Iowa's all-time best "Dunkers"

Nobody since Gerry Wright belongs in the conversation. Anyone who saw the cartwheel dunk is snickering at the nominations of Doug Thomas or Ricky Davis.

I watched the Thomas and Davis tapes with an open mind. And definitely came away snickering at Thomas. Some of y'all need to expand your horizons. Ricky Davis, pretty impressive, but we're talking about Hawkeye performances not NBA.

It's Gerry Wright by a large margin.

It is to bad YouTube did not exist back in those days so we can prove how Sir Jamalot earned his nickname. I have seen Thomas dunk, seen Ricky Davis dunk, both impressive, but nobody could dunk better than Gerry Wright.

Gerry Wright also had an incredible dunk his first season at Iowa (after transferring from USC) in a game at Ohio State - incredible take-off distance on the dunk (a la Dr. J).

Gerry was certainly a terrific dunker - too bad he was hurt part of his senior season (when the Hawks went to the Elite 8 under Mr. Davis).

It is to bad YouTube did not exist back in those days so we can prove how Sir Jamalot earned his nickname. I have seen Thomas dunk, seen Ricky Davis dunk, both impressive, but nobody could dunk better than Gerry Wright.

Actually the nickname "Sir Jamalot" was his radio DJ nickname. Before Iowa he was a student DJ at USC and the nickname came from that, although I'm sure it had a little to do with his b-ball style too.

Ricky Davis had a sick put back dunk @ madison, wisc player on bench went crazy. Someone please post it.

Anybody that is old enough to remember Gerry Wright (Sir Jamalot) knows that this is no contest. I remember a picture the Gazette had where he was slamming the ball and the upper half of his body was above the rim before he came down and dunked the ball.

Everyone saying Ricky Davis or Doug Thomas weren't old enough to remember Sir Jamalot. Hands down.....

This one isn't even close. Gerry Wright wins easily. He could absolutely fly and the cartwheel dunk was unbelievable. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone else do it.

I was at Iowa about this time, too, as I remember playing a pick up game against Bartels. I'm no superstar baller, but I did get going on a one on one fast break against him. I came to just under the hoop and gave him a big time pump fake...haha....I remember him flying through the air with the look on his face that all he wanted to do was feed me the ball. That was so much fun, pick up games with some of the players (I remember Val Barnes, Jepsen, Marble there quite a bit).

No team of this ability is complete without Wade "I will fool you with my fake pass" Lookingbill.

Mark Gannon and Andre Banks

Latest posts