to change my mind.

I've seen a fair number of teams just...
Just.
A few teams where maybe a lot of the bench is waving...but the players on the field don't. They're huddled up or whatnot. Clear the team hasn't decided on a plan and just leave it up to people.
I just can't argue that.

Like I said...I appreciate the teams that do. And the officials/security/support staff/trainers...all people with jobs to do finding a moment yo gives a wave. I just can't get mad at anyone who doesn't.

I also didn't stand for "God Bless America" at MLB games...or take my hat off. At least not after 2013. It isn't the national anthem. It isn't baseball tradition. They only kept doing it because they could host Mrs. Flenderson's 4th grade choir from Pittfield Elemntary School to lead it. Which then required the school parents to purchase 250 tickets.

Granted, The Wave is different. And I participate wholeheartedly in such a wonderful thing. But if an opposing team doesn't? I just can't get bent out of shape.

Although I'm not outraged, why wouldn't Iowa fans have the right to be outraged? It was rude and directed more or less at fans.

More annoying than outraging from my seat-'cause Illinois will become known to some as the team that wouldn't wave at the little kids with cancer. Great reflection of their coach.

Last edited:
The announcer sets a clear limit on the length of the wave. There is no excuse for non participation by the visitors. A conversation about strategy between coaches and players shortened by about one minute has no impact on the game. Join in the WAVE or be ready for criticism for your indifference.

Latest posts