Is it a given

I

Ian Pike Hammer

we'll play the Illini Thurs about 9:30? They are playing good bb, better than us at this point in time. Can we beat them?

If we play Illinois, we got routed. If we play Northwestern, I pick by them by 9. Both of these teams can get their "revenge" and Michigan can also get their "revenge" against us if we somehow upset either of these teams.

It is dumbfounding (but not surprising considering the regime's history) because I thought Iowa was a good, but not a great team. Now, I think they are a shot team waiting to be put out of their misery.

How much the Dolphin situation and Fran's meltdown at OSU is playing into this, who knows. But, this team looks tired, beat down, undisciplined, and sloppy. With no true point guard and really, if we are being honest, no beast in the middle (just a couple of guys that should playing at the 4 position), Iowa needs to be hot from the perimeter to win games. But, if you play aggressive man to man on Iowa's guards, they are to slow to get their shots off. They don't pass well enough and can't handle the ball well enough to play good team ball to help their teammates get their shots off.

And we all know how bad Iowa's half-court defensive fundamentals are no matter what scheme they are using.

All adds up to an early exit. If I'm an opposing Big Ten coach, I would want to play Iowa right now.

Last edited:
I agree with those that think our guys are just worn down. Physically and mentally their just done. The season is about 10 games too long for them.

Tournament's are often new leases on life and in this sport, anyone can beat anyone. By the looks of things, this team is burnt. But say like, in the 2000-2001 season - that team had lost 7 of 8 to finish the season and then won 4 games in 4 days. Ya just don't know and trying to predict the future for this team or any team in a sport with this type of parity is just difficult to say with any sort of conviction.

There are only 2 teams in the Big 10 Iowa has a chance of beating....Nebraska (who they won’t play in the BTT, I think the revenge factor would motivate the Hawks), and Northwestern. Every other team will boat race them.

This Hawk team has nothing left, and except for making an effort against Nebraska (which still didn’t get it done), they have basically quit. Lose Thursday, then get throttled in either the NIT or (if they somehow manage to make it), the First Four game in the NCAA.

It is going to be a long 4 years before Fran is gone.

Fran earlier this year said the exact same thing about last years team. Maybe they need a new strength and conditioning coach.
If you've seen the pics of our guys with their shirts off compared to one of Wisconsins that would only reinforce your take on that...

There are only 2 teams in the Big 10 Iowa has a chance of beating....Nebraska (who they won’t play in the BTT, I think the revenge factor would motivate the Hawks), and Northwestern. Every other team will boat race them.

This Hawk team has nothing left, and except for making an effort against Nebraska (which still didn’t get it done), they have basically quit. Lose Thursday, then get throttled in either the NIT or (if they somehow manage to make it), the First Four game in the NCAA.

It is going to be a long 4 years before Fran is gone.
5 if PM redshirts.... Ugh..

I agree with those that think our guys are just worn down. Physically and mentally their just done. The season is about 10 games too long for them.
I dont have the stats but my guess is with our liberal substitution strategy our starters have played less minutes than starters of other Big Ten teams?

Tournament's are often new leases on life and in this sport, anyone can beat anyone. By the looks of things, this team is burnt. But say like, in the 2000-2001 season - that team had lost 7 of 8 to finish the season and then won 4 games in 4 days. Ya just don't know and trying to predict the future for this team or any team in a sport with this type of parity is just difficult to say with any sort of conviction.

Yea but Alford was a really good Big 10 tournament coach!

I dont have the stats but my guess is with our liberal substitution strategy our starters have played less minutes than starters of other Big Ten teams?
I'd be interested to know that and how they compare. But yeah JBo is playing less then he did last yr. I think our guys just aren't physically up for the length of the season. And some of it is between the ears too with how the losing has snow balled. They don't take the negative talk from fans/media very well. It's too bad because they aren't as bad as they've been playing. But the results are what they are

Maybe Iowa basketball should look at hiring former Iowa football Alex Kannelis. He is the strength and conditioning coach at Iowa City Regina. He has done great things for the football players there. Tom Brands though a year or two ago offered Alex the strength coach for the wrestling program. Alex accepted the position, but then a short time later declined it. I guess he is making more money at Regina than he would have at Iowa because a lot of Regina parents hire Alex as a personal trainer as well and he makes good money off it.