Is it true the Illinois didn't participate in the wave?

Meh, nobody has to participate. It's an invidual choice.
You raise a good point. I don't think anyone is saying that anyone else should be forced to participate. But, life is a series of choices. You can choose to do things that will be seen as socially benign or malignant. But you have to accept that malignant public decisions also make the "public" see you as an asshole.

So, the Cheatin' Illini just gave Iowans another reason to think Illinois is a shady athletic circle led and supported by assholes. Afterall, isn't trashing Illinois always the right thing to do?

You are probably a naturally nice person, so it's probably hard for you to understand why anybody would not want to participate in the wave.

But speaking as somebody who is not a naturally nice person, asking me to participate in the wave feels fake and phony to me. Oh let's wave to the poor sick kids to make them feel better. What good people we are. What a bunch of crap from my own perspective. It's all just a PR stunt my cynical side says. But oh well, I guess I will follow along anyway because I don't want to branded as an outcast. But it does not me feel better about myself, and since I am a selfish person, thats all that matters, how it makes me feel, not anybody else. I don't say this with any pride but I am probably the only Iowa fan that does not like the wave. It's OK because it's voluntary. But I would be upset if they ever tried to force somebody to do it.
I think you're absolutely right. It's an individual's choice to participate and IMO if we mandate it or "expect participation" it loses what makes it special. It's a choice and rightfully should be. If people want to do participate then by all means they should, but if others don't it shouldn't be looked down upon or expected, because then its simply going through the motions.

You are probably a naturally nice person, so it's probably hard for you to understand why anybody would not want to participate in the wave.

But speaking as somebody who is not a naturally nice person, asking me to participate in the wave feels fake and phony to me. Oh let's wave to the poor sick kids to make them feel better. What good people we are. What a bunch of crap from my own perspective. It's all just a PR stunt my cynical side says. But oh well, I guess I will follow along anyway because I don't want to branded as an outcast. But it does not me feel better about myself, and since I am a selfish person, thats all that matters, how it makes me feel, not anybody else. I don't say this with any pride but I am probably the only Iowa fan that does not like the wave. It's OK because it's voluntary. But I would be upset if they ever tried to force somebody to do it.
I really don’t like your post.

I am not a naturally nice person. Indeed, I'm fairly public about my lack of niceness. My parents didn't even think I was nice.

But I'm also sufficiently human to give kids with cancer 30 seconds of my time waving at them.

While I agree that much of the good people do is done for the purpose of being seen as doing good, rather than actually caring and actually doing good, a thirty second wave is not really much participation when the alternative is seen as indifference to the suffering of children with cancer.

I also didn't stand for "God Bless America" at MLB games...or take my hat off. At least not after 2013. It isn't the national anthem.
This is the way I am with that Alma Mater song they play before games. I don't get it and couldn't care less.

To add a little perspective. We had a child who spent the good parts of 3 years of her life battling different kinds of cancers. We got to meet several players up on the floors while getting treated and many more at DM or Alumni Association events. Many came up because they wanted to, but for some of the events the Fr/Sophs were required to go.

I don't think the families that met with the players cared if they came voluntarily or if they were forced. They were just overwhelmed by the idea that they were getting supported by their idols.

To add a little perspective. We had a child who spent the good parts of 3 years of her life battling different kinds of cancers. We got to meet several players up on the floors while getting treated and many more at DM or Alumni Association events. Many came up because they wanted to, but for some of the events the Fr/Sophs were required to go.

I don't think the families that met with the players cared if they came voluntarily or if they were forced. They were just overwhelmed by the idea that they were getting supported by their idols.
And I'll add to this from my own experience, many of the most blessed times of my life were times that I served or blessed others initially only out of obligation or being required.

I also didn't stand for "God Bless America" at MLB games...or take my hat off. At least not after 2013. It isn't the national anthem. It isn't baseball tradition. They only kept doing it because they could host Mrs. Flenderson's 4th grade choir from Pittfield Elemntary School to lead it. Which then required the school parents to purchase 250 tickets.
Dag, your first problem is attending a baseball game in which your children are not competing. If you don't have hemorrhoids going in, you'll feel like you have them when you leave; four hours later after an exciting 4-2 game. ;)

Dag, your first problem is attending a baseball game in which your children are not competing. If you don't have hemorrhoids going in, you'll feel like you have them when you leave; four hours later after an exciting 4-2 game. ;)

I'm from St. Louis and had to move back there. Pretty much regional law that you go regularly or they'll kick you out of the region.

I used to enjoy it. Had seats for several years in the old and new stadium. It got tedious at the end though. Only been maybe 10 times since we gave them up around 10 years ago. Once a year feels right.

Early covid games were great.like 4 seats at opposite ends...and a row in between. It was much nicer without people.

I'm from St. Louis and had to move back there. Pretty much regional law that you go regularly or they'll kick you out of the region.

I used to enjoy it. Had seats for several years in the old and new stadium. It got tedious at the end though. Only been maybe 10 times since we gave them up around 10 years ago. Once a year feels right.

Early covid games were great.like 4 seats at opposite ends...and a row in between. It was much nicer without people.
Almost everything is more fun without people.

Covid gave me a polite excuse to spray Lysol when people could still hear it. Also, very little hand shaking and a polite excuse to use hand sanitizer.