Is it possible we may be giving OSU to much credit and Iowa not enough

No. It's not possible we're giving OSU too much credit.

I won't be surprised to see OSU second and third string play significant minutes in the second half.

Of course, Kirt and Dave still be plowing Weisman and Bullock into the 8-man box while your other power back (who's just too young and inexperienced to bring anything to your power-rushing attack) will watch his shirt continue to burn because the other guys "give us the best chance to win". Go Hawks!

Buck-I 44, Hawk-I 12.

I'm afraid this might turn into the Michigan game from last year. A spread team with a mobile QB who can extend plays. I don't think Tanner Miller and Lowdermilk are up to the task of preventing the deep ball from Braxton.

Good point. Both will be caught in no-mans land expecting Miller to run. That won't be good. And I doubt very much that we blitz Miller because he can run.

I don't think OSU is #4 in the country good, but they're the best team in the B10, and MILES better than the Hawks. What we have to hope for is turnovers and OSU not being up for this game.

I think KF will have us come out even more conservative than normal, since this is a road game, and it's pretty obvious we're going up against a much better team. Much like his comment in never returning punts, I don't see him taking much risk in any area of the game plan. We will try to control the clock, and therefore try and keep the score down.

OSU has to pound Iowa on the scoreboard if they want to go to the NC. While they're in better conference and shape than Louisville, look what happened to them by only beating their last opponent 24-10.

Meyer is gonna go for the kill in this one. Is there a chance Iowa wins, of course. It's just so unlikely. I'd say don't get your hopes up at all, don't be surprised if Iowa comes out flat and looks like they just want to get out of there healthy.

I expect that Iowa will use Daniels more as the season goes on or else they would have red shirted him. In a game like this one that they will be utilizing a power run game he might just get 5-10 carries.

I expect that Iowa will use Daniels more as the season goes on or else they would have red shirted him. In a game like this one that they will be utilizing a power run game he might just get 5-10 carries.

I think KF burned his RS to get him some carries early because of our history of injuries at the RB position. If MW and DB stay healthy, Daniels won't get many carries for the rest of the year. IMO.
The other guys are upperclassmen and that's the way KF does it, barring injury.

Ohio St is off a bye too, its like back to back bye weeks for them. Meyer doesn't even have to game plan for the Hawks on either side of the ball its a glorified scrimmage. He will take it easy on Iowa as KF is well respected around the football world, and will be looking forward to PSU. Can Iowa win NO, can Iowa cover 16.5/17 maybe but if they do it will be out of mercy not talent or being in the game.

Ohio St is off a bye too, its like back to back bye weeks for them. Meyer doesn't even have to game plan for the Hawks on either side of the ball its a glorified scrimmage. He will take it easy on Iowa as KF is well respected around the football world, and will be looking forward to PSU. Can Iowa win NO, can Iowa cover 16.5/17 maybe but if they do it will be out of mercy not talent or being in the game.

Dude, I'm getting old so my memory ain't what it once was, but isn't this the same Ohio State team that was going for two after early TDs against some team like Buffalo or some other awful team? I ain't counting on one shred of mercy and from what I witnessed in Evanston, I don't want our first string out there long if this game gets ugly early because the Buckeyes are cheap shot artists and will blitz our QB every freaking play and then hit him late. Heck, I'd honestly prefer putting Sokol out there just so we don't get Beathard hurt, too.

Um, no. His old philosophy of two salty lines and a reasonable ball control offense would have kept us in a game against a Tressel coached OSU team. But with Davis calling the offense and running this headless chicken no huddle offense, we'll be lucky to keep this game within 4 TDs.

Bingo, Urb isn't concerned about not embarrassing us. This will be ugly.

How long have you been watching this staff again?

Bingo, Urb isn't concerned about not embarrassing us. This will be ugly.

Yep, the guy has no sense of loyalty to the conference and likely doesn't plan to stay a long time. He knows Ferentz will never be in a position to reciprocate a 48 point beatdown so he will unleash on us and play the most classless game we will ever see (e.g., going for 2, going for fourth and short late in the game with a big lead, passing late in the 4th quarter, etc.). This might be harder to watch than the Arizona State game in 2004. Guys, I really don't want to get negative about this game, but I am genuinely concerned about how some of you guys might handle it if this thing gets out of hand. So please, do not get too drunk on Saturday and if you have a bad temper, please stay away from your wives/girlfriends/kids until you have cooled down a little bit.

OSU is not a top 5 team. That being said... we will be overmatched. They will focus on stopping our run game and I think our receivers will struggle to get open. OSU 35 Iowa 16.

Let's just hope there are more positives than what the score will indicate.....Like, no one getting hurt, and proving that we can at least compete for most of the game....We'll see come Saturday...

OSU is not a top 5 team. That being said... we will be overmatched. They will focus on stopping our run game and I think our receivers will struggle to get open. OSU 35 Iowa 16.

OSU's secondary is terrible. Our receivers will get open, but the QB will have a fraction of a second to get the rock out because they are going to blitz him every play. Maybe we score a long TD on a bubble screen, but if we wind up with over 150 yards passing, I'll be stunned.

....Heck, I'd honestly prefer putting Sokol out there just so we don't get Beathard hurt, too.
Probably a very good idea on a couple levels. Sokol is the clear #3 because he can't execute the O as planned. JR goes out there and does what the coaches want him to do and he has been playing well. CJB is the athletic one. He has shown he has an arm. After watching his JC footage and seeing him in the three practices this year my conclusion is Sokol is the clear #1 in improvising after protection breaks down. If Brutus is blitzing like crazy and getting into the backfield consistently then to me Sokol is the obvious choice to make the best of it and saves JR from possible injury.

The three QBs are like three different kinds of musicians the way I see it. JR is the first chair symphony player-plays what is written with his own flare and style. CJ is like your typical Nashville session player-he just fits in and does his thing well. Sokol is a jazz player-improve is his forte.

The issue w/ Sokol is he hasn't had any real snaps this year but the other two have. I'm not sold on the idea of getting your first D-1 snaps in the 'Shoe but I think he can contribute in what may be a very difficult situation for the Hawks on Saturday.

OSU's secondary is terrible. Our receivers will get open, but the QB will have a fraction of a second to get the rock out because they are going to blitz him every play. Maybe we score a long TD on a bubble screen, but if we wind up with over 150 yards passing, I'll be stunned.

Our receivers can't get open in practice.
The one that can will probably be in the game for 3 or 4 plays, max.

Probably a very good idea on a couple levels. Sokol is the clear #3 because he can't execute the O as planned. JR goes out there and does what the coaches want him to do and he has been playing well. CJB is the athletic one. He has shown he has an arm. After watching his JC footage and seeing him in the three practices this year my conclusion is Sokol is the clear #1 in improvising after protection breaks down. If Brutus is blitzing like crazy and getting into the backfield consistently then to me Sokol is the obvious choice to make the best of it and saves JR from possible injury.

The three QBs are like three different kinds of musicians the way I see it. JR is the first chair symphony player-plays what is written with his own flare and style. CJ is like your typical Nashville session player-he just fits in and does his thing well. Sokol is a jazz player-improve is his forte.

The issue w/ Sokol is he hasn't had any real snaps this year but the other two have. I'm not sold on the idea of getting your first D-1 snaps in the 'Shoe but I think he can contribute in what may be a very difficult situation for the Hawks on Saturday.

James Vandenberg got his first start at OSU and save for Ferentz taking a knee, that game worked out fine. Bring in Sokol!!!!

The best snaps Vandenberg ever had were in the shoe, his sophomore year. Problem is, OSU had their own conservative sleep walker on the sideline. (Tressel) Meyer will be a more formidable coach to face. Hopefully OSU will totally overlook the Hawks. Shocker baby!

Is Iowa better than Buffalo, San Diego St, and Florida A&M? I would think so. Will Iowa be at least the 2nd most physical team Ohio St has played this year besides Wisconsin. I would think so.

OSU is giving up 12.75 points at home and scoring a little over 47 points at home. But, I got to think Iowa's defense (yes the pass d is bad) but the run defense is fairly salty and I would hope that would be good enough to cut down some of their scoring average at home.

All and all it looks like on paper Iowa could keep OSU somewhere in the 30s. Iowa has averaged 25 points scoring on the road (at Iowa St and at Minnesota). They put up 14 on the best defense in the Big Ten (MSU) at home. But OSU run defense is also up there in the top 10 I believe. Iowa can probably score at least 14-17 in this game.

I would say 38-17 which is a 3 score game, but a respectful loss to a top 5 opponent on the road being out-gunned.

Maybe we can force a turnover or two to get the score a little more respectable. But, maybe Iowa is not quite 56-3 bad in this game.....at least I hope.

OSU fan here. I've watched bits and pieces of the Iowa games and most of the MSU game and I confidently say, Iowa will be the second most physical game we've played outside of Wisconsin thus far. It will be interesting to see who wins the battle in the trenches and if Iowa can stop our run game. Is Iowa better than our OOC competition? Yes, they are way better than what we saw the first four weeks, save California pass game.

If Iowa can stop our run game, throw the ball to the recievers and tight end and eliminate Braxton Miller from escaping the pocket and running wild, this game could be closer than some would expect. Also, keep and eye on your secondary.

OSUs pass defense is not very good. They have given up a ton if yards.

True. And I believe that this is the weakness Iowa must exploit. No one knows how this unit will bind following the loss of our senior safety Christian Braynt and subpar play of Pre-Season All American CB Bradley Roby. This group has been excoriated for poor play all year long for unit that was suppose to be the strength of the team.

Latest posts