Iowa's pro day.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago

Iowa's Marc Weisman is a freak. Should be No. 1 fullback off the board. Huge workout today. He's Kuhn Jr. but more athletic.

72 retweets 61 favorites

I think I saw Vandenberg throwing passes during it in some of the pics... I hope my Niners take Weisman. Their fullback got himself in trouble recently. Wish they'd dump him for MW.

marcmorehouse ‏@marcmorehouse

Scherff said WR Damond Powell threw up a mega-fast 40. Please don't tweet "should've used him more." I already know that. Just an FYI.

In some of those pic's Chris Berman would be right there saying what he says best......

Rumblin, Bumblin, Stumblin....Scherff, Donnel, Gaul....awesome

Weisman ran a 4.61.... Not shabby at all. This RB class was slow lots of 4.5 and under times. For a 242 lb fullback he should get looked at. Wouldn't surprise me if he's drafted late.

exactly what shonn greene ran.

message board fans are funny.

I think Mark had pretty good top end speed, as long as it's in a straight line, and there's no one in front of him forcing him to move laterally.

Unfortunately, we ran him in an offense that requires cut backs, and MW just could not do it against decent competition. He lacked vision, cutting, and that acceleration that running backs have.

He is a fullback. He got an insane amount of carries as a tailback in this program.

Shonn may not have had the best wheels (though he sure ran away from a lot of people on the field), but he had great vision and the intangibles listed above.

MW did the best he could, and I have no negative opinion of him as a football player/person. He was the WRONG fit for this offense, and that's not his fault.

Iowa's Marc Weisman is a freak. Should be No. 1 fullback off the board. Huge workout today. He's Kuhn Jr. but more athletic.

I wish Ferentz knew he was a FB. The backfield would have produced last year.

72 retweets 61 favorites

Key word in that tweet - "fullback". Quality guy from everything I've read and heard about him, but he was not a running back. He just wasn't. He originally played as a stop gap because Iowa was out of backs. It's as if that was forgotten as time went on.

Weisman was a good running back when he was healthy and not so good when not healthy, at least when he was a healthy sophomore, he seemed quicker. But the more he got hurt, the slower he seemed even when got healthy again. He just never seemed to get back to his early sophomore year level.

Based on what we saw when was a sophomore, the plan should have worked as a senior to limit his carries and keep him healthy, but he just was not the same back anymore.

More info on Weisman's pro day performance

Compared to all of the RBs invited to the NFL combine (RBs, not FBs), here is how Weisman compared:

• Of the 31 running backs who ran the 40 at the Combine, only 12 were faster than Weisman's 4.61.
  • Of the 25 backs to run the three-cone drill at the Combine, only four were faster than Weisman’s 6.88.
  • Of the 32 backs who did the broad jump, only four jumped further than Weisman’s 10 feet, 3 inches.
  • Of the 26 backs who performed the short shuttle, only nine were faster than Weisman’s 4.17.
  • Of the 29 backs who did the vertical jump, only eight jumped higher than Weisman’s 36 inches.
His testing numbers would seem to indicate an adequate level of agility, and I think we saw that sometimes on the field. As some have said, perhaps the times we he has looked less-than-productive are due more to team issues than individual issues. Best of luck to him at the next level.

More info on Weisman's pro day performance

Compared to all of the RBs invited to the NFL combine (RBs, not FBs), here is how Weisman compared:

• Of the 31 running backs who ran the 40 at the Combine, only 12 were faster than Weisman's 4.61.
  • Of the 25 backs to run the three-cone drill at the Combine, only four were faster than Weisman’s 6.88.
  • Of the 32 backs who did the broad jump, only four jumped further than Weisman’s 10 feet, 3 inches.
  • Of the 26 backs who performed the short shuttle, only nine were faster than Weisman’s 4.17.
  • Of the 29 backs who did the vertical jump, only eight jumped higher than Weisman’s 36 inches.
His testing numbers would seem to indicate an adequate level of agility, and I think we saw that sometimes on the field. As some have said, perhaps the times we he has looked less-than-productive are due more to team issues than individual issues. Best of luck to him at the next level.

Wow. Good stuff. I am a big fan of MW, but this is actually a big surprise to me. I hope he gets a good look and some quality time in the NFL down the road.
Great guy, who will be a very good spokesperson for Iowa football down the road.

Wow. Good stuff. I am a big fan of MW, but this is actually a big surprise to me. I hope he gets a good look and some quality time in the NFL down the road.
Great guy, who will be a very good spokesperson for Iowa football down the road.

There should be a drill with either tackling dummies or live linemen blocking and he has to cut to find the hole....or end up running into the back of his OL :)

I think MW is a great athlete. He isn't a division one tailback.

If an NFL team needs a FB, MW should definitely be drafted and have a solid career if he can avoid injuries. He does have good speed for a fullback, a nose for the goal line, and seems like a really good person.

He did his best for Iowa.

Needless to say MW helped himself and opened some scouts eyes... Every team would like a FB that has the tools he's working with. It's a top heavy RB class I think and I couldn't name you another FB coming out. He may get drafted in the late rounds but if he's lucky he won't be. That way he can pick what team he'd fit on better perhaps. We'll see.

David Johnson will be a sneaky good middle round pickup for someone. He may end up being Demarco Murry 2.0... That guy ran faster then Gordon and that surprised me. I figured Gordon was a 4.4ish guy the way he ran away from people. He must have that Jerry Rice speed where he's faster when people are chasing him.

From MSN regarding Scherff:

"Considering Brandon Scherff is projected to play guard in the NFL, it’s hard to imagine his stock could be pointed upward any more than it already was.

Most analysts have projected Scherff as the first offensive lineman taken in this draft. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has him going ninth overall to the New York Giants in his latest mock draft.

So, what could be responsible for Scherff’s elevating draft stock?

At Iowa’s pro day Monday, the versatile blocker electrified onlookers with a 7.07-second three-cone time, per Hawkeye Football, which would have been the second-best at the combine since 2006, according to Rotoworld.

He also posted an impressive 4.41-second short shuttle, making him the most physically gifted offensive lineman in this draft, according to my system for combining athletic measurables.

If Scherff would have been available outside the top 10 before March 24, he certainly won’t be now."

Latest posts