Irish being thumped 21-0

He'll get tripped up now and again, the conference is too tough, but overall I believe this is correct. You are not this dominant without hitting on all cylinders. Recruiting, talent, play calls, in game decisions.

Saban is the best recruiter, he prepares his teams better than anyone else, he develops players better than anyone, and he is the ultimate motivator. When you do those 4 things, play calling and in-game decision making become pretty easy. He is really unreal at this level.

I will say this about SEC recruiting practices. They stink. For example, if you win a scholarship this year, and they recruit a freshman next year that they think will give them a better opportunity to win, they will rip your scholly away to give it to the new dude. Lot's of one and done's in the SEC, a nd a lot of them don't get anywhere else after losing their schollies.Not illegal, but ruthless.

I somewhat agree. College FB is now a southern sport. I will still follow the Bigten though unless it goes big two little eight.
I , unlike you, appreciate the NFL more than ever. It's more fair. The college game is all too often a contest between unequals. Its ok as long as you maintain the illusion of competition, but for me that illusion is gone.

Would ya rather play in nice weather, or nasty weather? I had to play at IA, because everyone else in my family did . Proud !! To be a Hawkeye, but I can understand those who didn't.

I will say this about SEC recruiting practices. They stink. For example, if you win a scholarship this year, and they recruit a freshman next year that they think will give them a better opportunity to win, they will rip your scholly away to give it to the new dude. Lot's of one and done's in the SEC, a nd a lot of them don't get anywhere else after losing their schollies.Not illegal, but ruthless.

I don't think that's true at all. Like any good school, I think they might advise players to look at other schools because they didn't pan out and will never get significant playing time. And they usually help the kid find a school.

If this practice is as common as you're claiming it to be, you should have no problem finding me 5-10 stories in a matter of seconds. You're not going to find many if any stories about coaches yanking a kids scholarship and giving them the finger. "You suck and aren't worthy of a scholarship, gtfo". That's how you're making it sound and if so, that's just not true.

se;1028105]Notre Dame on a neutral field would have 2 losses already this year and about 3 other teams would beat them. Including but not limited to
Oregon
Texas A&M
Georgia[/QUOTE]

Notre Dame would have finished no better than 3rd in either the east or west divisions of the SEC.

He was average at MSU.
Iowa kicked his *** at LSU.
He sucked as coach of the Dolphins.
Looks like he found his pot of gold at Alabama, though.
I don't remember it that way. He was terrific at MSU given the recruiting limitations there. He won a NC at LSU.

I don't think that's true at all. Like any good school, I think they might advise players to look at other schools because they didn't pan out and will never get significant playing time. And they usually help the kid find a school.

If this practice is as common as you're claiming it to be, you should have no problem finding me 5-10 stories in a matter of seconds. You're not going to find many if any stories about coaches yanking a kids scholarship and giving them the finger. "You suck and aren't worthy of a scholarship, gtfo". That's how you're making it sound and if so, that's just not true.

Pulled from article in regards to oversigning:

[h=3]Alabama and Nick Saban[/h] [h=4]2010[/h] [h=5]WSJ Medical Scholarship Concerns[/h] On September 24, 2010, the Wall Street Journal published an article suggesting the University of Alabama and its head coach, Nick Saban, had encouraging some under-performing players to quit the team for medical reasons in order to gain a competitive edge.
Former Alabama linebacker Chuck Kirschman said "I'm still kind of bitter," and Coach Saban encouraged him to accept the scholarship because of a back problem that Kirschman believes he could have played through. Kirschman said the school offered in the summer of 2009 to pay for his graduate degree in business, an offer he accepted, and that he still gets some of the same perks as players. Kirschman completed his MBA in Finance.
Charles Hoke, a former Alabama offensive lineman, took a medical scholarship in 2008 because of a shoulder problem, said the choice was left entirely up to him and was based on the many conversations he had with the team's doctors and trainers over the course of his junior year.
Jeramie Griffin tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in August 2009. He said, "I came back in the spring and I was OK." Griffin said that he was surprised football staff told him he had failed a physical. Griffin said, Saban asked him what he wanted to do besides playing football, and that Saban floated the possibility of a medical scholarship and asked if Griffin was interested in student coaching. Griffin said he doesn't contest the results of the physical and said it was "basically my decision" to forgo the rest of his playing career.
Doug Walker, the school's associate athletic director for media relations, said "Decisions about medical disqualifications for student-athletes are made by medical professionals and adhere to the parameters outlined by the NCAA…and the Southeastern Conference."[SUP][20][/SUP]
On September 29, 2010 Coach Saban responded to questions about the Wall Street Journal Article, "We don't make the decision about medicals. I have nothing to do with that. Those are medical decisions made by our medical staff. I think we have one of the finest medical staffs in the country. I don't have any question about the fact every player we have given a medical to, it's been because of the medical opinion of the medical staff," Saban said. "Those guys should not continue to play football because it would put their future in tremendous risk. Those decisions are always made in the best interest of the player. Whether the player agrees with that or not, I can't control. I don't make the decision. They don't make the decision as players. That's why we have a medical staff."[SUP][21][/SUP]
[h=5]WSJ Transfer Concerns[/h] On November 25, 2010, the Journal reported that several former Alabama players claim Saban and Alabama lied about their reasons for leaving the school.[SUP][3][/SUP] On August 5, 2009, Saban made a statement in a press conference that included a reference to four players Price Hall, Brandon Fanney, Alonzo Lawrence and Jermaine Preyear. "These guys all did something. It doesn't make them bad people.…These guys didn't do what they were supposed to do here, whether it was for academic reasons or whatever. They're not going to be part of the program."[SUP][22][/SUP] The players told The Wall Street Journal they committed no such violations and that Alabama and Saban had only claimed as much so as to protect the image of their program in the eyes of future recruits.
Prince Hall, a starter and All-American as freshman, had been suspended for the 3rd time during the Spring according to published reports, the last being categorized as indefinite. Brandon Fanney, a 14 game starter from the previous season, had been suspended for rules violations during the Spring.[SUP][23][/SUP]
Preyear, who decided to transfer six months after enrolling during the Spring, said he chose to leave over concerns about playing time. "I don't know any rules I could have broken."
Alonzo Lawrence reasons for transfer were unclear, but according to his high school coach his problems at Alabama "wasn't anything major," and tied it to things like being late to team meetings. Lawrence transferred to Southern Miss before moving on to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.[SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP]
[h=5]Saban's Exchange with another Reporter[/h] On April 15, 2008, Saban was asked by reporter Ian Rapoport how he was going to handle the numbers and when does he you start to worry about it? Saban replied "I'm not worried about them. It'll all work out. I mean, the whole thing has a solution to every issue. You don't put yourself in a position where you don't know what's coming." Rapoport respond, "So you're not going to tell us?" to which Saban replied "We know how it has to be managed, and it will be managed. It's none of your business. Aiight? And don't give me this stuff about the fans' need to know, because they don't need to know. Don't even ask. Aiight?"[SUP][26][/SUP]

Soooo, while HFN's post gives some background on it the story, here are some numbers to back it up. If 'bama, and the other $ECheat schools aren't doing thinks like this, how do you explain Alabama signing 136 players over the last 5 seasons when they are only allowed to have 85 scholarships?

Numbers from Scout.
Year Commits
2008 32
2009 27
2010 29
2011 22
2012 26

That's a total of 136 over 5 years and 104 over the last 4. It's also not too hard to find stories of where SEC schools signed players knowing they wouldn't be accepted and telling them to go the JC route, but never coming back to school. A big problem in the world of college sports is that when a player signs a letter of intent it locks them into the school. The school on the other hand, is under no obligation to give them a scholarship that year or any year. If, as posted above, a school decides that a player is not progressing as fast as they would like they can pull the schollie after a year and give it to somebody else. The player can still be on the team, but now has to pay their own way. If schools were forced to honor their commitments to the players in the same way the players are committed to the schools it might make for a much more exciting game.

Soooo, while HFN's post gives some background on it the story, here are some numbers to back it up. If 'bama, and the other $ECheat schools aren't doing thinks like this, how do you explain Alabama signing 136 players over the last 5 seasons when they are only allowed to have 85 scholarships?

Numbers from Scout.
Year Commits
2008 32
2009 27
2010 29
2011 22
2012 26

That's a total of 136 over 5 years and 104 over the last 4. It's also not too hard to find stories of where SEC schools signed players knowing they wouldn't be accepted and telling them to go the JC route, but never coming back to school. A big problem in the world of college sports is that when a player signs a letter of intent it locks them into the school. The school on the other hand, is under no obligation to give them a scholarship that year or any year. If, as posted above, a school decides that a player is not progressing as fast as they would like they can pull the schollie after a year and give it to somebody else. The player can still be on the team, but now has to pay their own way. If schools were forced to honor their commitments to the players in the same way the players are committed to the schools it might make for a much more exciting game.

The B1G is. That's why last year they went ahead and announced schollies are four year schollies instead of year to year. It's too bad the other conferences don't follow suit.

Numbers from Scout.
Year Commits
2008 32
2009 27
2010 29
2011 22
2012 26

I suspect that capping signing in the SEC would do little for the Big Ten. It might marginally knock the top SEC teams down a peg, but I suspect a lot of the talent would still end up in the SEC at a place like Ol Miss or Tennessee. Maybe Clemson in the ACC would benefit as well. Louisville sure looks like it may be stockpiling a heckuva team with Florida guys, too, but they're also in the South. The Big Ten's reputation is trash and ESPN will continue to feed the SEC myth due to their financial ties to the conference. We just have to get used to sucking and it will continue as places like Ohio, Michigan, PA and Illinois empty out as economic activity leaves the rust belt.

Say what you will about Saban, Alabama, the SEC, recruiting, how bad KF is, a football playoff system, etc. The important thing is that I enjoyed the hell out of watching Notre Dame get kicked all over the field and embarrassed on the national stage. They have been overrated all year and will be again next year. The best thing to be said about ND this year is..."Well, they weren't irrelevent."

Say what you will about Saban, Alabama, the SEC, recruiting, how bad KF is, a football playoff system, etc. The important thing is that I enjoyed the hell out of watching Notre Dame get kicked all over the field and embarrassed on the national stage. They have been overrated all year and will be again next year. The best thing to be said about ND this year is..."Well, they weren't irrelevent."

I hate the Domers as much as the next guy but I am getting sick and tired of seeing an $EC team carry the crystal football off of the field year after year. Would have much rather have seen the Domers do it.

Latest posts