Iowa's OL ranked #1 in country by ESPN

Wow...if this isn't nice to see. However, it might be a little premature to say they're the best in the country. Ironic that Ross took his talents to Alabama and now the Hawks have a good share of the accolades.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...es-rank-college-football-best-position-groups
Wow is right... I wouldn't have guessed this. I have high expectations for this group but myself not knowing much about the other groups out there it still surprises me for them to be thought of like this. All I can say is if this is half true (and Beathard/Daniels/Wadley stay healthy) then the rest of college football better not be surprised if Iowa has another monster year...

Very surprised by this, especially by ESPN who takes every opportunity they can to push SEC schools ahead. Iowa is best when solid at the O & D lines.

I hope this isn't the kiss of death. the Oline has a lot of players with PT but I wouldn't say lots of experience. I am hoping they are one of the best.

Agree, lots of pt, versatility and potential but based on what - horrible attrition across all the other programs?

It's about right that the "big" pundits are 1 or 2 years behind / ahead of the bandwagon. Worth debating if they would've said DB's or LB's, and certainly the entire defensive back 7 but OL? This is a year to early.

I think I know how they came up with this. First they affix the names of the better offensive line programs onto a cork board. They get a handful of darts and a blindfold. The sports reporters than take turns being blindfolded and pointed in the general direction of the board. First dart that sticks in a label is the #1 team.

That's some pretty high praise. I don't think we'll have the best OL in the country but I think we'll have the best OL in the Big Ten and anytime we have an elite OL we're going to be in position to have a great season.

A conspiracy theorist may think that good ole ESPN is setting Iowa up to fail... If say they do look middle of the roadish ESPN would have a reason to bash them... I am pretty surprised by this I doubt many other media outlets or analysts feel the same...

I hope this isn't the kiss of death. the Oline has a lot of players with PT but I wouldn't say lots of experience. I am hoping they are one of the best.

The last time they said this about our offensive line they struggled keeping the QB off of his back. Let's hope the law of averages kicks in this time for the better.

I remember in 2010 pre-season, Iowa was supposed to have the best special teams in the country.

And special teams ended up having a lot of issues that year.

I remember a couple of years ago KMM was predicted to be a pre-season all-American punt returner and he ended up not even the main punt returner on the team that year.

Pre-season predictions are interesting but ultimately they don't mean much. I hope this prediction ends up coming true but I wouldn't bet on it.

ANyone see the games in which we could NOT pick up a blitz against a good team? That will have to get much better before I buy that deal.

Rankings like this may not seem like they mean all that much, but if I'm a highly ranked skill player, wouldn't it make sense to strongly consider the school listed at number one for the OL? It certainly would for me if I was in that position.

ANyone see the games in which we could NOT pick up a blitz against a good team? That will have to get much better before I buy that deal.
This! Exactly.
I don't understand how we are supposed to improve so much. I dont expect this OL to be any better than average.
If you think they'll be great, can you please explain to me why you think that? I would love to feel better about it.

This! Exactly.
I don't understand how we are supposed to improve so much. I dont expect this OL to be any better than average.
If you think they'll be great, can you please explain to me why you think that? I would love to feel better about it.

I see this as a little overly pessimistic. I would put "average" on the lower end of expectations. I would be genuinely surprised if this OL was below average for Iowa. There are just too many guys in the depth chart that can do at least an adequate job. I see this years starters as an improvement at every position except center and left guard. Just how much of an improvement is the big question.

The same article has Michigan having the top defensive backs in the country. I think a pretty good argument can be made that Iowa has the best DBs' in the Big Ten.

I guess Ross gave up the opportunity to play on the top ranked oline in the nation. And all he has to show for it is a National Championship ring.

Latest posts