Is it possible we may be giving OSU to much credit and Iowa not enough

going into this game? Count me in the masses thinking OSU can name the score, but consider:

Regular Season

Sat 8/31
bbp.png
BuffaloW 40 - 20
Sat 9/7
70x70_sdsu_logo.png
San Diego St.W 42 - 7
Sat 9/14
ccd.png
@ CaliforniaW 52 - 34
Sat 9/21
ffb.png
Florida A&MW 76 - 0
Sat 9/28
wwo.png
(23) WisconsinW 31 - 24
Sat 10/5
nnv.png
@ (16) NorthwesternW 40 -30

Is Iowa better than Buffalo, San Diego St, and Florida A&M? I would think so. Will Iowa be at least the 2nd most physical team Ohio St has played this year besides Wisconsin. I would think so.

OSU is giving up 12.75 points at home and scoring a little over 47 points at home. But, I got to think Iowa's defense (yes the pass d is bad) but the run defense is fairly salty and I would hope that would be good enough to cut down some of their scoring average at home.

All and all it looks like on paper Iowa could keep OSU somewhere in the 30s. Iowa has averaged 25 points scoring on the road (at Iowa St and at Minnesota). They put up 14 on the best defense in the Big Ten (MSU) at home. But OSU run defense is also up there in the top 10 I believe. Iowa can probably score at least 14-17 in this game.

I would say 38-17 which is a 3 score game, but a respectful loss to a top 5 opponent on the road being out-gunned.

Maybe we can force a turnover or two to get the score a little more respectable. But, maybe Iowa is not quite 56-3 bad in this game.....at least I hope.

One word answer here: "No"

Um, no. His old philosophy of two salty lines and a reasonable ball control offense would have kept us in a game against a Tressel coached OSU team. But with Davis calling the offense and running this headless chicken no huddle offense, we'll be lucky to keep this game within 4 TDs.

True, the Davis offense probably won't keep the OSU offense off the field much, but maybe Okeefe is tired of the balmy Miami weather and will take a mini-vacation back to IC and be guest offensive coordinator this week.

Iowa has to play almost a perfect game to keep this close. To win...a perfect game. That is unlikely. I think Urban will be full metal jacket from here on out...he knows he does not play a ranked team the rest of the way, so to leapfrog Clemson and Oregon, he will need some huge blowouts. Now, that might just help keep Iowa in the game if they get too reckless and we pick off some passes. Miller has not been 100% to this point but with two weeks maybe he will be, but if not, he might not run as well as last year, which reinforces my thought that Iowa needs to play Norm Parker cover two...and try like hell to limit over the top passes...make them complete everything in front of the defense, and then try to pound them on the tackle...at least they might not score as quickly. Iowa needs to throw caution to the winds on offense...come out passing....pass to run. Try to beat Roby over the top with Powell if we have the wind at our back or Beathard is in the game....I just have a sneaking suspicion that Beathard had a great two weeks and will play in this game. Go Hawks!

This year's offense has been better controlling the clock than most years with KOK outside of one game where they mostly passed the ball. They just need to get back to running on more plays than they pass, and pick up first downs consistently. Like what they did in their wins.

This year's offense has been better controlling the clock than most years with KOK outside of one game where they mostly passed the ball. They just need to get back to running on more plays than they pass, and pick up first downs consistently. Like what they did in their wins.

OSU decided to stop Wisky's running attack and they did...and Wisky quickly went to a pass game. Iowa needs to dispense with the whole early offense of testing their run defense...and pass right away. Otherwise they will get down big early and then passing does no damage.

it's going to take a lot of Iowa takeaways and the ball bouncing the Hawks way all day to keep this close.

One of the things that makes CFB so interesting is crazy upsets (and the ensuing celebrations). Eventually, talk of "the streak" at OSU could cause them to be upset by some middling team. A close game in the 2nd half could cause the team to tighten up and choke at some point...

Iowa has to play almost a perfect game to keep this close. To win...a perfect game. That is unlikely. I think Urban will be full metal jacket from here on out...he knows he does not play a ranked team the rest of the way, so to leapfrog Clemson and Oregon, he will need some huge blowouts. Now, that might just help keep Iowa in the game if they get too reckless and we pick off some passes. Miller has not been 100% to this point but with two weeks maybe he will be, but if not, he might not run as well as last year, which reinforces my thought that Iowa needs to play Norm Parker cover two...and try like hell to limit over the top passes...make them complete everything in front of the defense, and then try to pound them on the tackle...at least they might not score as quickly. Iowa needs to throw caution to the winds on offense...come out passing....pass to run. Try to beat Roby over the top with Powell if we have the wind at our back or Beathard is in the game....I just have a sneaking suspicion that Beathard had a great two weeks and will play in this game. Go Hawks!

I agree. It's a bad idea to blitz against tOSU since Braxton Miller is likely to evade it and make a big play. We need to play them Norm style.

Wisconsin is a finesse running team vs Iowa being a power running team. That is why Iowa's run game matches up better. Basically if you go up against a fast guy you are better off running over him than to try to run around him.

when they got the ball - long passes for TD's and a few break away runs for TDs - apart from that we'll get 2 turnovers and they'll punt 4 times.

when iowa's go tthe ball - weisman left, weisman left, incompletete pass, punt ~ or ~ change the sequence and punt. Honestly what we see is weisman running for 15 yards, then 1st and ten he runs for 4, then runs for 3 then stuffed or incomplete pass and punt (4 and out).

The best snaps Vandenberg ever had were in the shoe, his sophomore year. Problem is, OSU had their own conservative sleep walker on the sideline. (Tressel) Meyer will be a more formidable coach to face. Hopefully OSU will totally overlook the Hawks. Shocker baby!
Sure, but if the Vest had known what we know now, he would have sent the house multiple times to rattle JVB. Instead they played coverage and pretty much left Vandy back there in the pocket to do his thing. And I'm not saying we should be starting Sokol, just put him in if it's getting ugly in our backfield because I think JR can beat two or three of the teams we still have on the schedule as long as he stays healthy. I also think CJB could get the job done down the line if needed, particularly against the Wolverines, where his read option would give them fits.

KF has proved to me over the past 15 years that he just will not think outside of the box and completely game plan an opponent; i.e. break every single tendancy you have. If Iowa really wants to stay close to O$U, they need to spread it out and show formations that've never shown before. Use both QB's...hell, use ALL 3 qb's. This has nothing to do with qb controversies. Just flippin' surprise the $hit out of O$U. Otherwise, our tendancies go way back to 1999 (this season's version of GD's offense looks like KOK par deaux and GD isn't as good at calling that offense.) Unless the above happens, this could be Hayden Fry vs NW ugly. Braxton goes deep at least 3 times and probably rushes for 2 more himself. Then add a punt special teams touchdown and Hyde gets at least 1, that's 49. 49 (or more) to 10.

Latest posts