Is Iowa"s defense elite?

I would interested to see how Iowa's line does against a good running team. I don't believe any team will be able to pass on Iowa if they can't establish the run first
This: Also it's been reported that the secondary basically just watched game film of Indiana all camp because they were all veteran and didn't need much fundamental work. Next week is a much bigger test even if ISU is overrated because of the conference they play in. away game and ISU is going to have better lines on both sides of the ball.

On the whole, over the last 20 years, I think there is an incredibly small number of teams that wouldn't swap places with us in a heartbeat in terms of defensive prowess.

In that sense, yeah, elite. When you factor in the consistency, I'm not sure there is anybody that does it quite like Iowa.

On a year to year basis, Iowa's certainly been up near the absolute top a fair number of times. Is this such a year? Way too early to say. IU might suck. They are the girl with the curl coming into this season, having come of a historic year (a lot like the Clones, incidentally) so expectations can sometimes get a little inflated in those situations. If IU only won 5 or 6 games this year, would you fall out of your chair? I sure wouldn't.

Secondary was outstanding but I wasn’t all that impressed with the pass rush. But the defense overall was very good.

QB play in the B1G West ain’t great…Purdy is decent, but you can bait him into doing things that he is not good at.

Unless Iowa has a bunch of turnovers the Iowa D will keep everyone under 30. Given where the game is at now that is all you can ask for.

Barring a rash of injuries this is a top 20 defense.

Again. Watch the game. IU’s all big ten QB was nervous as a whore in church. He had guys in his face and solid legal hits multiple times. It is not about sacks, it is about pressure. He felt it big time.

If you say so, I said I wasn’t impressed with the pass rush I didn’t say it was bad.

Secondary was outstanding but I wasn’t all that impressed with the pass rush. But the defense overall was very good.
Dispute that, when do we ever have elite pressure on teams. We historically rush 4 guys and run stunts, but vanilla. I was impressed and played 8-9 guys.

Latest posts