Iowa's offense

We also need to run/fake the jet sweeps often. Tracy and IKM are very dangerous and it helps to spread the linebackers out a bit, they can't just run straight to the hole if they don't want to give up the edge. Saw some of that in the Holiday Bowl against USC - we have some big play guys at WR now, lets use em!

Edit: Meant ISM, not IKM

Last edited:
We also need to run/fake the jet sweeps often. Tracy and IKM are very dangerous and it helps to spread the linebackers out a bit, they can't just run straight to the hole if they don't want to give up the edge. Saw some of that in the Holiday Bowl against USC - we have some big play guys at WR now, lets use em!
BFs playcalling in the bowl game was great. Mixed run and pass. Some plays like that were huge. Tracys TD obviously early on. I think play calling is our largest X factor. We have some great skill guys all over to work with. If he calls a boring conservative game will that be indicutive of where Petras is?

BFs playcalling in the bowl game was great. Mixed run and pass. Some plays like that were huge. Tracys TD obviously early on. I think play calling is our largest X factor. We have some great skill guys all over to work with. If he calls a boring conservative game will that be indicutive of where Petras is?
I'm sure they'll want to be confident in his ability to do the basic plays and add to that based on what he sees. Jet sweeps and fakes shouldn't be too hard to execute though, hope they use the threats to our advantage.

-------------
bottom line
--------------

More talent, more dudes, guys who can "make plays". Iowa's playmakers have been few. ISM became one but, and there's Goodson, charile jones had a few plays. Iowa needs a guy or two who could score nearly every time they get the ball. That kind of X factor is missing.

Not only does Iowa struggle to attract those guys, 2 of them left the program. Now its a reputation thats working against them.

This 2022 team will line up in two tight ends a lot and just play neanderthal ball pushing the line of scrimage down the field

shoot the season hasn't even started, and I'm allready fussing about the offense. KF has low expectations or high tollerence of bad offense.

Last edited:
So we’ve had a lacking Oline for the last several years despite having a head coach who is an offensive line guru, an offensive coordinator who was an Olinemen, and we’ve produced several NFL linemen?

Something doesn’t add up in that equation, and that’s my point.

What is disturbing is that the original post was from 2019, with follow-up posts lamenting the poor line play and how it was the root of the offense problems for several previous years.
The 2019 OL had Wirfs, Jackson and Linderbaum - 3 players now in the NFL.
As another post in the original thread suggested, perhaps its not a lack of talent but the scheme that is the real problem with the OL.

Last edited:

Unfortunately It appears the B1G announcers agree with the sentiments on the forum here according to this guys.

Sounds like Iowa is going to have a top to bottom type of team.

Top ten defense.
Bottom Ten offense

I certainly hope it’s better than that on offense, but if Petras is as inconsistent as it’s made to sound it’s going to be painful to watch the offense again this year. Half of the offense we did have last year left with Charlie and Goodson.

You would think that with a former NFL tight end coach as a offensive coordinator that we would see an offense built around the strongest point we have on offense. Wait and see I guess.

Unfortunately It appears the B1G announcers agree with the sentiments on the forum here according to this guys.

Sounds like Iowa is going to have a top to bottom type of team.

Top ten defense.
Bottom Ten offense

I certainly hope it’s better than that on offense, but if Petras is as inconsistent as it’s made to sound it’s going to be painful to watch the offense again this year. Half of the offense we did have last year left with Charlie and Goodson.

You would think that with a former NFL tight end coach as a offensive coordinator that we would see an offense built around the strongest point we have on offense. Wait and see I guess.

All they see is one damn practice. And at these kid's days, all people see is one practice. A simple practice, so it really is tough to get an accurate judgement with such a small sample size.

All they see is one damn practice. And at these kid's days, all people see is one practice. A simple practice, so it really is tough to get an accurate judgement with such a small sample size.

Point well taken. Besides the adrenaline factor between a practice and a real game are day and night.

Point well taken. Besides the adrenaline factor between a practice and a real game are day and night.

I really didn't realize this point above until it was explained by a media guy getting interviewed by one of the local sports talk shows on the radio. It hit home and I was trying to explain it like they did on the radio.

When listening, I was like da, makes sense. It's a nice gesture by Iowa and coaching staff to let the fans watch for a practice, and at the same time kind of a small money grab from concessions. It really isn't much more than that.

Plus, the Iowa coaches aren't going to show much of any new things they work on. They are pretty much doing their vanilla drills and practice.

Iowa will be at least a middle of the pack on offense, particularly in the West. Think about it.

What is disturbing is that the original post was from 2019, with follow-up posts lamenting the poor line play and how it was the root of the offense problems for several previous years.
The 2019 OL had Wirfs, Jackson and Linderbaum - 3 players now in the NFL.
As another post in the original thread suggested, perhaps its not a lack of talent but the scheme that is the real problem with the OL.
Still disturbing....

Still disturbing....
Which makes one wonder if it's more schematic and situational play calling as much as anything like you said. I don't care how good the line is if you're running the same zone running play from one hashmark to the short side of the field on 1st downs over and over predictably so to the point novice fans can point it out then you're setting yourself up for a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs. It just does...

I think it comes down to execution and technique. Or at least that has always been the way under KF. We take 2-3 star kids and build them into potential NFL draft picks, but normally, we rarely have more talent than opponents.

Opposing coaching staffs often talk about Hawkeye teams having great technique and always being in the right position. This is obviously coached. We see new wrinkle offenses/defenses in college football, but eventually they get figured out.

That's where technique and being in the right spot and having your teammates in the right position can be more important than talent, speed and etc. Iowa normally does more with less. That's what we do.

I think our O-line is a bit more experienced this year and a bit older. Improvement "should" happen, I hope. Obviously, it would be great to have a ton of 5 star talent, speed and etc, but I think due to demographics, and our less than flashy offense, it's highly unlikely.

I still think there is a lot of optimism for this year, and while we tend to be pretty vanilla on offense, maybe there is potential to add some new wrinkles to our scheme.

I know it's not popular to defend BF, but if you cannot open holes or pass protect, it's going to make your playbook a whole lot smaller. Hoping for more explosive plays and opportunities for Cade to make some plays with his arm and legs which in turn will open things up for both the run game and passing game.

I think it comes down to execution and technique. Or at least that has always been the way under KF. We take 2-3 star kids and build them into potential NFL draft picks, but normally, we rarely have more talent than opponents.

Opposing coaching staffs often talk about Hawkeye teams having great technique and always being in the right position. This is obviously coached. We see new wrinkle offenses/defenses in college football, but eventually they get figured out.

That's where technique and being in the right spot and having your teammates in the right position can be more important than talent, speed and etc. Iowa normally does more with less. That's what we do.

I think our O-line is a bit more experienced this year and a bit older. Improvement "should" happen, I hope. Obviously, it would be great to have a ton of 5 star talent, speed and etc, but I think due to demographics, and our less than flashy offense, it's highly unlikely.

I still think there is a lot of optimism for this year, and while we tend to be pretty vanilla on offense, maybe there is potential to add some new wrinkles to our scheme.

I know it's not popular to defend BF, but if you cannot open holes or pass protect, it's going to make your playbook a whole lot smaller. Hoping for more explosive plays and opportunities for Cade to make some plays with his arm and legs which in turn will open things up for both the run game and passing game.
BF has no worse problems to deal with than many of the other teams who ranked above the second to last offense in college football.

Which makes one wonder if it's more schematic and situational play calling as much as anything like you said. I don't care how good the line is if you're running the same zone running play from one hashmark to the short side of the field on 1st downs over and over predictably so to the point novice fans can point it out then you're setting yourself up for a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs. It just does...
VERY predictable playing starts problem. Same thing with all Oc's. Cap a bit involved huh? Will be more open this year, I feel.

BF has no worse problems to deal with than many of the other teams who ranked above the second to last offense in college football.
I think more of my argument is that we did not execute or were as efficient as we could have been. You take out talent of the equation, it comes down to execution. You take two equal teams and the independent variables such as a chance turnover, field position, and which team more efficiently executes their game plan is likely the winner.

By no means is this giving BF a pass. His job is to find ways to run the offense with the talent and personnel he has. This only exploited the deficiencies the offense had last year. I just think there were many reasons why the offense struggled last year. At the end of the day, the buck stops with KF and BF. Hoping they have things figured out to see a different outcome than of last year. I'm optimistic.