is fran

In all fairness you said here.... Granted it in BB forum, but perhaps you needed to be a tidbit clearer and more sport specific. Kirk Ferentz is pretty fiery and tends to show his true emotions ALOT.

In all fairness you said here.... Granted it in BB forum, but perhaps you needed to be a tidbit clearer and more sport specific. Kirk Ferentz is pretty fiery and tends to show his true emotions ALOT.

I was thinkin KF also. A lot of people forget how crazy he can actually get.

To answer the OP, regarding hoops, the coaches I remember in my lifetime:

Raveling (barely remember him)
Mr. Davis
Alford
Lick
Fran

Mr. Davis would sometimes get PO'ed and run up and down the sidelines if there was a horrendous no-call or something, but typically was the type to do his best Vanna White impersonation even when things weren't going well.

Alford would usually just yell at the team during timeouts IIRC, but not usually so much at the refs.

Lick mostly sat on the bench with his face buried in his hands.

Then there's Fran, who's probably been T'ed up more in almost 2 years of coaching than another of those others did in their entire tenure.

Yep, Fran is definitely the most animated coach I can remember on the sidelines.

I can remember Mr. Davis stomping his feet at the refs on the sideline but no where near the explosions of Fran. Personally I like it and it will eventually help Iowa get calls, if you don't believe it helps watch a few Wisconsin games and see how many calls Wisconsin gets because of Bo Ryan.

I can remember Mr. Davis stomping his feet at the refs on the sideline but no where near the explosions of Fran. Personally I like it and it will eventually help Iowa get calls, if you don't believe it helps watch a few Wisconsin games and see how many calls Wisconsin gets because of Bo Ryan.

My memory goes back to Lute. Fran is definetly the most fiery of the bunch. When our team improves, I can't wait to watch Fran work the refs the way the Bo does.

My memory goes back to Lute. Fran is definetly the most fiery of the bunch. When our team improves, I can't wait to watch Fran work the refs the way the Bo does.

I can remember Lute but he was a cool cat on the sidelines and I do not remember him throwing that big of a fit on the sidelines. I would be interested in knowing if any of the coaches before my time were this intense. How intense was Miller, Sharm, or Bucky?

I can remember Lute but he was a cool cat on the sidelines and I do not remember him throwing that big of a fit on the sidelines. I would be interested in knowing if any of the coaches before my time were this intense. How intense was Miller, Sharm, or Bucky?

Ralph & Lute were very calm most of the time. They didn't blow up as often as McCaffery or even Davis, but when they blew up, it was of epic proportions. Probably because they were so calm, when they went off they really erupted. I remember Lute red in the face, veins bulging from his neck, just screaming at the refs. I thought he was going to have the big one.

Surprisingly, Lute probably got technicals more frequently than any Iowa coach I can remember. Just because he was calm & wasn't yelling, doesn't mean he wasn't working the refs. Lute would be standing, looking like a GQ model, a ref would run by him, suddenly stop & give Lute a TEE.

While watching the Iowa vs. NW game on TV, I remember Fran screaming (I could hear that loud east coast accent over the Iowa crowd which wasn't so loud at the time): MOVE THE RAWWWK (rock). Ogelsby and Marble dribbled way too much.

Last edited:
Fran is pretty darn active on the sideline. Mr. Davis was slow to temper, but was good at working the refs, IMO. Lute: I was at the Iowa/Marquette game in Milwaukee during his tenure (around 1982?). M. was way ahead at the half. Iowa started chipping away and caught them late in the 2nd half. Then, a couple of fouls by M. that were pretty obvious...no calls. The ref ran over to Lute; Lute put his hand around his own throat signaling "choke" and the ref hit him with a T. Iowa went on to win the game.

Ralph Miller was a beauty! I don't recall him getting on the ref's very much, but a few times I thought he was going to kill (insert name here, can't remember), his sixth man. The guy would go in, dunk the ball, make a great steal, fly down the court totally out of control and fire up a jump shot that would possibly shatter the backboard. Ralph would go nuts!

Help me with the name of the player...its driving me crazy.

Latest posts