Iowa's historical position

Once you achieve a level of success and you have a stable coaching situation you expect your team to take the next step. Just because it hasn't happened in the past is no reason to think it can't happen in the future. What was Duke basketball before Coach K went there. He built the program and continued to build it until it became elite. When I was running restaurants and we had a good year the expectations were always to be better the next year. If we shouldn't expect it since we've never done it then why do we have so many fans down on the program right now.

Yeah, except when Coach K has "crappy" years, he takes off for a "leave of absence"...

Hey chosen and all you stat mavens, how many seasons did Fry coach where there was a 12 game schedule?

to accurately assess these measures you need to reduce the averages to an equal number of games per season.

But to boil it down both KF and fry had some really good success.

I think Fry did not lose a lot of games he should have won which I cant say is true for KF (just a flaw in his coaching).

-------------------------------------

Kirks first year (1999) was the last year of the 11 game schedule. The 12th game is a non-conference game.

Hayden used to describe the non-conf this way, You want one creampuff, one team that you should beat, and one that gives you a good challenge. That hasn't changed much, except Kirk gets TWO creampuffs every year with the 12 game schedule.

Last edited:
-------------------------------------

Kirks first year (1999) was the last year of the 11 game schedule. The 12th game is a non-conference game.

Hayden used to describe the non-conf this way, You want one creampuff, one team that you should beat, and one that gives you a good challenge. That hasn't changed much, except Kirk gets TWO creampuffs every year with the 12 game schedule.

Creampuffs to Fry meant winning by over thirty points and playing all of the second and third string players half of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter. As compared to having the game still in question in the forth quarter with the starters still playing.

Hey chosen and all you stat mavens, how many seasons did Fry coach where there was a 12 game schedule?

to accurately assess these measures you need to reduce the averages to an equal number of games per season.

But to boil it down both KF and fry had some really good success.

I think Fry did not lose a lot of games he should have won which I cant say is true for KF (just a flaw in his coaching).

You are absolutely correct on both points:

1. Fry played 11 game schedules v. Kirk's 12 game schedules. It shows up in their overall winning percentage: Fry won 61% of his games, v. Ferentz winning about 57% of his games to date. Not a huge difference.....

2. Fry really cleaned up on the inferior teams, enjoying long winning streaks over 3 poor teams during his era: Wisconsin, Iowa St. and Northwestern. I attribute it to his attacking style and a TERRIFIC offensive coordinator for much of his era: Some guy named Snyder.

Ferentz's conservative style is much different.

1. Fry played 11 game schedules v. Kirk's 12 game schedules. It shows up in their overall winning percentage: Fry won 61% of his games, v. Ferentz winning about 57% of his games to date. Not a huge difference.....

2. Fry really cleaned up on the inferior teams, enjoying long winning streaks over 3 poor teams during his era: Wisconsin, Iowa St. and Northwestern. I attribute it to his attacking style and a TERRIFIC offensive coordinator for much of his era: Some guy named Snyder.

On point #2--who DIDN'T have long winning streaks over Northwestern?!

Creampuffs to Fry meant winning by over thirty points and playing all of the second and third string players half of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter. As compared to having the game still in question in the forth quarter with the starters still playing.

Yep. Teams like UNI, North Texas, Western Michigan, Tenn Tech, LA Monroe, etc would have fit that definition. One could debate whether the 12th game is always a true "creampuff". But it certainly wasn't a Power 5 team that's a tossup game. It was somebody would should beat by double digits.

Kirk has had more of those games via the 12 game slate than Hayden did. Hell, we play an FCS team every year now.

Imo, I think Hayden in his prime would have cleaned up the last 5 years. No way you can convince me, even with analytics/metrics, that he loses to a 2-10 ISU team at home, no bleepin way.

Go back even further, that '07 team wasn't great and they were playing a lot of young guys, but they lost to a baaad 3-9 ISU team and got beat at home to a 5-7 MAC team. Win those 2 games and they are 8-4, granted they would have got smoked by a SEC or Pac-12 team in a bowl game, point being Hayden would have gotten them to a bowl game.

As for Snyder there really isn't much to say he just has a brilliant football mind. He will find some thick lower body QB like Colin Klein to run his spread attack; who cares if he is completing 57% of his passes, when he is trucking dudes when he decides to keep the ball. Add a playmaker or two and there's your formula for winning 8 or 9 games in the offensive minded Big 12. At 150 years old, Snyder's ability to adapt to today's college football is amazing.

On occasion, Iowa has a season of brilliance, leaving the faithfull hungry for more, and lamenting when it doesn't happen. I wanted to see how this compared to the rest of the NCAA during the span of the "modern" era of Hawkeye football 1979-2014. After researching the win-loss records of the NCAA during that time:

1979-2009 Iowa ranked 27th in win %, 5th in the Big

1979-2014 Iowa ranked 30th in win %, 5th in the Big

so, despite the last 5 years of mediocrity, our position in the big picture is pretty consistant.

Perspective-It appears that the long term Iowa product is only capable of a top 25 percentile result.
Not elite, not bad, just good enough to frustrate the hell out of us.

YOu just summed it up. The first sentence said it all

enhanced-buzz-15793-1370453391-11.jpg

Jon, you can shut down the forum.

Latest posts