Iowa's Half Court Offense Is Absolutly Horrible!

MelroseHawkins

I am going to be brutal here.

What the hell are they running? It is horrendous. It has no flow or any kind of motion to create mismatches. This is an 11U youth 4 out "motion" offense which looks to be just spacing and random cutting with no purpose. My boy's 11U youth team can create more open looks or mismatches in their half court offense than this train wreck. It is just players randomly setting picks and cutting. It is just lazy coaching to be brutally honest. This is Div I NCAA basketball for krist sakes. Watch tape of Purdue if you need help. There is little ball reversal to create defensive switches/mismatches. When it is just so random, players have a difficult time blending their games and reading each other.

If Iowa doesn't get a break chance and stuck playing the half court for 20 seconds, it is just brutal.

Let me point out this is not on Speraw or Francis. This is systemic. Cripes, this is a veteran team so they should be able to play better even thought the head coach is out for the game. Also, McCaffery has been at the practices and only had to sit out the game, so he's had a chance to talk to the team about strategy.

Last edited:
Every player but Baer and Bohannon, and maybe Wieskamp, have lost all confidence in their shot. When they do shoot it, it looks like they shoot because they feel like they're supposed to shoot in that spot more so than looking like they want to shoot it. How many times last night did we see a player jack up a shot after a slight hesitation?

There is absolutely no purpose to it.

iowa runs a motion offense which means, to an extent, they take what the defense gives them. but if you don't have players that can win off the dribble, it is much easier for the defense to force you to stay perimeter oriented, eat the shot clock and not have a coordinated attack. the really good defensive teams force iowa to look that way.

i watched maybe 5 minutes of the game last night because i knew this was going to be the outcome. now, iowa could change things around and have a really nice BTT and NCAA run and that would bring me back on board. but this is my last chance with fran to fix the perimeter speed/quickness issue. if we continue to flop the rest of the season, then i don't care if fran returns next season. in fact, fran may opt out. Connor could easily just play baseball and Patrick could go wherever fran winds up. but, fran is likely to be back next season. we'll see.

there is still a lot of hoops left (potentially) and a turn around would put fran back into good graces with me. but perimeter speed/quickness musts be fixed next season. period.

Every player but Baer and Bohannon, and maybe Wieskamp, have lost all confidence in their shot. When they do shoot it, it looks like they shoot because they feel like they're supposed to shoot in that spot more so than looking like they want to shoot it. How many times last night did we see a player jack up a shot after a slight hesitation?
Soft

iowa runs a motion offense which means, to an extent, they take what the defense gives them. but if you don't have players that can win off the dribble, it is much easier for the defense to force you to stay perimeter oriented, eat the shot clock and not have a coordinated attack. the really good defensive teams force iowa to look that way.

i watched maybe 5 minutes of the game last night because i knew this was going to be the outcome. now, iowa could change things around and have a really nice BTT and NCAA run and that would bring me back on board. but this is my last chance with fran to fix the perimeter speed/quickness issue. if we continue to flop the rest of the season, then i don't care if fran returns next season. in fact, fran may opt out. Connor could easily just play baseball and Patrick could go wherever fran winds up. but, fran is likely to be back next season. we'll see.

there is still a lot of hoops left (potentially) and a turn around would put fran back into good graces with me. but perimeter speed/quickness musts be fixed next season. period.
It is what happens when you don't have a top shelf PG and try to beat teams that play defense. Stagnation, frustration, capitulation, defeat.

How many air balls did we see last night? Who does that this late in the season? What teams and players regress? Aren't teams supposed to be gelled and running like a well oiled machine at this point? Don't get it.

I am going to have to disagree just to a small point. The bold is not really what a "true" motion offense is. It may be what offense has morphed into over the years with the 3 pt shot and multiple players that now shoot it but it is not the old "true" motion offense. Now, what many are calling "motion offense" only because that is what you usually describe what you play against a man-to-man defense is now more about spacing of players, cutting and picking.

Now Purdue is one of a few teams that still runs what I can still call a "true" motion offense where players make specific motions or cuts after a pass, players rotating until a mismatch. They can also deviate at a certain point and run a set play off of it, such as pass to the L then reverse and two passes to the R than hit the play kind of deal.

After we crushed Michigan and looked like a really good team (what was that, about 4-5 weeks ago today? It was a Friday night game.) But since that win, he have just fallen apart and got lucky winning a couple of games on last second shots. It's almost mind boggling what has happened to this team. I just don't see this team winning another game this year.

I am going to have to disagree just to a small point. The bold is not really what a "true" motion offense is. It may be what offense has morphed into over the years with the 3 pt shot and multiple players that now shoot it but it is not the old "true" motion offense. Now, what many are calling "motion offense" only because that is what you usually describe what you play against a man-to-man defense is now more about spacing of players, cutting and picking.

Now Purdue is one of a few teams that still runs what I can still call a "true" motion offense where players make specific motions or cuts after a pass, players rotating until a mismatch. They can also deviate at a certain point an run a set play off of it, such as pass to the L then reverse and two passes to the R than hit the play kind of deal.

so maybe i would have been more accurate to boil it all down to iowa can't win off the dribble or with foot speed and that makes any offense a bad one because you can't force a mismatch on the perimeter. my point saying "motion offense" was that iowa is a perimeter oriented team, almost always, and that's fine if you can also win of the dribble to get to the middle. even with the 3 pnt shot, THE basic fundamental in hoops is get to the paint/rim on offense and defend the paint/rim on defense.

what has always baffled me is that iowa doesn't seem to follow the golden rule of basketball that if the ball is dribbled towards another player on offense, it's an automatic back door. when was the last time we saw that from iowa? yet, it happens TO iowa all the time.

so maybe i would have been more accurate to boil it all down to iowa can't win off the dribble or with foot speed and that makes any offense a bad one because you can't force a mismatch on the perimeter. my point saying "motion offense" was that iowa is a perimeter oriented team, almost always, and that's fine if you can also win of the dribble to get to the middle. even with the 3 pnt shot, THE basic fundamental in hoops is get to the paint/rim on offense and defend the paint/rim on defense.

what has always baffled me is that iowa doesn't seem to follow the golden rule of basketball that if the ball is dribbled towards another player on offense, it's an automatic back door. when was the last time we saw that from iowa? yet, it happens TO iowa all the time.

what has always baffled me is that iowa doesn't seem to follow the golden rule of basketball that if the ball is dribbled towards another player on offense, i
t's an automatic back door. when was the last time we saw that from iowa? yet, it happens TO iowa all the time.

I don't know if I would call Iowa a perimeter oriented team. Actually, Iowa has been recognized as one of a few teams incorporating two BIGS in the game at the same time. When Iowa was playing the best weeks ago, when beat Michigan, Cook and Garza were creating havoc and scoring on offense.

I am also not following the bold about the back door. To me, when you run a back door, is when the opposing player has gone out/perimeter to guard you tight, where you can smell his/her breath or state his Speed Stick scent, then back door to the basket. If you are not hitting outside shots, team will sag off until you do which takes away the back door option. I don't know the rule you express about dribbling towards your player who back doors.

Yes, I agree, Iowa gets beat bad at times and looks silly. I clearly remember both Garza and Connor getting hung out to dry bad last night.

Hawkeye offense: work the ball in to Cook or Garza. Offensive movement stops. Cook or Garza try to make a one-on-one move. It goes in slightly more than half the time, which is a low percentage for those kind of shots. If the shot clock is running down the guards put up a forced shot. Guards haven't gotten open looks since, oh, 2018, except maybe on in-bounds plays. Bohannon has saved us by miraculous shooting in the clutch. Wieskamp did it once, too. But those were emphatically NOT open looks they got. The only player getting open looks from three is Garza, and of course opposing teams are happy to let him shoot from there. I like Garza, but he shouldn't be shooting threes, EVER. Cook should never shoot from more than ten feet out, though I admit when he makes one from there it is a nice surprise. What's the problem here? Coaching.

Hawkeye offense: work the ball in to Cook or Garza. Offensive movement stops. Cook or Garza try to make a one-on-one move. It goes in slightly more than half the time, which is a low percentage for those kind of shots. If the shot clock is running down the guards put up a forced shot. Guards haven't gotten open looks since, oh, 2018, except maybe on in-bounds plays. Bohannon has saved us by miraculous shooting in the clutch. Wieskamp did it once, too. But those were emphatically NOT open looks they got. The only player getting open looks from three is Garza, and of course opposing teams are happy to let him shoot from there. I like Garza, but he shouldn't be shooting threes, EVER. Cook should never shoot from more than ten feet out, though I admit when he makes one from there it is a nice surprise. What's the problem here? Coaching.

Hey, I just came up with a game plan from Iowa. Every player get caught in a double-team in the corner or if on baseline and just throw the ball off the leg and out-of-bounds of the opposing player. Run set play and score.

Is this new news?

When Iowa is hot and shooting the ball everything flows and looks great.

When they don’t, then we have this.