Is enthusiasm for Iowa Football low on this board?

I am trying to stay guarded for now. I think Iowa will have a lot better season than most expect, I am guessing 8-9 wins, but I am going to wait until after the Iowa State game to go all-in.

We'll see. We've all been surprised before.. 2015, obviously, no one saw coming, so they could certainly outperform our expectations.

I'm not writing the team off, but 7-8 win seasons have basically been the norm for quite a while now.. It makes it hard for me to blindly expect more than that. Until the Hawks regularly start winning 9+, I'm going with 7-8 as my expectation in most years.. That's decent but makes it hard to get too pumped.. When you basically expect a season that'll see you unranked when it's all said and done.

I'm always pumped. IMO - a 7 or 8 win season isn't that exciting but it certainly isn't dog crap either and I'll take em every day of the week over a losing season.

We'll see. We've all been surprised before.. 2015, obviously, no one saw coming, so they could certainly outperform our expectations.

I'm not writing the team off, but 7-8 win seasons have basically been the norm for quite a while now.. It makes it hard for me to blindly expect more than that. Until the Hawks regularly start winning 9+, I'm going with 7-8 as my expectation in most years.. That's decent but makes it hard to get too pumped.. When you basically expect a season that'll see you unranked when it's all said and done.

I just think Iowa is being drastically overlooked this summer. If I was creating a prototypical Iowa team from scratch and I had to pick Iowa's top 5 areas of strength I think I'd choose:

1) OLine
2) DLine
3) LB
4) RB
5) QB

Now, looking at Iowa's roster going into 2017...they are very strong in 4 of those 5 areas. The typical Iowa QB just has to make his reads and not turn the ball over. Last year CJ had nobody to throw to, had negative rushing yards, and threw 10 interceptions. Iowa still went 8-4. 3 of those losses were by 1 possession.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic

Good question by OP.

I agree with what a few others have said:

It's July. It's hot. It's vacation time. A Predicted average team is difficult to get pumped up for -- especially mid-summer.

To top it off, I am really anticipating the basketball season. I don't want to wish away a football season but if I could fast-forward ...

Is it just me? It seems like there should be more anticipation for the upcoming season by posters on this board? I am fairly excited and I know others who are as well. But there really doesn't seem to be much in the terms new posts on this board talking about the upcoming season.

Thoughts? Am I imagining things?

It's better than scout. Do you post on Rivals a lot cuz you rarely post here . . . that may contribute to the issue you're referencing.

It's a little disconcerting that someone who will be able to vote in 5 years doesn't know that the header is a reference to volume not caliber.

It is somewhat low excitement on this site but if the hawks beat NTexas as expected and then can beat PSU the excitement level goes way up. The hawks need to win almost all home games and steal a couple on the road which they already proved they can do.

Latest posts