Iowa's NCAA Draws

Getting put up against a 1 or 2 seed isn't good. But there are plenty of flame outs that are a 1 or 2. We always get the exact opposite.

The moral of the story here is Iowa needs to start getting better seeds than 7,8,&9 to give them a better chance of benefitting from some early upsets. It pretty obvious that the 7/10 and 8/9 slots are not working out too well for them.

IF you are only going to bring up the last 2 years for Iowa state then why have stats from 1987 on there for Iowa ?

OK. Here's your stats from 1987 (they didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament that year) through this year.

2016 - Virginia (Elite 8)... Sweet 16
2015 - UAB (Second Round)... First round
2014 - UConn (National Champ)... Sweet 16
2013 - tOSU (Elite 8)... Second Round
2012 - Kentucky (National Champ)... Second Round
2005 - UNC (National Champ)... Second Round
2001 - Hampton (Second Round)... First Round
2000 - Mich St (National Champ)... Elite 8
1997 - UCLA (Elite 8)... Sweet 16
1996 - Utah (Elite 8)... Second Round
1995 - UNC (Final 4)... Second Round
1993 - UCLA (Second Round)... First Round
1992 - Kentucky (Elite 8)... Second Round
1989 - UCLA (Second Round)... First Round
1988 - Ga Tech (Second Round)... First Round

How the teams that knocked ISU out finished:
National Champs - 4
Runner-up - 0
Final 4 - 1
Elite 8 - 5
Sweet 16 - 0
2nd Round - 5

The composite of Iowa's opponents have finished better than the composite of ISU's opponents.

Instead of complaining about stats, perhaps you could look them up yourself. Took 5-10 minutes on the web to find this info and type it up.

OK. Here's your stats from 1987 (they didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament that year) through this year.

2016 - Virginia (Elite 8)... Sweet 16
2015 - UAB (Second Round)... First round
2014 - UConn (National Champ)... Sweet 16
2013 - tOSU (Elite 8)... Second Round
2012 - Kentucky (National Champ)... Second Round
2005 - UNC (National Champ)... Second Round
2001 - Hampton (Second Round)... First Round
2000 - Mich St (National Champ)... Elite 8
1997 - UCLA (Elite 8)... Sweet 16
1996 - Utah (Elite 8)... Second Round
1995 - UNC (Final 4)... Second Round
1993 - UCLA (Second Round)... First Round
1992 - Kentucky (Elite 8)... Second Round
1989 - UCLA (Second Round)... First Round
1988 - Ga Tech (Second Round)... First Round

How the teams that knocked ISU out finished:
National Champs - 4
Runner-up - 0
Final 4 - 1
Elite 8 - 5
Sweet 16 - 0
2nd Round - 5

The composite of Iowa's opponents have finished better than the composite of ISU's opponents.

Instead of complaining about stats, perhaps you could look them up yourself. Took 5-10 minutes on the web to find this info and type it up.
lol you see buddy instead of complaining about i didn't look up the stats myself, read the thread lmao I already did this work in like 5 mins. Posted it like 6 hours ago :confused:

Iowa shoulda been playing a 7 seed in Des Moines. Nobody to blame but themselves

bottom line, in a nutshell, QFT!

So tired of Iowa fans working so hard to rationalize Hawks lack of success. Waaaa, we always have to play the toughest, hottest team that's the worst possible matchup and plays their best game of the season! Waaaa, Iowa has the WORST luck of any team in the NCAA! Waaaa, no other team EVER has as tough a road to victory as Iowa!

Beyond all the whining, rationalizing, superficial statistics and plain ol' homer narrative lies the undeniable realization ... get better, play better, coach better, especially when the lights come on in March, not in January.

Tough draws indeed, but I've been saying this a lot lately: If you don't want to play a potential Final Four team in the second round, then get a higher seed. That means having a better regular season without an epic melt down. Just get a 5 seed and you delay this until at least the Sweet 16, and you can always hope for upsets.

That said, it does seem like every time Iowa plays a higher seed in the dance, said opponent always seems to bring their A++++ game, without fail, and there's zero chance of an upset.

To nicely tie this all in together, we need to compare where Iowa finished in the B1G standings for every year they made the tourney.

Something tells me the data will show we 'earned' exactly where we got seeded. And thus, 'earned' exactly who we played in the 2nd round.

In other words, we probably never get an abnormally low or high seeding as compared to where we finished (this year excluded....seeded too low).

Up for it Windsor?

People make the dumbest arguement ever. We should have been playing a 7 seed in Des Moines? If you're going to say we should have been a top 8 team, why not just say we "should have" been the number one overall seed?

There were 3 other 2 seeds that were half the team Villanova was. That's all people are saying. Even if we deserved a 7 seed, it was bad luck to draw the best 2 seed.

bottom line, in a nutshell, QFT!

So tired of Iowa fans working so hard to rationalize Hawks lack of success. Waaaa, we always have to play the toughest, hottest team that's the worst possible matchup and plays their best game of the season! Waaaa, Iowa has the WORST luck of any team in the NCAA! Waaaa, no other team EVER has as tough a road to victory as Iowa!

Beyond all the whining, rationalizing, superficial statistics and plain ol' homer narrative lies the undeniable realization ... get better, play better, coach better, especially when the lights come on in March, not in January.

Now go make it a good day!

I think it's fair to say Iowa plays to their seed. They win NCAA games they are supposed to win and lose games they are supposed to lose...based on seeding. Davis took a team to the Elite 8 and that was definitely a top 8 team nationally.

We have the occasional top 15 to 20 team that reaches the Sweet 16 or loses a competitive game in the 2nd round. Set aside the Alford and Lickliter years and the program is pretty consistent and predictable.

Thanks to the Big 10 Network we have more resources. We have upgraded the facilities. I think the young talent is trending upward. So it is my hope (and belief) that Fran has some 2nd weekend NCAA teams in his future at Iowa. And if he doesn't he certainly hasn't done anything to hurt the program. I'm hopeful and optimistic. But I'm also realistic.

One final thought from my glass is over half full perspective.

2016 – Lost to Villanova (National Champs)…2nd game
2015 – Lost to Gonzaga (Elite 8)…2nd game
2014 – Lost to Tennessee (Sweet 16)…1st game

We lost to a Sweet 16 team. Then we lost to an Elite 8 team. This year we lost to the National Champs. So while we haven't advanced to the Sweet 16 an optimist may say we're getting beat by higher quality opponents with each passing year.

lol you see buddy instead of complaining about i didn't look up the stats myself, read the thread lmao I already did this work in like 5 mins. Posted it like 6 hours ago :confused:

So you post ALL of ISU's post season appearances in their history and decide that is worthy to compare to Iowa's post season appearances since 1988? Perhaps I should have gone back and included some of the truly great Iowa teams as well (Since you posted the 1944 team). I posted valid comparison data using the start date (1987) that WindsorHawk originally used AND that YOU complained about.

Or did you forget this comment?
IF you are only going to bring up the last 2 years for Iowa state then why have stats from 1987 on there for Iowa ?

Would have been easy to include the times before Mr. Davis that Iowa made the NCAA tournament and did quite well.

Now go make it a good day!

Windsor ... not meaning to target or flame; you're as solid as it gets 'round here. Just that all this "unlucky" stuff that's been the basis of threads for the last month is really aggravating the lingering hangovers from really bad performances to close the season in both football and basketball.

Good grief, it's as if no matter how sucky or how good Iowa is, NOTHING is EVER within their control and everything will always be worse or tempered because they have the worse luck of any of the 340+ teams in D-1 basketball.

Windsor ... not meaning to target or flame; you're as solid as it gets 'round here. Just that all this "unlucky" stuff that's been the basis of threads for the last month is really aggravating the lingering hangovers from really bad performances to close the season in both football and basketball.

Good grief, it's as if no matter how sucky or how good Iowa is, NOTHING is EVER within their control and everything will always be worse or tempered because they have the worse luck of any of the 340+ teams in D-1 basketball.

Lol, FANaticism. You get this in sports, politics, and religion. Excuses, rationalizations, delusions. The bottom line is the bottom line but no one wants to read the fine print.

There are choices one can make, disavow the team, political party, or church. Most won't do that after all all three often reflect their half a$$ed lives. I know that sounds harsh but it is the truth.

Having said that, many will show loyalty to a fault and just hope for the best and roll with the punches. I am not sure what the right choice is in some circumstances.

My only true loyalty is to my family and friends and to my God, which doesn't always mean I kiss @$$ to any religious organization that I affiliate with. That's risky and has gotten a lot of people killed over centuries of time.

Right now I will just say...... Go Hawks!!!!

Like people said. We are usually playing a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round. Even if the Champion was always a 1 or 2 seed, which they're not, the odds should be 1 on 8 times we run into the eventual champion in the 2nd round.

So you post ALL of ISU's post season appearances in their history and decide that is worthy to compare to Iowa's post season appearances since 1988? Perhaps I should have gone back and included some of the truly great Iowa teams as well (Since you posted the 1944 team). I posted valid comparison data using the start date (1987) that WindsorHawk originally used AND that YOU complained about.

Or did you forget this comment?

Would have been easy to include the times before Mr. Davis that Iowa made the NCAA tournament and did quite well.

i only added 1 post season appearence that i was kidding about, there were only 8 teams in 1944 I know. So instead of saying ALL how bout you look to where I had 1. Go ahead an add ALL of iowa teams idc, but yoou did ignore the fact that you did the research after I literally just did it lol

People make the dumbest arguement ever. We should have been playing a 7 seed in Des Moines? If you're going to say we should have been a top 8 team, why not just say we "should have" been the number one overall seed?

Because that would be stupid. If they don't fall apart in the last month, they are a 2-3 seed in Des Moines. They collapsed. Their coach and players don't handle adversity well. That is why they were a 7 seed instead of a 2-3 in Des moines.

They controlled their own destiny and they dropped it.

Fran
2016 – Lost to Villanova (National Champs)…2nd game
2015 – Lost to Gonzaga (Elite 8)…2nd game
2014 – Lost to Tennessee (Sweet 16)…1st game

Alford
2006 – NW State…1st game
2005 – Cincinnati…1st game
2001 – Kentucky (Sweet 16)…2nd game

Davis
1999 – Connecticut (National Champs)…Sweet 16
1997 – Kentucky (National Runner-up…lost in OT)…2nd game
1996 – Arizona (Sweet 16)…2nd game
1993 – Wake Forest (Sweet 16)…2nd game
1992 – Duke (National Champs)…2nd game
1991 – Duke (National Champs)…2nd game
1989 – NC State (Sweet 16)…2nd game
1988 – Arizona (Final 4)…Sweet 16
1987 – UNLV (Final 4)…Elite 8

It feels like we get a tough draw every year and lose to the NCAA National Champions more than our fair share. So I went back as far as the Davis years. The National Champions do eliminate 6 teams (9.4% of the field) each year.

Stop choking in the last half of the season and Iowa's team will get a better draw. It's as simple as that.

No worries! Honestly...I'm not a big believer in luck. I think Iowa (and every other team) both welcomes and benefits from a good break now and then. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that at least half the teams in the field would have made the Sweet 16 playing Iowa State's 1st two opponents. But I also think drawing Temple was a good break...better than being a 6 seed playing Gonzaga.

So if our goal is making the Sweet 16 I would love to get Iowa State's draw. But I don't think they had a better tournament than we did because they made the Sweet 16 and we lost our 2nd game.

The Nationals Champs should be able to beat anyone. They are the best team. Nova made their own luck. They beat every team put in front of them. Iowa was a tough draw as a 7 (ranked in the top 5 at 1 point and in Kenpom's top 20 when the tournament started). Miami was a tough draw as a 3 (ranked in the top 10 at 1 point). And then they had to beat three teams that were ranked #1 at some point this season...Kansas, Oklahoma and North Carolina.

It feels like we get a tough draw every year and lose to the NCAA National Champions more than our fair share. So I went back as far as the Davis years. The National Champions do eliminate 6 teams (9.4% of the field) each year.

This has been brought up many times over the years. Drawing eventual National Champion Duke in the 2nd round in back to back years didn't feel right to most of the people I talked to at the time. So I did some checking because I was interested. Since I had the data in front of me I decided to share. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

As the discussion in this thread progressed I came to a very clear conclusion. We don't lose games we're supposed to win (with 1 exception)...based on seeding. And we don't win games we're supposed to lose...based on seeding. So if we have a really good team and the team has a really good season we will get a really good seed and make a really good run...IMO.

Latest posts