Is Fran a GD genius or what?

Finally watching the game on DVR. You know what Fran has been good at (partially out of necessity?)

His substitution patterns. Second half he got Garza out at 12:52 knowing that the media timeout was coming.

Play resumed at 11:34, but with the media break Garza probably get a real time rest of five or six minutes.

Little things add up. Basketball, more than any other sport, is a game of compounding interest. Score and you make it tougher for the other team to score. Don't score and you make it easier. And that's just one example. Get Luka out, get a media timeout, then get an unexpected bonus, like the officials review of Connor's shot at 11:07 that gave Garza another mini rest.

Fran is learning. And learning.

We could win big with a destination coach if one comes around that has strong Iowa ties. I agree that most hall of fame type coaches that you need to win big will use iowa as a stepping stone. But an in state former player might one day come along who wins big and wants to stay.
The obvious examples out there now are Dean Oliver, Jeff Horner and Matt Gatens. Chris Jans has Iowa ties, but not University of Iowa ties.

Someone is going to come calling for Oliver soon and he will begin his head coaching odessy. The situation concerning the above mentioned three is definitely worth keeping tabs on for the next few years. But can they win big at Iowa? And are there any others out there? Guys like Rodell Davis and Kevin Gamble kind of fizzled out and would be in their early fifties now anyway.

The obvious examples out there now are Dean Oliver, Jeff Horner and Matt Gatens. Chris Jans has Iowa ties, but not University of Iowa ties.

Someone is going to come calling for Oliver soon and he will begin his head coaching odessy. The situation concerning the above mentioned three is definitely worth keeping tabs on for the next few years. But can they win big at Iowa? And are there any others out there? Guys like Rodell Davis and Kevin Gamble kind of fizzled out and would be in their early fifties now anyway.

Those were the exact 3 I thought of too. If they can somehow be a hall of fame caliber coach, they could maybe consider iowa a destination school.

You and several others were more correct about Garza than i was. I didn't think he had the foot speed to be more than a serviceable player.

By here's what i overlooked, and shouldn't have. His basketball IQ. He is a very smart player out there. He has also figured to how to play without fouling (with some help from refs who are giving him more respect.) The surgical procedure he had just before his sophomore season undoubtedly set him back as well. He had a full offseason to prepare and is reaping the benefits.

You're not the only one. I don't think Maryland recruited him very hard with the same concerns. I always thought it was quite odd he ended up at Iowa, but I sure like it!! Great player and teammate.

Finally watching the game on DVR. You know what Fran has been good at (partially out of necessity?)

His substitution patterns. Second half he got Garza out at 12:52 knowing that the media timeout was coming.

Play resumed at 11:34, but with the media break Garza probably get a real time rest of five or six minutes.

Little things add up. Basketball, more than any other sport, is a game of compounding interest. Score and you make it tougher for the other team to score. Don't score and you make it easier. And that's just one example. Get Luka out, get a media timeout, then get an unexpected bonus, like the officials review of Connor's shot at 11:07 that gave Garza another mini rest.

Fran is learning. And learning.

Coaches have been doing this for years, especially when have a short bench. I wouldn't put that in the genius category. I'd put it in the "Competent Coach" category. When really short on players, some coaches have been even know to call a team time out bumping off the media timeout, often to rest and prepare for a last run.

If we lose to Northwestern my wife will need to hide the dog.

Dog is spared! :)

giphy.gif

Latest posts