Is CJ Frederick Taking Enough Shots?

MelroseHawkins

Obviously Garza is leading the team in 2 pt attempts and has a great % at 54%. Wieskamp has taken 105 more 2 pt shots than CJF and at 44%. CJF is shooting 2pt shots at 51% and 3pt shots at 47% which is terrific. Wieskamp and Garza are both shooting 3's at 38% which is good on its own.

Sometimes I wonder when guys are shooting an exceptional % if they are not hawking enough for shots. It's probably more important they just play in the flow of the game and let the shots come to them but was just wondering about CJ and what his scoring potential really could be.

It's just nice to know that for some reason if he had to hawk some shots in a game situation, there is a cushion with that shooting %, meaning if he was to force some shots up for the team, there is a good chance at success. Also, if he was needed to spread the floor even more to get defenders off Garza a bit.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20

Last edited:
Wieskamp has definitely taken more contested shots than CJF. I imagine that has a little bit to do with the % difference. It almost seems like Weezy has been trying to force things more this season. I wonder if that was part of the advice he received from the NBA.

Obviously Garza is leading the team in 2 pt attempts and has a great % at 54%. Wieskamp has taken 105 more 2 pt shots than CJF and at 44%. CJF is shooting 2pt shots at 51% and 3pt shots at 47% which is terrific. Wieskamp and Garza are both shooting 3's at 38% which is good on its own.

Sometimes I wonder when guys are shooting an exceptional % if they are not hawking enough for shots. It's probably more important they just play in the flow of the game and let the shots come to them but was just wondering about CJ and what his scoring potential really could be.

It's just nice to know that for some reason if he had to hawk some shots in a game situation, there is a cushion with that shooting %, meaning he he was to force some shots up for the team, there is a good chance at success. Also, if he was needed to spread the floor even more to get defending off Garza a bit.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20

I think he's been picking up his volume here recently. Over the past 5 games he's been averaging around 10 shots compared to a little over 11 for Wieskamp. He doesn't pass up many looks and is constantly working to get them. I don't want him doing heat checks for the sake of doing heat checks, but if nothing's developing and Connor or Toussaint gave him the ball at the end of the shot clock, I don't think anyone would complain.

CJF just makes the correct basketball play. I remember a play against Rutgers when Garza actually kicked it out of the post and CJ had what looked like a decent look at 3, his guy closed out hard and he took one hard dribble to create space and made a perfect post entry to Garza for an easy two. He passed up a decent shot for a great shot. That’s a winning play.

To the point of the OP, yes I wouldn’t mind if he shot it a little bit more, I did think at Maryland he passed up a few he could have taken.

One underrated aspect of CJF’s game is that he currently has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, that’s very good for an off guard, and shows he’s pretty good at setting up his teammates as well.

Wieskamp has definitely taken more contested shots than CJF. I imagine that has a little bit to do with the % difference. It almost seems like Weezy has been trying to force things more this season. I wonder if that was part of the advice he received from the NBA.

I know he was recommended to work on more driving to the basket which he clearly has and is having success doing.

It looks like CJ can do that pull up jumper in the lane whenever he wants. I think he should do it more for sure.
The analytics don’t love that mid range shot, however I would agree when our offense is struggling or if a play breaks down and he can get that shot he should take it.

The cool thing about CJ is he’s been able to score at the basket (usually gets one or two layups a game), at the midrange, and obviously is a sniper from deep. He’s a three level scorer. I really don’t think we can say enough good things about this kid.

It looks like CJ can do that pull up jumper in the lane whenever he wants. I think he should do it more for sure.

It definitely helps to be able to break down the middle some. Obviously Garza's getting a lot of attention on one block and Wieskamp is pulling out defenders to leave the middle a bit open. It helps when Connor knocks down a couple as well as pulls out the D just a bit more. Now when Pemsl is in, the defender is obviously going to sag back down lower a bit.

CJF just makes the correct basketball play. I remember a play against Rutgers when Garza actually kicked it out of the post and CJ had what looked like a decent look at 3, his guy closed out hard and he took one hard dribble to create space and made a perfect post entry to Garza for an easy two. He passed up a decent shot for a great shot. That’s a winning play.

To the point of the OP, yes I wouldn’t mind if he shot it a little bit more, I did think at Maryland he passed up a few he could have taken.

One underrated aspect of CJF’s game is that he currently has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, that’s very good for an off guard, and shows he’s pretty good at setting up his teammates as well.

Better to have this problem than the opposite.

I know he was recommended to work on more driving to the basket which he clearly has and is having success doing.
In my opinion Wieskamp has dribbled himself into some bad spots this year. He really doesn’t have a counter move if he gets beaten to the spot, which he often does. Has he ever done a crossover dribble and switched directions?

I think Wieskamp has probably more or less proved he doesn’t offer much off the bounce than proven otherwise this year. I’m not trying to knock him either kid is still a flat out stud for us it’s just his game is catch and shoot and move without the ball moreso than it is creating for himself or others.

The analytics don’t love that mid range shot, however I would agree when our offense is struggling or if a play breaks down and he can get that shot he should take it.

The cool thing about CJ is he’s been able to score at the basket (usually gets one or two layups a game), at the midrange, and obviously is a sniper from deep. He’s a three level scorer. I really don’t think we can say enough good things about this kid.

I hate the mid range shot. CJ at the free throw line is an exception for me. Same with Jok. I feel like it's at least a 60% shot for them. That might be understating it too. He missed quite a few a couple games ago. Other than that, he's been money from there.

In my opinion Wieskamp has dribbled himself into some bad spots this year. He really doesn’t have a counter move if he gets beaten to the spot, which he often does. Has he ever done a crossover dribble and switched directions?

I think Wieskamp has probably more or less proved he doesn’t offer much off the bounce than proven otherwise this year. I’m not trying to knock him either kid is still a flat out stud for us it’s just his game is catch and shoot and move without the ball moreso than it is creating for himself or others.
Brunner had an awesome take about this on the podcast. He said Wieskamp isn't great and beating his guy off the dribble when his defender is directly in front of him, but if the offense creates an angle for him to get by his defender, he's great at that because he is so explosive to the rim. That explained a lot to me because I was even confusing myself how I can think he's great at getting to the rim and bad at it at the same time. He can't get around his defender on his own, but once he has the angle, it's over.

Brunner had an awesome take about this on the podcast. He said Wieskamp isn't great and beating his guy off the dribble when his defender is directly in front of him, but if the offense creates an angle for him to get by his defender, he's great at that because he is so explosive to the rim. That explained a lot to me because I was even confusing myself how I can think he's great at getting to the rim and bad at it at the same time. He can't get around his defender on his own, but once he has the angle, it's over.

Hence, the reason it is so important for the offense to pass the ball around to move the defense and reverse it. This gets the defense behind, especially after playing D for 25 seconds.

Absolutely. With his size, length, and athleticism if he gets a step on a guy they can’t recover, it’s just about getting that step for him, which hasn’t been easy.

He does so many other things well though. I thought he struggled against Illinois then you look at the box score and see he had 18 points, shot over 50% from the floor and got some huge rebounds down the stretch. That’s a testament to how good he is.

If he had a super good handle and could beat guys off the bounce consistently he’d probably be a lottery pick.

Absolutely. With his size, length, and athleticism if he gets a step on a guy they can’t recover, it’s just about getting that step for him, which hasn’t been easy.

He does so many other things well though. I thought he struggled against Illinois then you look at the box score and see he had 18 points, shot over 50% from the floor and got some huge rebounds down the stretch. That’s a testament to how good he is.

If he had a super good handle and could beat guys off the bounce consistently he’d probably be a lottery pick.
Hopefully he will be a lottery pick in a little over 2 years.

18 points, rebounds and steals, solid defender, money at the FT line and we're discussing his shortcomings. That's a good problem to have. Give me more of these guys.

CJF is getting the best perimeter defenders on him now that he has proven to be very dangerous.

Shots are more difficult, but, yes, good shooters need to shoot, a lot.

Ryan Kriener is 4th on the team in scoring. Who would have ever thunk that?
… Somebody has to be I guess. But yeah we are top heavy with our 3 main men. CM will be up and down in that department. With a ceiling of around 12-14 pts and not scoring at all being a possibility yet still having a great game.
I'm still a fan of JT. I hope he can develop that Mark Jackson tear drop shot when he gets below the FT line on the move. That'd make him deadly if he could. Even more so then a consistent 17 ft jumper would which I also wish he'd have. Because he could get himself that floater almost at anytime be it in fast break situations or halfcourt against any D.

Latest posts