Iowa’s Defense

WindsorHawk

At the end of last season a lot of posters on here...including me...said that if Iowa could just improve to average on defense they had enough offense to make the NCAA. I would say they improved to a little below average. And they will make the NCAA.

What about next year? Will we make the NCAA with defense comparable to this season? Do you think we will be better defensively? Why? Do you think we will be worse? Why?

I’m really interested in everyone’s opinion...and the reason for that opinion. I think they will improve marginally. I’m thinking we go from the 130 range to the 80 range and win a couple more conference games.

The current players should be just as good with a couple improving. Joe T., Nunge and possibly Patrick should provide some help. Losing Baer will hurt.

I was one of them that said if Iowa improved to an average defensive team then they would make the NCAA tournament.

The reason being that sophomores became juniors. Same thing next season: juniors become seniors.

Most games last season were no hustle games. That has been reduced to a handful this season .... but when it happens, it looks just like last season. Energy is much improved.

The zone defense, half-court, extended, and press has been effective. Another off-season of practice should only improve it.

Nunge should be able to replace Baer.
Pemsl will be our inside bruiser; Kreiner can be when he figures out to use his body and moves away from the soccer arm flailing.

I think the plus side defense gain will make up for the loss of Baer and Cook offensively

I'll have mildly higher expectations for this team next season. I don't demand things like sweet 16's - that really depends on match ups and anything can happen in a 1 team goes home scenario. But I am growing more in need of something tangible for the program. Something to hang your hat on. An accomplishment of some sort - like a S16, BTT or Conference Title. A 3 seed or higher? That'd be nice. There will be a lot of new pieces in the fold and a great core of upperclassmen to draw off of but my expectation is that next year is better than this year. Still TONS to play for this year though and I know that in the game of hoops - 1 week a team can look terrible and the next week not. It's up and down until you get to the dance. Even if you play all season up - it can end in a flash to a lesser team and even if you limp to the finish line, you can go on a tear and beat anyone on any given day. Lots of parity in a game like hoops. That's the beauty of the dance.

I'd like to see this next year:

1. Tyler Cook to move on to Europe. I've honestly had it with the hero ball, the live ball turnovers, and the multiple times on defense he just takes plays off.

2. Go to a 4 out 1 in alignment with Garza as the 1 in (gives him plenty of room to roam) and Nunge, Weiskamp, Moss, and Bohannon as the 4 out.

3. Commit to 100% zone.

4. Commit to 100% pressure defense....full court, half court, trap, etc.

I think Nunge will be our best defensive big next year and potentially our best defensive player.

If Cook departs and Nunge takes on the majority of those minutes at the 4 spot I think our defense will improve some. I don’t necessarily want Cook to go though.

I also think Joe T should be able to provide some solid perimeter defense we have lacked.

As I mentioned in another thread when you have Bohannon as your starting PG and Garza as your starting C you are very much behind the 8 ball at the two most important defensive positions. That likely being the case I don’t think are defense will be good or even average (I consider average top 60).

I like SpiderRico's thoughts. I would add that I think the best line-up would move WeisKamp to the 2 and start Patrick at the 3. I know Moss is a 2 year starter, but he is wildly inconsistent at the 2, and Weiskamp would not be. I think Patrick is a Day 1 starter, and 3 is the best fit, despite being skinny. Replace Cook with Nunge, and all of a sudden you have 3 guys that are long for their position and can play reasonably good D.

I like SpiderRico's thoughts. I would add that I think the best line-up would move WeisKamp to the 2 and start Patrick at the 3. I know Moss is a 2 year starter, but he is wildly inconsistent at the 2, and Weiskamp would not be. I think Patrick is a Day 1 starter, and 3 is the best fit, despite being skinny. Replace Cook with Nunge, and all of a sudden you have 3 guys that are long for their position and can play reasonably good D.

I really hope you're right and Patrick is one of our 5 best players next year.

I really hope you're right and Patrick is one of our 5 best players next year.
It’s possible. I think others have said Fran has stated he won’t be a RS next year. Most would agree plugging Wieskamp in right away was the right move. And Patrick is rated higher. But Joe’s body was more D1 ready IMO.

Currently Iowa is ranked 209 out of 353 in points per possession. Last season they were 308 out of 351 so there has been significant improvement.

The problem is they're still last in the B1G in that stat. Nobody is really all that close to them except for Illinois. So they approaching average nationally but compared to the rest of the B1G, they're not even close to below average.

Also, if we are committing to zone, I think Nunge should anchor the middle. Garza gets pushed around way too much. He is not great on the wing either, but at least he has long arms. Gotta put him somewhere....

It’s possible. I think others have said Fran has stated he won’t be a RS next year. Most would agree plugging Wieskamp in right away was the right move. And Patrick is rated higher. But Joe’s body was more D1 ready IMO.

Last year in high school, Wieskamp was considerably better than Patrick. But there are 2 reasons for optimism. One is it could have been a product of the team he was on. And two is Patrick has had a year to get better, and stat wise he certainly has. I'm not as concerned ab oi ot his size as most. Size in basketball is a big help, but its not a must. Besides that, some people are really strong compared to others of equal size. It's entirely possible Patrick is one of those kids who is way stronger than his size would indicate.

I’ve not read anywhere Fran saying he won’t redshirt. This is what Rob recently quoted him saying after Pat’s senior day at West.

Q. What do you see for him at the college level? Is he a guy that could come in and impact right away?

FRAN McCAFFERY: He clearly has the ability to do that. The only difficulty he'll have is how strong can he get, will he be physically ready. His game is clearly ready, but we'll see where he is physically.

Q. I mean, at 6'8" -- even in the Big Ten, his quickness, it's going to help him.

FRAN McCAFFERY: Yeah, exactly, and he'll continue to get better as he gets stronger, but he can shoot it, he can drive it, he can pass it, put it on the deck, he can block a shot. The physicality of this conference in particular is challenging for anybody. But for any freshman in particular -- if we can get him up to a decent weight, he'll be ready to go.

Also, if we are committing to zone, I think Nunge should anchor the middle. Garza gets pushed around way too much. He is not great on the wing either, but at least he has long arms. Gotta put him somewhere....
If you give up the baseline drive in a zone you are dead. He has to play in the middle unfortunately.

I'd like to see this next year:

1. Tyler Cook to move on to Europe. I've honestly had it with the hero ball, the live ball turnovers, and the multiple times on defense he just takes plays off.

2. Go to a 4 out 1 in alignment with Garza as the 1 in (gives him plenty of room to roam) and Nunge, Weiskamp, Moss, and Bohannon as the 4 out.

3. Commit to 100% zone.

4. Commit to 100% pressure defense....full court, half court, trap, etc.
giphy.gif

Who leaves the program? The Hawks need turnover. Moss cannot be counted on. TC seems to think defense is optional. Dailey, a bench player at best. Tousaint, Patrick, Pemsl, Nunge, and Frederick coming next year.

Who leaves the program? The Hawks need turnover. Moss cannot be counted on. TC seems to think defense is optional. Dailey, a bench player at best. Tousaint, Patrick, Pemsl, Nunge, and Frederick coming next year.
In order of most likely: Cook, Dailey, Kreiner (if Cook stays and sees a log jam, maybe he transfers to UNI or Drake), Moss (if he loses his starting job to the coach's son) Hard to see anyone else, but BB can be strange.

I have not seen much of Patrick playing this season, but what I have seen has in no way made me think he is ready to play in the Big Ten. I don't see a way he does not redshirt.

I’ve not read anywhere Fran saying he won’t redshirt. This is what Rob recently quoted him saying after Pat’s senior day at West.

Q. What do you see for him at the college level? Is he a guy that could come in and impact right away?

FRAN McCAFFERY: He clearly has the ability to do that. The only difficulty he'll have is how strong can he get, will he be physically ready. His game is clearly ready, but we'll see where he is physically.

Q. I mean, at 6'8" -- even in the Big Ten, his quickness, it's going to help him.

FRAN McCAFFERY: Yeah, exactly, and he'll continue to get better as he gets stronger, but he can shoot it, he can drive it, he can pass it, put it on the deck, he can block a shot. The physicality of this conference in particular is challenging for anybody. But for any freshman in particular -- if we can get him up to a decent weight, he'll be ready to go.
I was repeating what someone had told me. It may be that he will RS...not suggesting I’m in the know.

I was repeating what someone had told me. It may be that he will RS...not suggesting I’m in the know.
Yup. I wasn’t saying you're wrong, just recall seeing those quotes.

It sounds to me like Fran would like to get him out there if at all possible.

Right, wrong or whatever Iowa's offense fuels their defense. And I do not think that is changing.

How they guard the 3 point shot dictates everything defensively. And based on how this roster is currently constructed and what it will look like moving forward I do not think that is changing either.

Latest posts