Is Iowa a legit NC contender this year?

All the hype is scaring me into believing they will underachieve this year. Last season they had no hype to live up to as the schedule was too tough to win even 8 games.

This year the schedule is so easy we should win all our road games and take care of home field.... yeah right. It won't be that easy. I think expectations will be too high.

That being said the team looks very good on offense and defense. If the O-line and Linebackers develop like we hope, then they shouldn't have a problem living up to the hype. But... If UNI can come into Kinnick and almost win last year, then anyone on our home schedule this year has a good chance to pull the upset. Until we start pounding teams at home, I am not comfortable with the favorable schedule. Heck last year, the Hawks played their best on the road and laid a few eggs @ home. (Indiana, NW, UNI) Indiana was a win, but I was there and we didn't look like an 8-0 team until the 4th quarter.

Iowa didn't look like world beaters at any point last year, and still managed to go 11-2.

We have a NC defense but not quite there on offense yet. We don't need a team full of 5* players, but we do need one or two on offense. Imagine if Benn hadn't wasted his time with Zook and had gone to college at Iowa. In 2008, if we had SG running for 100+ every game and a true downfield threat like Benn? That's just one game breaker added to the roster. I made the comment on another thread about Missouri and Kansas going a long way on just a couple of really great players like Maclin and Briscoe. The difference between them and us is we have a NC caliber defense. We're only a couple players away from being a true NC contender. Hopefully, with guys on the roster like Wegher, C.J., McNutt, DJK, Derby, Coker, Hampton, there's a game changer or two that will emerge.

We should be considered a national title contender, but no matter how much talent we have or how our schedule "lines up well" it will still take a lot of luck, we need to avoid key injuries, win the turnover battle, and win the close games much like we did this year, and avoid stubbing our toe at Arizona, at NU and at Michigan. We will have a shot, thats about all any of us can ask for

Iowa didn't look like world beaters at any point last year, and still managed to go 11-2.

Yeah well, they got lucky a few times.

The team has to have the underdog mentality. We need to get the newspapers to start writing about how bad the line will be without Dace and Bulaga and how you just can't replace guys like Edds and Angerer. Somebody call Cowherd and get him to start dashing our contender hopes.

If we are hyped as NC contenders... I predict major disappointment.

Yeah well, they got lucky a few times.

The team has to have the underdog mentality. We need to get the newspapers to start writing about how bad the line will be without Dace and Bulaga and how you just can't replace guys like Edds and Angerer. Somebody call Cowherd and get him to start dashing our contender hopes.

If we are hyped as NC contenders... I predict major disappointment.

So did Alabama, but they're not apologizing for it or using is for the reason they won the whole thing.

Do you not remember how many critical injuries Iowa suffered last year?

We have a NC defense but not quite there on offense yet. We don't need a team full of 5* players, but we do need one or two on offense. Imagine if Benn hadn't wasted his time with Zook and had gone to college at Iowa. In 2008, if we had SG running for 100+ every game and a true downfield threat like Benn? That's just one game breaker added to the roster. I made the comment on another thread about Missouri and Kansas going a long way on just a couple of really great players like Maclin and Briscoe. The difference between them and us is we have a NC caliber defense. We're only a couple players away from being a true NC contender. Hopefully, with guys on the roster like Wegher, C.J., McNutt, DJK, Derby, Coker, Hampton, there's a game changer or two that will emerge.

I would say McNutt and DJK are already 'game-changers'.

If we had Shonn Greene last year we woulda won the National Title. Or at least finished undefeated.

We don't need 5-star players to win games. Ferentz has proven that year in and year out. Our recruits are good enough athletes coming out of high school, they just lack the hype of a 5-star.

So did Alabama, but they're not apologizing for it or using is for the reason they won the whole thing.

Do you not remember how many critical injuries Iowa suffered last year?

The Hawks kicked *** last year and did do it with a bunch of injuries. The Orange Bowl performance left no doubt to their accomplishments. But they still had some lucky bounces and calls against a lot of teams. UNI had 2 chip shot field goal chances to beat us for crying out loud. And that team was at full strength (not counting pre-season injuries).

Alabama got lucky too you're right. Almost every NC team escapes with a win or two. Had Iowa won the title I wouldn't be apologizing for them... I'd still be celebrating.

I think we are and will be as long as we keep winning. I am jacked about this upcoming season. Would love to see us knock off a SEC for NC....
I would hate to see a Boise State in the NC game if only because they just don't play a real tough schedule.

Iowa not a true contender yet, IMHO. I'd like to think so, and I'm certainly very excited about the possiblity (which IS there). But, just because we start ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean anything. Was Penn State a title contender last year? No. Why? Because they were replacing basically 4 starters on the offensive line (returned two starters, one of which moved to center, thereby making a hole at guard that had to be filled, much like Vandervelde may do this year). I think that Ferentz can put together a solid line almost like nothing, but it's not going to be 2002 or 2008 all over again up front for us.

Like I said, I think Ferentz can put together a solid squad. That may be enough, particularly since our big games are at home. Without the hostile crowds that we would face in Happy Valley, Madison, Columbus, and East Lansing, we shouldn't see the multitude of false start penalties that inexperienced lines tend to have in hostile environments. THAT will be a big bonus to having the big games at home next fall.

I think by Week 7 we'll know for sure just how good we are. By then we will have played 4 solid to very good teams in ISU, Arizona, PSU, and Wisconsin. If we are 7-0 to start the year, then we are certainly a contender. However, if Boise State wins both against Oregon State and Virginia Tech, then we can pretty much kiss the NCG goodbye, because I don't see the BCS leaving the Broncos out of the title game if they go undefeated, and the SEC winner will get in.

The Hawks kicked *** last year and did do it with a bunch of injuries. The Orange Bowl performance left no doubt to their accomplishments. But they still had some lucky bounces and calls against a lot of teams. UNI had 2 chip shot field goal chances to beat us for crying out loud. And that team was at full strength (not counting pre-season injuries).

Alabama got lucky too you're right. Almost every NC team escapes with a win or two. Had Iowa won the title I wouldn't be apologizing for them... I'd still be celebrating.

The point I was trying to make is that for every lucky bounce Iowa got, it was followed up by a kick in the nuts.

1. Block two consecutive field goals against UNI to seal the win, but lose Bulaga the next week (and for the next 3) against ISU.
2. Blow ISU off the field, but lose Moeaki for the next month.
3. The o-line starts it's second game as a complete unit at MSU, but loses future 1st team all conference guard Dace Richardson 3 minutes into the game. Greenwood, Sandemann, and Robinson all suffer injuries that cost them the rest of the year.
4. Iowa gets the lucky bounces against Indiana (and the right call being overturned on the Indiana touchdown), but loses Ricky Stanzi against NW the week after.

I'm not mentioning the pre-season injuries to Hampton and Bernstine, or the overall revolving door that was the offensive line the entire season.

Last edited:
Well, I see what you're saying about developing players and I'm not saying we can't get it done with our current players, but here's what I know. Iowa typically doesn't get those Benn, Briscoe, Bush type players and Iowa hasn't had a NC in a while. Teams like Alabama typically have at least one 5* type player. USC had Reggie Bush, Leinert, etc and got a NC. Florida has guys like Tebow and Percy Harvin and got a NC. Texas had Vince Young and they have a NC. Alabama had a Heisman winner this year and got a NC. Maybe that particular Heisman winner could have meant a lot to Iowa had he come here instead because I think we would have matched up against Alabama nicely.

I'm not saying we can't do it without a marquee player or two, but looking back over the last few years, it sure looks like teams with at least one or two outstanding players have an edge. I only give those teams listed an edge over Iowa in that one category - marquee players. From top to bottom in the trenches and on defense I believe we can play with anyone in the country. McNutt and DJK are great players, but I'm not quite ready to put them on the Harvin/Briscoe level yet. But, I do hope that's where they end up.

Agreed that it takes a little luck, too.

define contender.

I define it as one of the top 10% of teams

that's top-12

are we top-12?

I say yes ... therefore we are a contender

Contender, perhaps... but look at two years ago, how Iowa lost 4 games by like 12 points was it? And how many games they squeaked out this year that perhaps could have been losses. Would rather us be completely under the radar and disrespected at the beginning of the season personally speaking- we seem to play with more purpose.

No. They will not be contenders. Unless the offense comes out firing next year, they wont be considered contenders at all, unless they are one of a few remaining undefeated teams.

So starting the season ranked in the top 10 and returning 15 or so starters from a BCS victory means they won't be contenders at all. Good to know.

yes, we will be a contender, as will every other team in the top 10. there are no guarantees in college football, and every team in this top echelon has a chance to make it to the big game. that said, i believe we need to go undefeated to reach the NC, and i don't think we will -- at least one team will have our number this year. that said, we have a rock-solid defense, an overall more experienced offense (OL is the only weakness), and a very good special teams game. barring any major injuries, i believe this is the year the Buckeyes finally fall and we head to the Rose Bowl...not a bad consolation prize at all.

So starting the season ranked in the top 10 and returning 15 or so starters from a BCS victory means they won't be contenders at all. Good to know.

Staring the season ranked in the top 10 means nothing. Leave it to some myopic Iowa fans to say that rankings don't matter...until they do matter.

Also, returning 15 starters is not that high of a number. The way I look at it, they have 7 starters to replace, including 4 at one position.

Like someone said, last year Penn St. started the season in the top 10, and also had to replace 4 starters on their line.

Here is why Iowa is not a pre-season contender. They didn't win their conference. They are not favored to win their conference. They have not consistantly shown they can play with top teams. You can't win one BCS Bowl in the last 50 years and then claim you are one of the big boys. Also, Iowa has a mediocre offense. They are a one-sided team and everyone knows it.

If they want to be contenders, they will have to prove it. It will not be handed to them. I doubt if the coaches and players mind this obvious fact, but some fans sure as hell do.

I think we'll be in the top 12 pre-season. But I don't think we'll be viewed as a NC contender, even if we run the table.

If any two of these teams -- Florida, Alabama, Texas, Boise State, Oregon, USC -- go undefeated they are your NC contenders, ahead of Iowa. That is unless we're blowing out opponents by a season average of 14 points or more, and I just don't see that with KOK's offensive scheme (and that's no slam on the current OC.)

Staring the season ranked in the top 10 means nothing. Leave it to some myopic Iowa fans to say that rankings don't matter...until they do matter.

Also, returning 15 starters is not that high of a number. The way I look at it, they have 7 starters to replace, including 4 at one position.

Like someone said, last year Penn St. started the season in the top 10, and also had to replace 4 starters on their line.

Here is why Iowa is not a pre-season contender. They didn't win their conference. They are not favored to win their conference. They have not consistantly shown they can play with top teams. You can't win one BCS Bowl in the last 50 years and then claim you are one of the big boys. Also, Iowa has a mediocre offense. They are a one-sided team and everyone knows it.

If they want to be contenders, they will have to prove it. It will not be handed to them. I doubt if the coaches and players mind this obvious fact, but some fans sure as hell do.

Rankings do matter because of the BCS. If we won out this season there was a good chance we still don't move past Texas. It's a lot easier to start out high then scramble to move up the polls.

Who cares about winning one BCS bowl in 50 years. This isn't a history contest, it's about next season. Four top ten finishes in the last eight years, bowl wins over LSU, Florida, Georgia Tech, knocking off a top five Penn St. team back to back years. That proves Iowa can play with the "big boys".

Believe it or not there can be multiple title contenders from one conference (Oklahoma and Texas, Alabama and Florida). It happens all the time, but apparently this is a shock to you. Just because Ohio St. is 3rd and we're 5th or whatever doesn't mean we both aren't contenders.

I think we'll be in the top 12 pre-season. But I don't think we'll be viewed as a NC contender, even if we run the table.

If any two of these teams -- Florida, Alabama, Texas, Boise State, Oregon, USC -- go undefeated they are your NC contenders, ahead of Iowa. That is unless we're blowing out opponents by a season average of 14 points or more, and I just don't see that with KOK's offensive scheme (and that's no slam on the current OC.)

If Iowa runs the table next year, they'll be in the national championship game. There really isn't any clear cut team at the top, and there were 2 of them going into last season.

Iowa would have been "Auburned" out if they had won out last year, but that won't happen this year due to the high pre-season ranking.

I think with the talent we have returning, we are a Top 25 team. I can't say that we are a Big Ten favorite or a NC favorite, due to the losses in our offensive line. If Ferentz and the coaching staff can solve the holes in the OL, it could get real interesting real fast (remember, this year's team had a lot of questions too, and wound up in the Orange Bowl even though two freshmen played at running back and we lost two terrific defensive linemen).

I hate to state the obvious, but the home game against Penn State will go a long way toward revealing what kind of team we really have.