Is Harrison Barnes a bust?

They are actually probably as similar as can be found. I just remember the hype for Felipe being sky high and he didn't even live in my state. LONG time ago though. He was on the cover of SI if I remember correctly. Different information era.

I think he and Barnes have had very similar careers so far.

Lopez was the most highly touted recruit of his era, but Barnes was the first freshman to make 1st team preseason All-American. Barnes also went to an already top 10 team and had the benefit of having some pressure taken off of him during his struggles at the beginning of last season. Lopez came to a bad St John's team so he didn't have that luxury. Despite a somewhat disappointed college career he was still a first round pick.

his lack of athleticism is already being exposed...what makes anyone think that this would get better in the NBA?

You're flying old school with the Felipe reference. I'm not sure how big a bust somebody can be though that scored close to 2,000 career points, their worse scoring average was 16 PPG and ultimately was a first round pick. However, the expectations for this kid were through the roof and the SI cover before playing a game certainly didn't help.

Felipe Lopez is old school?:eek::eek: Seems like a couple of years ago, to us old guys!:D

his lack of athleticism is already being exposed...what makes anyone think that this would get better in the NBA?
He is athletic, but doesnt have the explosiveness to shake a defender. He has the strength, just needs some speed and agility work.

I would say Roy Williams is a bit of a bust, considering that he gets the best players in the country...(aside from perhaps Calipari)...

He's won two national titles there. Even coach K went almost 10 years between titles (1992-2001).

Insane expectations. Winning national titles isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is.. Even at places like N. Carolina.

He's won two national titles there. Even coach K went almost 10 years between titles (1992-2001).

Insane expectations. Winning national titles isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is.. Even at places like N. Carolina.

I totally agree with you, 1977...but here's an interesting thought...if a Hawkeye fan thinks that, right or wrong...I wonder how many Carolina fans are saying the same thing he is, right now!?!? It's a fickle world out there...and it rears its ugly head in sports more than anything (seemingly)...

Except if your name is John Wooden.

Felipe Lopez is old school?:eek::eek: Seems like a couple of years ago, to us old guys!:D

What's it been, close to 15 or 20 years? Yeah, doesn't really constitute as old school, but for those 30 years old or less (I'm not) it probably fits.

I would like someone to explain which position he translates to in the NBA. Because there isn't a single one. He is an an above average player who will be an average NBA player.

I think Barnes is a lot like Joe Johnson,and will play 2-3 in the NBA,and just knock down jump shots all day long. Johnson signed a 124 million dollar deal last year,so making jump shots at 6'8'' pays well in the NBA.

At UNC, Barnes has Marshall,Bullock,Zeller,Henson to share the shots with..all future NBA players. At Creighton, McDermott has to share the ball with zero NBA players. It does make a difference. Barnes is going to be a top 5 pick,either this year or next.

Barnes is not a good isolation player in college, why do you think this will improve in the NBA?

Exactly. Barnes will never be a big time pro. He'll be a Richard Jefferson or some one like that at best and probably not that good.

A guy who is a solid jump shooter but given his build and athleticism should be much better but just doesn't have the skill set to take people off the bounce.

Not quite a bust, but I would say Barnes may be one of the most miss evaluated highschool players ever.

This may be the first time ive ever agreed with Marty Tirrel but his assessment that the D leauge is full of players better than Barnes is totally accurate.

I think Barnes is a lot like Joe Johnson,and will play 2-3 in the NBA,and just knock down jump shots all day long. Johnson signed a 124 million dollar deal last year,so making jump shots at 6'8'' pays well in the NBA.

At UNC, Barnes has Marshall,Bullock,Zeller,Henson to share the shots with..all future NBA players. At Creighton, McDermott has to share the ball with zero NBA players. It does make a difference. Barnes is going to be a top 5 pick,either this year or next.

Not a great comparison. While not athletic Joe Johnson is a pretty good ball handler.

Its hard to think of many starters in the Nba who are as one dimensional as Barnes.

I would like someone to explain which position he translates to in the NBA. Because there isn't a single one. He is an an above average player who will be an average NBA player.

He is a prototype NBA small forward, I don't think there are position concerns at the NBA. He's no tweener.

People hate on Barnes because is not an isolation player. Almost all elite players in the NBA are great isolation players. You can throw them the ball and tell them to get buckets. Barnes is not adept at this. Barnes is best playing off-ball, running of screens, catch-n-shoot, attack creases in the defense, pump-fake and pull-up ... you get it. You don't throw Barnes the ball and tell him to create. He'll be a solid NBA 3rd option who can play solid defense and contribute on the boards. Think Luol Deng or an older Grant Hill or something along that line.

Barnes almost looks too fundamental to me, even robotic at times. He has no playground at all in his game. A lot of the great isolation players have some playground in their game. They can spin with the ball, change directions with ball, some hesitation/funk to their game, a tear-drop/floater, something. This adds some creativity to their game. Barnes utilizes fundamentally sound two-dribble pull-up jumpshots and drop steps.

He is a prototype NBA small forward, I don't think there are position concerns at the NBA. He's no tweener.

People hate on Barnes because is not an isolation player. Almost all elite players in the NBA are great isolation players. You can throw them the ball and tell them to get buckets. Barnes is not adept at this. Barnes is best playing off-ball, running of screens, catch-n-shoot, attack creases in the defense, pump-fake and pull-up ... you get it. You don't throw Barnes the ball and tell him to create. He'll be a solid NBA 3rd option who can play solid defense and contribute on the boards. Think Luol Deng or an older Grant Hill or something along that line.

Barnes almost looks too fundamental to me, even robotic at times. He has no playground at all in his game. A lot of the great isolation players have some playground in their game. They can spin with the ball, change directions with ball, some hesitation/funk to their game, a tear-drop/floater, something. This adds some creativity to their game. Barnes utilizes fundamentally sound two-dribble pull-up jumpshots and drop steps.

Body wise yes a prototype 3, offensively no.

I thought it was a smart move to come back. An extra year to develop is always good. Plus there was the lockout to think about.

Latest posts