Is Dallas Clark on his way to the .....

MelroseHawkins

... NFL Hall of Fame? I would think so with the numbers he has & is currently putting up. He seems to get stronger every year.

I wouldn't guess there would be a lot of TE's in the hall compared to the other skill positions. Could he be the most decorated passing TE in NFL Hx? I would guess Tony Gonzalez currently is & if Clark keeps it going an injury free, he could very well pass him.

The question is, if his career ended right now, is he worthy of the HOF or would he need another Super Bowl win or appearance? Maybe Super Bowl wins or appearances are more for the QB in the HOF talk.

What a great Hawkeye & he represents Iowa football well.

Clark's skill set is not something you see much at the TE position. He's pretty much a really good wide receiver who plays TE (probably not as fast as a receiver though). I don't really know how good of a blocker he is, which is important at that position (maybe not so much on the Colts) I know he used to not be very good at it but I don't know if he's improved or not.

And Super Bowl wins should never mean anything when it comes to an individual player's accomplishment. I know they do but they shouldn't.

i am no pro but people i respect say that Dallas is considered a very good blocker, even more so considering his lack of bulk.

He's a great slot receiver who just happens to line up at TE.

Yup, his TD on Sunday was just not fair. If you put a linebacker or even a safety on him for size, he will burn them. If you put a CB on them, he will overpower them. Love watching him and Peyton work together. They are on the exact same page.

he needs a few more years but he is on HOF pace

by the way, ever look at Jason Witten's stats :eek:
and I think he is 3 years younger than Clark :eek:

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcJxuRv3xA]YouTube - Dallas Clark 50-yard Touchdown Catch Week 2 2010[/ame]

Thats a great throw by peyton and a great adjustment by clark.

I think Dallas Clark is going to be compared to the numbers put up by Gates and Gonzalez. If he has similar numbers to them I think he makes it. He's a step ahead of Whitten because of the Super Bowl rings. IMO he will need to retire with something in the ball park of 750 catches and 70td's.

rec. yds. avg. TDs
Shannon Sharpe 815 10060 12.3 62

Dallas Clark 372 4351 11.7 43

Sharpe has been a HOF finalist the last 2 years but not made it...Clark has a long ways to go. With that said, living in Indy and being a Hawk fan, I love watching the guy play and seeing the success he is having. Also really cool that he is a small town Iowa guy.

Clark and Witten were in the same draft class.

Witten came out as a true junior, I believe. Clark was going to be 24 or 25 years old by the time the 2004 draft came around. They've been in the league for the same amount of time, but Clark is a 3 years older.

Clark also may get a bit of a break considering who his teammates were. Marvin is a HOF, no doubt. Reggie Wayne could be if he can keep this pace for another few years. So there was good reason for Clark to not rack up the numbers early in his career, when Marvin was in his prime.

If Dallas Clark is to get in the HOF, he'll need to distinguish himself from these guys, or a lot of TEs will be going it around the same time ...

Dallas Clark, age 31, 8th season, 372 catches, 4351 yards, 43 TDs
Antonio Gates, age 30, 8th season, 489 catches, 6356 yards, 62 TDs
Jeremy Shockey, age 30, 9th season, 475 catches, 5340 yards, 30 TDs
Jason Witten, age 28, 8th season, 531 catches, 6043 yards, 27 TDs

If Dallas Clark is to get in the HOF, he'll need to distinguish himself from these guys, or a lot of TEs will be going it around the same time ...

Dallas Clark, age 31, 8th season, 372 catches, 4351 yards, 43 TDs
Antonio Gates, age 30, 8th season, 489 catches, 6356 yards, 62 TDs
Jeremy Shockey, age 30, 9th season, 475 catches, 5340 yards, 30 TDs
Jason Witten, age 28, 8th season, 531 catches, 6043 yards, 27 TDs

Good point. It's a position where they are just not going to let a lot of people in so he definately would have to separate himself from the pack a bit. I am surprised to see Shockey on that list. It just doesn't seem like you hear about him as much anymore. He must be staying out of trouble & producing.

I think Aaron Ross sees the Hawkeyes in his sleep.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghxMRagbRI&feature=fvw[/ame]

Last edited:
rec. yds. avg. TDs
Shannon Sharpe 815 10060 12.3 62

Dallas Clark 372 4351 11.7 43

Sharpe has been a HOF finalist the last 2 years but not made it...Clark has a long ways to go. With that said, living in Indy and being a Hawk fan, I love watching the guy play and seeing the success he is having. Also really cool that he is a small town Iowa guy.
Absolute travesty that Sharpe isn't already in the Hall. I don't get it.

The problem with TE's in the HOF is they are rarely the best players on thier teams. While very good Dallas has never been the best player on his team. When you compare him to two other TE's who played in his era Gonzalez and Gates you realize that he's probably going to finish a few hundred receptions and 20+ TD's behind them. 200 receptions and 20 TD's is a career folks. Even if he plays 6 more seasons and averages 60 catches and 6TD's a year he's going to end up 300 catches behind Gates and Gonzalez. In addition Clark only has 1Pro Bowl appearance to date.

There are only 9 TE's in the HOF right now the fewest of any skill position other than FB. I think it's an uphil road for Dallas into the HOF.

Latest posts