Iowa's pro day.

From MSN regarding Scherff:

"Considering Brandon Scherff is projected to play guard in the NFL, it’s hard to imagine his stock could be pointed upward any more than it already was.

Most analysts have projected Scherff as the first offensive lineman taken in this draft. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has him going ninth overall to the New York Giants in his latest mock draft.

So, what could be responsible for Scherff’s elevating draft stock?

At Iowa’s pro day Monday, the versatile blocker electrified onlookers with a 7.07-second three-cone time, per Hawkeye Football, which would have been the second-best at the combine since 2006, according to Rotoworld.

He also posted an impressive 4.41-second short shuttle, making him the most physically gifted offensive lineman in this draft, according to my system for combining athletic measurables.

If Scherff would have been available outside the top 10 before March 24, he certainly won’t be now."

Which stinks in the sense that he'll end up on a bad team like the Redskins maybe.... I really hope he don't go there of all places... The Giants have been much talked about at #9 as being where he won't fall further than. Not sure he'd like to be in the big city so much either but I think they'll be a decent team this year. It'll be an interesting draft for sure.

Wow. Good stuff. I am a big fan of MW, but this is actually a big surprise to me. I hope he gets a good look and some quality time in the NFL down the road.
Great guy, who will be a very good spokesperson for Iowa football down the road.
Hope he has some good years in the NFL and then comes back to Iowa and joins the strength staff!

Needless to say MW helped himself and opened some scouts eyes... Every team would like a FB that has the tools he's working with. It's a top heavy RB class I think and I couldn't name you another FB coming out. He may get drafted in the late rounds but if he's lucky he won't be. That way he can pick what team he'd fit on better perhaps. We'll see.

David Johnson will be a sneaky good middle round pickup for someone. He may end up being Demarco Murry 2.0... That guy ran faster then Gordon and that surprised me. I figured Gordon was a 4.4ish guy the way he ran away from people. He must have that Jerry Rice speed where he's faster when people are chasing him.
Would not be surprised to see Johnson from UNI go late 2nd round. He's the real deal and could be even better at the next level.

Would not be surprised to see Johnson from UNI go late 2nd round. He's the real deal and could be even better at the next level.
The best I've seen in the mock drafts is 4th round. Most have him in the 5th. I'm not a Viking fan but I'd like to see him go there with the uncertainty of AP.

I don't care about the NFL. I don't care about our Pro Day. It's never helped us attract high end recruits, so who cares? My idea of celebrating a Pro Day is when KF either goes back to the Pros or he becomes a professional retiree. Then I'll break out the chips and dip.

More info on Weisman's pro day performance

Compared to all of the RBs invited to the NFL combine (RBs, not FBs), here is how Weisman compared:

• Of the 31 running backs who ran the 40 at the Combine, only 12 were faster than Weisman's 4.61.
  • Of the 25 backs to run the three-cone drill at the Combine, only four were faster than Weisman’s 6.88.
  • Of the 32 backs who did the broad jump, only four jumped further than Weisman’s 10 feet, 3 inches.
  • Of the 26 backs who performed the short shuttle, only nine were faster than Weisman’s 4.17.
  • Of the 29 backs who did the vertical jump, only eight jumped higher than Weisman’s 36 inches.
His testing numbers would seem to indicate an adequate level of agility, and I think we saw that sometimes on the field. As some have said, perhaps the times we he has looked less-than-productive are due more to team issues than individual issues. Best of luck to him at the next level.

This pretty much proves a lot of what I have said the last couple years:
--Weisman is a lot quicker/faster than people think
--The rest of our RBs are either not healthy or, frankly, not as good as advertised
--Jon Miller is fine as a site host. As an assessor of talent, not so much
--Problems go beyond just QB or RB
--How dumb must KF be to use a guy with these kinds of skill numbers?
--Yep, Greg Davis is a genius, KF is holding him back (last one is sarcastic, as I noted in another thread, reports are GD has thrown Weisman under the bus during new facility tours)

How can SO many people be SO wrong? Easy. Board loaded with Iowa fans.

KF's system is predicated on hard work, effort, attitude, technique, risk aversion. All qualities that are commendable and important. They also lend themselves to the overachievers type of player. We definitely can win some games with this group and philosophy.

What has been missed with this prism is the raw talent, play maker, risk taker, gunslinger, difference maker types that when game time comes and the lights are the brightest they go off scr-ipt to make the game deciding plays that put you over the top. Sometimes this will back fire as well like a kid making a forward lateral on a kickoff. But in the end big time players, make big time plays and they do those things on game day.

A great example is Clayborn's punt block against PSU in 2009, Tate to Holloway, Sash's lateral to Hyde on a pick that became a pick 6 in 2010 against MSU, etc., etc.

KF has not allowed for this as much any more and has not recruited and/or put guys on the field capable of making plays out there. Often this is about making tough choices. The all-practice player vs the game time guy.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago

Iowa's Marc Weisman is a freak. Should be No. 1 fullback off the board. Huge workout today. He's Kuhn Jr. but more athletic.

72 retweets 61 favorites

Kuhn was a FA, did he resign? There is no middle class in the NFL, they are always looking younger and cheaper. Given the Iowa connection, if they did not resign Kuhn, bet money that MW will end up a Packer.

I wish Ferentz knew he was a FB. The backfield would have produced last year.

I remember when everybody on this board used Weisman as the "poster boy" for their argument that Ferentz didn't play the best players. Ferentz was stupid because Weisman wasn't moved to running back earlier.

--The rest of our RBs are either not healthy or, frankly, not as good as advertised
--Yep, Greg Davis is a genius, KF is holding him back (last one is sarcastic, as I noted in another thread, reports are GD has thrown Weisman under the bus during new facility tours)

good stuff 'bob'.....yes, many quick to bash weisman - nice to see him gets some accolades that are measurable....it wasn't a fluke- the amount of yards and tds he accumulated. i believe his main problem was he played hurt too much.

good stuff 'bob'.....yes, many quick to bash weisman - nice to see him gets some accolades that are measurable....it wasn't a fluke- the amount of yards and tds he accumulated. i believe his main problem was he played hurt too much.

I am under no illusion, of course, that Mark was better suited as a FB. But when Bullock suffered a head injury, then Garmon the elbow injury--after having already "lost" Wegher/A-Rob/Coker/Canzeri for various reasons, and semi-lost Brad Rodgers parts of each season, culminating in his giving it up due to health--Weisman was our only choice.

Canzeri looks to have the skills, and a healthy Canzeri clearly would have made for a better "stable". But after 2012, we were never in a position to move MW back to FB.

The kid gained over 2600 yards in 3 seasons. NONE of those were full seasons, either. And 2012 also saw the OL lose two top-tier players within minutes.

Why would him being faster than some thought prove anything?

Jon said he was a fullback and that is exactly what the pro scouts think too.

He was serviceable but clearly not a great running back.

what it proves is that measurables don't matter much ability does.

Last edited:
The best I've seen in the mock drafts is 4th round. Most have him in the 5th. I'm not a Viking fan but I'd like to see him go there with the uncertainty of AP.
I think round 4-6 was before the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. Here some more recent info saying 2-3 round (including Mel Kiper after the combine) ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/RB

http://optimumscouting.com/rankings/static-rankings/rb-rankings.html

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015RB.php

http://nfldraftgeek.com/2015nflmockdraft-roundthree.html

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...cle_daa4b3ee-e48d-5b0c-82ef-265d9afb60fc.html

I don't think him being faster proved anything, but I was surprised that he was that fast. I would have assumed from watching him play the last 3 years it was gonna be in the 4.75 range.

That said, I think it just shows what a joke 40 times really are. They train for them for the combine, plus if you want an accurate measure put all pads and gear on and see fast they run then. Not only that but how quickly a RB can get to full spend is more important than straight line 40 speed IMO.

I think you are missing the point, bob62 stated in the above post that MW was clearly better suited as a fullback. MW was just the best of the alternatives for whatever reason. I am not sure I disagree with that.

I think you are missing the point, bob62 stated in the above post that MW was clearly better suited as a fullback. MW was just the best of the alternatives for whatever reason. I am not sure I disagree with that.

Hes said those numbers proved a bunch of people were wrong about something.

I asked him to clarify what?

I don't think him being faster proved anything, but I was surprised that he was that fast. I would have assumed from watching him play the last 3 years it was gonna be in the 4.75 range.

That said, I think it just shows what a joke 40 times really are. They train for them for the combine, plus if you want an accurate measure put all pads and gear on and see fast they run then. Not only that but how quickly a RB can get to full spend is more important than straight line 40 speed IMO.

Watching a player play is really all you need.

straight line timed sprints are not very meaningful considering there's so much stop and start and lateral movement in football.

straight line timed sprints are not very meaningful considering there's so much stop and start and lateral movement in football.

He was even better in his change of direction drills than he was in his 40. However, as you said, that does not necessarily translate directly into on-field productivity. However, I do think people tend to underestimate his feet and his ability to read and make cuts. I hope he can prove his worth at the next level.

By no means are timed sprints the end all be all in evaluating players that's been debunked a million times over. Jerry Rice is the only example one needs. However there does need to be minimum that one can do. If Weisman ran like a 5 second 40 he'd never get considered. It's just a way of confirming their abilities and attempting to differentiate between the kids. What they do between the white lines on game days to me is their true resume however. What's Mike Mamula doing today?

Latest posts