Iowa's chances at Nationals

loesshillshawk

I watch them whenever I can...love the sport. You guys in the know what are Iowa's legitimate chances at repeating this year? Thanks for your input...

I think you'll see a lot of people on here who think Iowa has a decent shot but may not be the favorite. Brackets come out later today at 5:30 central. Once people have had a chance to dissect them, then you'll start seeing some in-depth predictions on how the tournament will play out.

I think we have a 1 in 3 shot.
I don't think OkSt has the intestinal fortitude on their team to compete.
It will be a 3 horse race with Cornell and PSU.
Boise has no shot with their injuries.

Cornell is the most loaded, followed by PSU and then us.

We have the best coach (duh)

That being said, I like how we performed (mostly) when it mattered last Sunday.

We need to do it again.

I believe we have the most qualified wrestlers and it will be super important to get points out of 165 and 197 and have everyone else do what they are capable of doing.

This could be another year where we win with no National Champions.

We need to do it again.

I believe we have the most qualified wrestlers and it will be super important to get points out of 165 and 197 and have everyone else do what they are capable of doing.

Did you mean points out of 184 instead of 197? I would be shocked if Lofthouse didn't score points and probably be an AA. Gambrall at 184 is the one we need to score points.

As far as 165 I agree it will be super important for Janssen to win at least 2 matches or maybe even 3, win his first match then maybe lose but come back and win at least 2 more on the consolation side before getting knocked out, I don't expect him to be an AA, but if we can get 2 to 6 points out of him that would be ideal.

We need to do it again.

Are you having doubts about Uncle Luke or did you maybe mean 184?

I'm still not sold on Cornell and PSU being able to come through in the clutch. I'd give Okie State a better shot despite the obvious talent the two leading contenders have. Iowa's not favored, but I keep thinking they'll overcome like they always do...hope I'm right.

Cornell and PSU have more high caliber wrestlers but I think we're a more solid team than either of them. I'm not counting any of our guys out for placing. If they do what they're capable of it'll be a great weekend. Can't wait to see the brackets.

If PSU or Cornell wrestle well, Iowa is in trouble. But if a couple of their big guns fail, Iowa will win.

I think you'll see a lot of people on here who think Iowa has a decent shot but may not be the favorite. Brackets come out later today at 5:30 central. Once people have had a chance to dissect them, then you'll start seeing some in-depth predictions on how the tournament will play out.

this will tell much more

PSU got pataky in so they now have 8. Cornell has 9, and despite some high seeds, I personally think they got a rough draw, and they'll have 2 unseeded guys out of the tournery very early. OSU got all 10 in.

Unless ISU got 6 wildcards from the WWE, I think those will be the 4 teams in contention for the team race

Cornell and PSU have more high caliber wrestlers but I think we're a more solid team than either of them. I'm not counting any of our guys out for placing. If they do what they're capable of it'll be a great weekend. Can't wait to see the brackets.

After looking at the brackets i think Iowa's chances took a MAJOR hit...

After looking at the brackets i think Iowa's chances took a MAJOR hit...

I don't, and I think I have this figured right. But looking at the draws and if the tournament plays out to seed (which it won't) Iowa has a very good chance of winning their 4th in a row. This is without any bonus points and figuring in anyone seeded 9th to 12th getting 4 points (first round win and 2 consolation wins). Also figuring in an extra 2 advancement points for Ramos and Gambrall for their pigtail matches as well:

1st place: 16 pts + 8 advancement pts = 24 pts
2nd place: 12 pts + 8 advancement pts = 20 pts
3rd place: 9 pts + 7 advancement pts = 16 pts
4th place: 7 pts + 7 advancement pts = 14 pts
5th place: 5 pts + 6 advancement pts = 11 pts
6th place: 3 pts + 6 advancement pts = 9 pts
7th place: 2 pts + 5 advancement pts = 7 pts
8th place: 1 pt + 5 advancement pts = 6 pts

Your team standings would look like this:
Penn St 89
Cornell 88
Iowa 83
Oklahoma St 80

ISU 28 (just had to throw that in)

Iowa will need help but I think they can win it. It will be very important that Iowa win the head to heads with any of these schools but especially if we see a Ramos/Long and St.John/Taylor quarterfinals, if Iowa wins both those it changes everything above.

Last edited:
Penn St 89
Cornell 88
Iowa 83
Oklahoma St 80
That's a tight race between the top 4...probably only a match or two throughout the course of the tournament wrestling above/below a seed to put any of these teams over the top or out of contention.

I went to the Big 12 tourney last weekend. I can't believe how far that confrence has fallen. The quality of wrestling is not good. I know Oky State got all 10 to nationals, but I would be suprised if they do better than 4th. Iowa must wrestle their best on Thursday or it will be all over. If they don't get hurt the first day they have a good chance. If I was a betting man, I would say PSU or Cornell would be the favorite with Iowa having a chance to sneek in. Go Hawks !!!!!

My prediction is PSU has three in the finals. As much as it kills me to say this
I'm saying it goes PSU, Iowa, Cornell, okie st.

1st place: 16 pts + 8 advancement pts = 24 pts
2nd place: 12 pts + 8 advancement pts = 20 pts
3rd place: 9 pts + 7 advancement pts = 16 pts
4th place: 7 pts + 7 advancement pts = 14 pts
5th place: 5 pts + 6 advancement pts = 11 pts
6th place: 3 pts + 6 advancement pts = 9 pts
7th place: 2 pts + 5 advancement pts = 7 pts
8th place: 1 pt + 5 advancement pts = 6 pts

Penn St 89
Cornell 88
Iowa 83
Oklahoma St 80

Not trying to stir it up, but in high school you get 2 points for advancing on the winners side and 1 pt for the losers side. In college you just get 2 and 1/2 respectively. This would change your totals a lot, albeit maybe the same amount for everyone. Just thought I would try to help.

Latest posts