Iowa's Offensive Numbers Don't Add Up

Wide open sure sounds better than stale and predictable, I was all for the "its KOK's fault" but its much more than that. The attitude on the team is at an all time low. Everyone just stands around watching each other rather then motivating each other. The numbers don't mean anything, Stanzi in his JR year had awful TD/INT ratio and won games. I don't know how he won games the system was the exact same mess it is now. Greene and a better D helped but Ricks JR year was a fluke that sadly assured KF and company their system is sound. Its not....its clearly not and if changes are not made 6-7 seasons are coming fast and often.

Jon nice OP Iowa offense has the same problem year after year, and we never make ajustments.

what adjustments are needed?

I can say one thing that needs adjusted is that we need to find some receivers that can catch balls thrown to their hands. I thought Soup was to be a miracle worker here?? This saison was brutal for dropped easy passes.

Iowa's offense will never be good with this passing scheme/game. A pro-style offense without a pro-style passing game. I am not saying we have a lot of pro receivers and qbs thru the KF years but that is what you would need. If you look at NFL teams in a pro-style not running a west coast these teams take shots down the field.

The Iowa passing game is not good at going down the field and they hardly ever try to put deep pressure on safeties. NFL teams that take shots down the field are able to get their tight ends and rbs open on routes 20 yards down the hash marks.

In KF's first 5 or 6 years it seems like we saw more shots down the field, more passes to the fb (totally not in the playbook), and more TE down the deep middle.

Iowa's passing playbook has shrunk so much defenses are all over it.

When was the last time we had a rb run a wheel route 30 to 40 yards downfield?

what adjustments are needed?

I can say one thing that needs adjusted is that we need to find some receivers that can catch balls thrown to their hands.

LOL I agree that would be an awesome start....but a better start would be a head coach who acts professional in media settings, motivating and leading by example would be where I would seek to start. A 13 year coach shouldn't act and say the things he says it wears off on the players and their attitudes for sure. I think the lack of execution stems from lack of motivation....and maybe that's just poor recruiting.

If only we could play lower level competition all season........

Coker - 143/ISU, 252/MN, 140/IU, 147/PU vs. overall season avg of 115.3

Vandy - 399/Pitt, 270/ULM, 253/IN, 273/PU vs. overall season avg of 232.5

McNutt - 140/TT, 184/IN, 151/PU vs. overall season avg of 101.2

And then comes more talent from the opposition.........

Coker - 77/PSU, 60/MSU, 89/NE

Vandy - 169/PSU, 171/MI, 182/NE, 216/OU

McNutt - 73/PSU, 29/NE, 46/OU

Also Vandy on the road.....207/ISU, 169/PSU, 177/MN, 182/NE

Give HGF's JVB analysis a read. Also remember the defenses that Stanzi had. If I am under center with those defenses, I am gonna take more chances.

Also, you are missing the point of the article. If I would have told you before the year that Iowa would have a QB go for 3000/25/6, a RB with nearly 1400 and 15 TD and a WR with 1300 yards, my guess is you would have expected Iowa to be better than 7-6.

So why weren't they? That is the question...is it philosophical? Lack of execution when it mattered? I don't know.

I don't know either but I do know that it would appear that if we are not able to control the ball under the Ferentz approach to the game then we aren't as successful. I'm putting my money on our current level of talent as being a key contributor to our current state of the union.

Time of possession ranking all Div 1 / season record:

2011 - 94th / 7-6
2010 - 59th / 8-5
2009 - 28th / 11-2
2008 - 29th / 9-4
2007 - 88th / 6-6
2006 - 117th / 6-7
2005 - 105th / 7-5
2004 - 24th / 10-2
2003 - 59th / 10-3

Latest posts