Iowa's Hoop Problems

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa is shooting just .303 from three in all games this year, but just .268 in Big Ten play. Illinois and Nebraska are actually shooting worse from three than is Iowa in Big Ten play.

During the out of conference, teams were zoning Iowa, given this deficiency from the outside. However now in Big Ten play, with Big Ten teams who have better players and on ball defenders, Iowa isn't seeing as much zone. Why? The double-whammy; they don't have players who can consistently beat opponents off the dribble, therefore teams can play what they prefer which is man to man. It's harder to rebound out of a zone when you don't play it all the time. Iowa is having to work harder to score in its half court sets.

This team will be better next year as I expect Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury to be a year smarter and stronger. Aaron White has not reached his peak yet and needs more offensive refinement and more core strength. Bring in Jarrod Uthoff (he is not the cavalry, BTW) and that is a good addition.

Peter Jok will be a very interesting wild card. If he can continue to get better on his drive game, re: if he can get his legs back to where they once were, he can be a huge help there and he will be a help in the three game.

Josh Oglesby is hitting just .288 from three on the year, and .261 in Big Ten play. Given that teams are playing man and don't have to offer sag help into the lane because Iowa can't dribble drive as a whole, he's not getting great looks. For all of McCaffery's glowing comments on how he shoots in practice (and I water down Franspeak to some degree as he speaks in hyperbole about his players, likely to let them know he is confident in them), it hasn't shown up in games on a consistent basis. I don't doubt that he is likely Iowa's best outside shooter, but he's having a bad year.

Like it or not, this program is still in a stage of development and is missing a few pieces. Uthoff and Jok will help next year, but the players they have are going to have to get better this off season for Iowa to make the kind of jump everyone hopes they can. There is talent, and this team will flirt with an NCAA bid this year, but the step next year is playing for seed, or needs to be.

Also next year, Iowa will go back to playing MSU, Michigan, Ohio State and Illinois 2x per year for a while.

Or they are hugely weak in the one area where being young actually really matters - going into hostile 17,000 seat arenas.

This is still the team that should have beat Indiana at home and should have beaten Michigan State without its best player.

Unless you completely outclass a team in talent with all freshmen (a la Kentucky) than youth is going to be served its greatest *** whooping on the road.

I would expect Mich and OSU to take steps back a little.

Mich should lose at least 1 of their underclassmen to the NBA, maybe both Burke and Hardaway.

OSU will lose Thomas...which currently is what makes their team go.

I expect the biggest change next year is we really should only get better even though I actually am going to miss May's consitency/leadership and most other teams have more to lose than us.

Or they are hugely weak in the one area where being young actually really matters - going into hostile 17,000 seat arenas.

This is still the team that should have beat Indiana at home and should have beaten Michigan State without its best player.

Unless you completely outclass a team in talent with all freshmen (a la Kentucky) than youth is going to be served its greatest *** whooping on the road.

I don't disagree, and Iowa's record of 13-6 and 2-4 are exactly what I predicted them to be at this juncture, back in October. Given their schedule the rest of the way, I think they have a chance of being 9-9 which is what I thought they could be. I am more thinking of where things are this year and what areas need to improve for next year so that Iowa is not a bubble watch team, and three point shooting is def one area.

Mich should lose at least 1 of their underclassmen to the NBA, maybe both Burke and Hardaway.

I expect the biggest change next year is we really should only get better even though I actually am going to miss May's consitency/leadership and most other teams have more to lose than us.

I agree that Burke goes after this year. He almost did last year. Not sure there is anything more for him at this level. Hardaway is gonna be a tweener again, but that may be what he is. Agree on Thomas. Minnesota loses Mbakwe and Williams to graduation but they will be a solid team. Indiana could lose Zeller, and will lose Watford and Hulls...I could see Oladipo giving the league a hard look, too.

Iowa loses the least, IMO, no disrespect to Eric May because I have a great deal of respect for him.

Also next year, Iowa will go back to playing MSU, Michigan, Ohio State and Illinois 2x per year for a while.

When do Maryland and Rutgers join? 2014-15, I wouldn't say we will be playing all those teams twice a year for a while when the conference schedules will all need to be redone after next season.

Bad shooting is what it is and its not going to change until Iowa gets better shooters/players.

One thing that can change now is these long horrible stretches Iowa seems to have in every game against solid teams in which they give up points on several possessions in a row and/or can't score for several possessions in a row. A lot of lazy foul crazy defense and offense that gives up on possessions with 12-15 seconds left on the shot clock and waits for MG or DM to bail them out with a one on one move.

The most recent example being the end of first half and beginning of the second half against OSU in which OSU went from 25-20 to 38-22. This team has to end these game killing lapses.

Iowa is shooting just .303 from three in all games this year, but just .268 in Big Ten play. Illinois and Nebraska are actually shooting worse from three than is Iowa in Big Ten play.

During the out of conference, teams were zoning Iowa, given this deficiency from the outside. However now in Big Ten play, with Big Ten teams who have better players and on ball defenders, Iowa isn't seeing as much zone. Why? The double-whammy; they don't have players who can consistently beat opponents off the dribble, therefore teams can play what they prefer which is man to man. It's harder to rebound out of a zone when you don't play it all the time. Iowa is having to work harder to score in its half court sets.

This team will be better next year as I expect Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury to be a year smarter and stronger. Aaron White has not reached his peak yet and needs more offensive refinement and more core strength. Bring in Jarrod Uthoff (he is not the cavalry, BTW) and that is a good addition.

Peter Jok will be a very interesting wild card. If he can continue to get better on his drive game, re: if he can get his legs back to where they once were, he can be a huge help there and he will be a help in the three game.

Josh Oglesby is hitting just .288 from three on the year, and .261 in Big Ten play. Given that teams are playing man and don't have to offer sag help into the lane because Iowa can't dribble drive as a whole, he's not getting great looks. For all of McCaffery's glowing comments on how he shoots in practice (and I water down Franspeak to some degree as he speaks in hyperbole about his players, likely to let them know he is confident in them), it hasn't shown up in games on a consistent basis. I don't doubt that he is likely Iowa's best outside shooter, but he's having a bad year.

Like it or not, this program is still in a stage of development and is missing a few pieces. Uthoff and Jok will help next year, but the players they have are going to have to get better this off season for Iowa to make the kind of jump everyone hopes they can. There is talent, and this team will flirt with an NCAA bid this year, but the step next year is playing for seed, or needs to be.

I don't really agree with this. Ogelsby refuses to shoot any sort of contested jumpers, the majority of his 3's have been very good looks. If there's any defender running at him, he pump fakes and takes a couple dribbles.

Given that OSU has a tendency to bring in high level recruits that can play big roles immediately, I would hesitate to say that they will take a step back.

If Burke leaves early, yes, Michigan will probably fall off a little. But their incoming class looks very strong too.

The shooting difficulties are frustrating because this team is capable of hanging with just about everyone in the conference, save for perhaps Michigan. The scoring droughts and spells of basketball dumbness Xerxes mentioned have been killers. Clean those up and this team is winning more games. The first half defense Iowa played against Wisconsin and the pressure against Ohio State in the second half were absolutely top rate. The team needs to play with that sort of intensity consistently, and not be afraid to take shots when the looks are there.

The worse thing they can do is start to hesitate and doubt it - ogelsby is one of the worse at this.

Just shoot the ball.

This made me laugh. There will just be new parts to insert into the machines; Michigan and OSU will always be tough.

I don't disagree, and Iowa's record of 13-6 and 2-4 are exactly what I predicted them to be at this juncture, back in October. Given their schedule the rest of the way, I think they have a chance of being 9-9 which is what I thought they could be. I am more thinking of where things are this year and what areas need to improve for next year so that Iowa is not a bubble watch team, and three point shooting is def one area.

This does not get mentioned enough, I think you should bring this up more often.

You are totally redeeming yourself from your 2010 football predictions.

This made me laugh. There will just be new parts to insert into the machines; Michigan and OSU will always be tough.

Michigan has made the NCAA's twice this century and hasn't made it past the second round since some of the Fab Five were still there. Let's stop lumping them in with OSU and acting like they've been a B10 power.

This does not get mentioned enough, I think you should bring this up more often.

You are totally redeeming yourself from your 2010 football predictions.

He only finds a way to work it into 3 of every 4 of his posts/columns. There is definitely room for improvement.

Regarding the 3pt shooting, confidence is one of the issues. Another issue is that the passing to set up the 3 point shot is often poor. Last night, Gus Johnson made a comment about Marble's shooting being off. That comment was made right after a shot by Marble where the delivery pass was at his feet. A pass like that makes it very tough on the shooter.

Michigan has made the NCAA's twice this century and hasn't made it past the second round since some of the Fab Five were still there. Let's stop lumping them in with OSU and acting like they've been a B10 power.
Things change quickly in basketball. Given their current roster, and what they've got coming in next year, then Kmajhawk's comment is not that far-fetched.

Latest posts