Is Fran not interested in transfers or are transfers not interested in Iowa?

TheIowaHawkGuy

There are already 100 transfers available and not a single one is getting interest from Iowa coaches or have shown interest in Iowa. If Iowa lands Atwood then it's not a big deal but it looks like Mike Nzei is the fall back recruit if Atwood doesn't commit. Nzei is definitely a project and project low mid-major offers currently too. Why wouldn't going after a transfer who has experience under his belt be a better option than yet another project? So is Fran just stubborn and doesn't want to bring transfers into his culture or is Iowa just not an attractive program for transfers? Iowa was a top 10 offensive team and would think Fran's system would be a selling point. Adding a mix of transfers could help Iowa improve greatly.

I see ISU has 2 open scholarships remaining and are approaching transfers to fill those. They already will have 2 new transfers starting next season so could have 4 total. It's working wonders for Fred so very frustrating for Fran to not embrace it too.

There are already 100 transfers available and not a single one is getting interest from Iowa coaches or have shown interest in Iowa. If Iowa lands Atwood then it's not a big deal but it looks like Mike Nzei is the fall back recruit if Atwood doesn't commit. Nzei is definitely a project and project low mid-major offers currently too. Why wouldn't going after a transfer who has experience under his belt be a better option than yet another project? So is Fran just stubborn and doesn't want to bring transfers into his culture or is Iowa just not an attractive program for transfers? Iowa was a top 10 offensive team and would think Fran's system would be a selling point. Adding a mix of transfers could help Iowa improve greatly.

I see ISU has 2 open scholarships remaining and are approaching transfers to fill those. They already will have 2 new transfers starting next season so could have 4 total. It's working wonders for Fred so very frustrating for Fran to not embrace it too.

Quality post. Lot of dumb wrapped in one big guess. Let cyfan know you did well.

1. Dickerson is also a transfer
2. Once you get a bunch of transfers you have to keep getting them. I prefer 4 year guys with the occasional transfer.
2. Who gives a **** about ISU

1. Dickerson is also a transfer
2. Once you get a bunch of transfers you have to keep getting them. I prefer 4 year guys with the occasional transfer.
2. Who gives a **** about ISU

Not talking about JUCOs. Talking about guys who have played D1 ball then transfer. And ISU is doing pretty darn well, and would like to see Iowa do that well too.

I would love to see some stats on what percentage actually made an impact over the last ten years. I know at Iowa, people point to Gamble, Bullard, Woolridge, Recker, and Haluska as some of the success stories. And hopefully, Uthoff will continue that tradition.

But what about the ones who didn't make it ... the ones no one remembers? It would be interesting to see the numbers.

Link? Or it's not true. I would be willingly to bet Dickerson and Atwood are better than a good number o those transfers. Also if they aren't fifth year guys then your wasting a year so why not get someone who could develop in that year and have 4 years vs 1-2 years. If you want to be like ISU then go cheer for them because Iowa is not ISU and I'm happy they aren't. Sure it's worked for them so far but it's not guaranteed to work and all it takes is one bad apple to destroy a team.

Not talking about JUCOs. Talking about guys who have played D1 ball then transfer. And ISU is doing pretty darn well, and would like to see Iowa do that well too.

#2 Exactly

Transfer U is going to get burned. He's gotten lucky thus far. Fran needs to stay the course, it's working. Each year we move forward.

What is it something like 500 potential transfers every year? This is a fixture in college basketball, and if we're not even testing the water, we're losing out on a lot of already established talent.

Of the 100 available transfers, how many are looking at transferring down to a more appropriate level, like Ingram last season. I'd assume at least half, then look at how many of those guys fit a need and are worth investing a redshirt year into.

The transfers that have the kind of talent to make it worth pursuing, often, but not always, come with baggage. The ones that are talented and have a good reputation- especially ones that are eligible right away- are sought after by many schools, including Iowa.

What this comes down to is the flop-sweat panic some people exhibit because Iowa State has a nice run going. Well, they had transfers, so of course, FRAN NEEDS MOAR TRANSFERS.

ISU has nothing to do with Iowa, Fred has chosen to let a lot of jagbags wear Cyclone colors, good for him. It's not the only, or the most common, way to win. Take Iowa State, and pretend they were ASU, would we be seeing these stupid 'we need transfers' type of posts? No.

#2 Exactly

Transfer U is going to get burned. He's gotten lucky thus far. Fran needs to stay the course, it's working. Each year we move forward.

I am sure Freddy could get burned by taking a guy. But you can also have a #rightway guy do something stupid, too. Like tell the Twitterverse to suck a fat one or WWE a guy to the hardwood. It happens.

What is it something like 500 potential transfers every year? This is a fixture in college basketball, and if we're not even testing the water, we're losing out on a lot of already established talent.

They brought in Uthoff, made contact with Anthony Lee, and looked at Jordan Baker last year.

Source? Link? How do you know Iowa isn't talking to any of these guys?

What I don't like is we are having to bank scholarships for the simple reason we can't get quality kids to commit. That = failure!

I am sure Freddy could get burned by taking a guy. But you can also have a #rightway guy do something stupid, too. Like tell the Twitterverse to suck a fat one or WWE a guy to the hardwood. It happens.

Or he could drop kick a guy while getting a board...

I don't think it's the transfers. Fast Freddie is just a better coach. Whether it's in evaluating talent or in game coaching. I think that much should be obvious. It is what it is and it starts with the AD. Our AD sucks a fat one. As long as he's here, we will always have mediocre results.

#2 Exactly

This years team was worse than last years team, not sure that is a step forward.

I don't think it's the transfers. Fast Freddie is just a better coach. Whether it's in evaluating talent or in game coaching. I think that much should be obvious. It is what it is and it starts with the AD. Our AD sucks a fat one. As long as he's here, we will always have mediocre results.

Easy there Zach....

College basketball recruiting is a cesspool. Hoiberg has been able to exploit it by seeking transfers and setting up an environment that welcomes them. I see very little difference between Hoiberg and Kentucky's Calipari strategies, both are fond of one or two year players. The difference is Calipari recruits freshman and Hoiberg recruits seniors with a fifth year of eligibility. Calipari has been more successful by going deeper in the NCAA tournament than Hoiberg. Hoiberg has the medal for making the NCAA Tournament each year where KY missed last year. In all of this remember ISU has not made it pass the sweet 16 and KY has.

In reviewing the last four years Iowa managed to improve each year with only Uthoff as a transfer. It is now looking at adding two juco players. The distance between the ISU program and Iowa's has narrowed significantly from four years ago. Next year maybe the year Iowa finishes better than ISU. Discussions about transfers is a false one.erg

It appears tOSU is starting to do things the wrong way too. Landed Lee and they have a visit scheduled with Virginia Tech 7-foot transfer Trevor Thompson on April 11-13. Likely to also visit Indiana & Purdue.

I think we need to take the best players available, no matter where they come from...4 year, one-and-done, transfer, JUCO.