Iowa's historical position

FlaHawk1

On occasion, Iowa has a season of brilliance, leaving the faithfull hungry for more, and lamenting when it doesn't happen. I wanted to see how this compared to the rest of the NCAA during the span of the "modern" era of Hawkeye football 1979-2014. After researching the win-loss records of the NCAA during that time:

1979-2009 Iowa ranked 27th in win %, 5th in the Big

1979-2014 Iowa ranked 30th in win %, 5th in the Big

so, despite the last 5 years of mediocrity, our position in the big picture is pretty consistant.

Perspective-It appears that the long term Iowa product is only capable of a top 25 percentile result.
Not elite, not bad, just good enough to frustrate the hell out of us.

On occasion, Iowa has a season of brilliance, leaving the faithfull hungry for more, and lamenting when it doesn't happen. I wanted to see how this compared to the rest of the NCAA during the span of the "modern" era of Hawkeye football 1979-2014. After researching the win-loss records of the NCAA during that time:

1979-2009 Iowa ranked 27th in win %, 5th in the Big

1979-2014 Iowa ranked 30th in win %, 5th in the Big

so, despite the last 5 years of mediocrity, our position in the big picture is pretty consistant.

Perspective-It appears that the long term Iowa product is only capable of a top 25 percentile result.
Not elite, not bad, just good enough to frustrate the hell out of us.

Top quartile ? How many power five teams are there? Or are you thinking of a broader comparison?

The University has sure done a good job in building strong program. With the completion of the new facility I believe that they will take the next step forward! Watching Iowa over the last 3 decades has been great, but the next 3 wow, what a treat we will be in for. I get more and more pumped every day!

The top 25 percentile was in D1.
Yes, we do have a "good" program. There are many teams that wish they could achieve the results that IOWA has. I am also hope full that the new facilities can help them take the next step up. Go Hawks

While I've enjoyed the last 35 years of Hawkeye football and many teams would love to get 7 wins a year, like ISU. Our results leave me frustrated because of what we should be accomplishing. Playing not to lose gives us 1 or 2 losses a year that we shouldn't have. We were once ranked in the top 10 3 years in a row and we should have been able to keep that up. Instead complacency set in and now we're left wondering if we can get into the top 25 with an easy schedule. We are capable of so much more.

While I've enjoyed the last 35 years of Hawkeye football and many teams would love to get 7 wins a year, like ISU. Our results leave me frustrated because of what we should be accomplishing. Playing not to lose gives us 1 or 2 losses a year that we shouldn't have. We were once ranked in the top 10 3 years in a row and we should have been able to keep that up. Instead complacency set in and now we're left wondering if we can get into the top 25 with an easy schedule. We are capable of so much more.

+1

this is a strange measurement. what was the average from 2000-2004 compared to 2005-2009 compared to 2010-2014 ?

The focus for the research was not to see how we compared during times of brilliance, or slump, but, to see where we fell in the Big picture over time.

Think this through carefully and give me a well thought out answer. I am not trying to be argumentative. I want a real answer here and not just we did it for three years so we should be able to do it indefinitely.

What in our history makes you think we should have been able to maintane the results on that three year span on a consistent basis? Maybe it would be good to know what you meant when you said we should have been able to keep it up, in terms of a record over the next 15 years. Since 1950 we have had two hall of fame coaches and maybe one or two others before that. Were they able to do what you are suggesting we should have been able to do after that three year span?

Think this through carefully and give me a well thought out answer. I am not trying to be argumentative. I want a real answer here and not just we did it for three years so we should be able to do it indefinitely.

What in our history makes you think we should have been able to maintane the results on that three year span on a consistent basis? Maybe it would be good to know what you meant when you said we should have been able to keep it up, in terms of a record over the next 15 years. Since 1950 we have had two hall of fame coaches and maybe one or two others before that. Were they able to do what you are suggesting we should have been able to do after that three year span?

Maybe he meant that we should be able to have an occasional top 10 season because otherwise I agree with you. Course, we also had one in '09.

Obligatory KF contract, highest paid coach, huge buyout post.

No, no such finger was pointed. It was simply this is where our program stacked up against all others over the last 36 years. A time period including 3 ADs, and 2 head coaches.

Maybe. But my suspicion is he expected more than what you alluded to.

You're probably right. I think he believes that us playing not to lose causes an extra loss or two a year thus we should get 10 most of the time.

He's right in that us playing not to lose has cost us games (like the ISU game last year) but it's still a stretch that that would get us to 10 wins most often.

During the Fry Ferentz era (36 years) Iowa has won 258 games (143 by Fry and 115 by Ferentz). That is an average of 7.16 wins per year.

So, an average season for Iowa during that time is 7 wins.

Fry won at least 8 games in 11 of those seasons and 9 or more wins in 6 of those seasons.

Ferentz has won 8 or more games in 7 of 16 seasons and at least 9 wins in 5 of those seasons.

How about 10 win seasons? Fry had 3 of those in 20 seasons and Ferentz has had 4 in 16 seasons.

What does it all mean for the past 36 years? Iowa has won at least 8 games 50% of the time.
Iowa has won at least 9 games in 11 of 36 seasons (only 30%).
Iowa has won at least 10 games in 7 of 36 seasons (only 20%).

During the Fry Ferentz era (36 years) Iowa has won 258 games (143 by Fry and 115 by Ferentz). That is an average of 7.16 wins per year.

So, an average season for Iowa during that time is 7 wins.

Fry won at least 8 games in 11 of those seasons and 9 or more wins in 6 of those seasons.

Ferentz has won 8 or more games in 7 of 16 seasons and at least 9 wins in 5 of those seasons.

How about 10 win seasons? Fry had 3 of those in 20 seasons and Ferentz has had 4 in 16 seasons.

What does it all mean for the past 36 years? Iowa has won at least 8 games 50% of the time.
Iowa has won at least 9 games in 11 of 36 seasons (only 30%).
Iowa has won at least 10 games in 7 of 36 seasons (only 20%).

Hey chosen and all you stat mavens, how many seasons did Fry coach where there was a 12 game schedule?

to accurately assess these measures you need to reduce the averages to an equal number of games per season.

But to boil it down both KF and fry had some really good success.

I think Fry did not lose a lot of games he should have won which I cant say is true for KF (just a flaw in his coaching).

Another interesting stat would be to take all the head coaches that are in the same neighborhood as far as salary and compare their records with Kirk's. I have no idea how that would stack up. It may put KF in a good light or bad light and make you want to have a bud light. :)

Once you achieve a level of success and you have a stable coaching situation you expect your team to take the next step. Just because it hasn't happened in the past is no reason to think it can't happen in the future. What was Duke basketball before Coach K went there. He built the program and continued to build it until it became elite. When I was running restaurants and we had a good year the expectations were always to be better the next year. If we shouldn't expect it since we've never done it then why do we have so many fans down on the program right now.

Latest posts