IowaLaw's Third Quarter Report Card

IowaLawWasRight

This season has had its ups and downs. Anyone who critiqued the coaches a week ago was blasted, and anyone who praised them this week were equally blasted. Setting aside the single game knee jerk reactions, let's see how the Hawks are doing compared to their Big 10 peers:

Total Offense (12th): D-. We average just 332 yards per game, the same as last year. Only lowly Rutgers and Illinois have more inept, boring offenses. It wasn't supposed to be this way. We canned our struggling offensive coordinator and replaced him with the Golden Boy himself. The Hawks are loaded with one of the top 5 backs in Iowa football's history, and we snagged our first ever 2,000 yard rushing graduate transfer. Not only that, but we have a highly touted sophomore pro prospect at QB, two highly touted and capable TEs, and a 3 year starter at WR. Apparently, giving a moderately successful OL coach a huge raise and the keys to the car before he's ever called a play, and bringing back a coach who was run out of town 6 years ago for his offensive struggles is not a recipe for success in running an offense after all??? Too much randying around among the extremely high paid coaching staff.

Total Defense (9th): D. One thing you can usually count on at Iowa is a stout defense. It's crazy to think that the Big 10's 9th ranked defense contains the holy grail of talent: (i) a first team all American lock down corner...which used to be such a rarity at Iowa (remember the Adam Shada days); and (ii) a stud 1st team all American linebacker, the likes of which we have not had at Iowa since Chad Greenway roamed the field. Do talent rich schools like Alabama, Notre Dame, or Clemson have an all American corner and LB on their defenses? Not only that, but we actually have size and depth on the defensive line.

Rushing Offense (11th): F. Our rushing offense averages just 3.7 yards per carry?? Last year, Daniels averaged 5 yards per carry and Wadley averaged 6.4. In 2015, Canzeri averaged 5.4 yards per carry and Wadley averaged 6.0. So how on earth is Wadley averaging just 4.1 yards per carry this year? Baffling, and unacceptable. The talent is there. The OL still boasts our top two OL from last year. So what has changed? The play calling? Those god awful audibles to a run up the middle that equal 40 rushing attempts for 22 yards? Crying that our walk-on tackles are hurt is a bad excuse, as our recruiting should be light years better than to blame rushing woes on the injury of a walk on.

Rushing Defense (10th): D. We are allowing 157 yards per game. In 2015, we allowed just 120 yards per game. Those extra yards on each carry add up. How does this happen when we have the same 3 starting LBs for 3 years in a row have monstrous rushing defenses.

Passing Offense (8th): B. We are averaging 200 yards per game through the air. Expectations were low for pass offense. While Ferentz likes to offer up the "inexperienced" excuse a lot, Stanley is a physically developed kid who has been in the program for 3 years...which is the same amount of time that a majority of Power 5 conference starters have under their belts. We all know how bad our WR corp is, so landing in 8th place in the Big Ten is actually a bit higher than I might have expected, hence the B grade. The pass offense under CJ Beathard last year was 11th in the conference.

Passing Defense (9th): D-. This one is especially difficult to comprehend. We literally have one of the top 3 or 4 corner backs in all of college football, yet our pass defense is not even in the top 1/2 of our own conference? Where is the big hole in our secondary? I know we've had injuries, but who is the weak link bringing the pass defense down so far from where it should be given Josh Jackson's abilities?

Sacks (6th): B+. One of the only categories that the Hawks are actually better than average in the conference is sacks. Despite having a very inexperienced DL, and a very conservative approach to defense without many blitzes, this unit has been a pleasant surprise.

Sacks Against (5th): A- We give up 1.6 sacks per game. Last year we gave up 2.3. Pass protection is way improved over last year...so people who claim that the offense is so awful this year because of the OLine (rather than coaching) haven't been paying attention. Stanley isn't known for his escapeability, so for the line to only give up a sack and a half per game tells me that they are doing their job. I think they do their job in the run game as well, but defenses are keened on on the constant runs up the middle to a 190 lb back, and there's nowhere to go.

So there you have it. This is the kind of report card that would have got a lot of kids grounded.

Last edited:
Good review. On total offense though, I'm not sure I'd call Rutgers and IL inept and boring. Inept for sure. Iowa is mostly both. If you take out the aberrant OSU game, what are the rankings? What are the rankings minus NC games?

Pretty good review.

One correction, though- Stanley is a true soph, so this is his 2nd year in the program, not 3rd (as you said twice).

You didn't miss much. I'll sum it up real fast.

IowaLaw hates Iowa, therefore cherry-picks the stats that back him up. Everybody else wants to pile on and remove non-conference games and the OSU game from the stats to make it look even worse. In short: an abomination of ill-used statistics and ad-hoc letter grades from somebody who says the same thing all the time.

You didn't miss much. I'll sum it up real fast.

IowaLaw hates Iowa, therefore cherry-picks the stats that back him up. Everybody else wants to pile on and remove non-conference games and the OSU game from the stats to make it look even worse. In short: an abomination of ill-used statistics and ad-hoc letter grades from somebody who says the same thing all the time.

I'd say he's being nice with Passing grade of B.

Ignoring Scoring Defense statistics before giving a grade on the defense is teacher malpractice. They're 4th in the conference, just over 20 points a game. Cherry-picking facts to fit a narrative - hmm, never heard of that one before.

This team has the opportunity to go 8-4 against one of the top 10 schedules in the country. You can't give it a A, but you can't go much lower then a B

This team has the opportunity to go 8-4 against one of the top 10 schedules in the country. You can't give it a A, but you can't go much lower then a B

And just think. The Hawks are 6-4 as of today and could very easily be 9-1 if it weren't for our head guy who is the most borish conservative head coach in the P5 conferences.

Last edited:
A

And just think. The Hawks are 6-4 as of today and could very easily be 9-1 if it weren't for our head guy who is the most borish conservative head coach in the P5 conferences.

Your hypothetical argument lacks the data compete with reality. You didn't even name a possible coach to replace him with. Your logic fails to impress.

A

You ever watch a Wisconsin game? Talk about boring predictable run first football.
Rush.
Rush.
Rush/Pass.
Rinse&Repeat.
It’s as monotone and boring as their HC.
There’s no innovative flashy offense.

This season has had its ups and downs. Anyone who critiqued the coaches a week ago was blasted, and anyone who praised them this week were equally blasted. Setting aside the single game knee jerk reactions, let's see how the Hawks are doing compared to their Big 10 peers:

Total Offense (12th): D-. We average just 332 yards per game, the same as last year. Only lowly Rutgers and Illinois have more inept, boring offenses. It wasn't supposed to be this way. We canned our struggling offensive coordinator and replaced him with the Golden Boy himself. The Hawks are loaded with one of the top 5 backs in Iowa football's history, and we snagged our first ever 2,000 yard rushing graduate transfer. Not only that, but we have a highly touted sophomore pro prospect at QB, two highly touted and capable TEs, and a 3 year starter at WR. Apparently, giving a moderately successful OL coach a huge raise and the keys to the car before he's ever called a play, and bringing back a coach who was run out of town 6 years ago for his offensive struggles is not a recipe for success in running an offense after all??? Too much randying around among the extremely high paid coaching staff.

Total Defense (9th): D. One thing you can usually count on at Iowa is a stout defense. It's crazy to think that the Big 10's 9th ranked defense contains the holy grail of talent: (i) a first team all American lock down corner...which used to be such a rarity at Iowa (remember the Adam Shada days); and (ii) a stud 1st team all American linebacker, the likes of which we have not had at Iowa since Chad Greenway roamed the field. Do talent rich schools like Alabama, Notre Dame, or Clemson have an all American corner and LB on their defenses? Not only that, but we actually have size and depth on the defensive line.

Rushing Offense (11th): F. Our rushing offense averages just 3.7 yards per carry?? Last year, Daniels averaged 5 yards per carry and Wadley averaged 6.4. In 2015, Canzeri averaged 5.4 yards per carry and Wadley averaged 6.0. So how on earth is Wadley averaging just 4.1 yards per carry this year? Baffling, and unacceptable. The talent is there. The OL still boasts our top two OL from last year. So what has changed? The play calling? Those god awful audibles to a run up the middle that equal 40 rushing attempts for 22 yards? Crying that our walk-on tackles are hurt is a bad excuse, as our recruiting should be light years better than to blame rushing woes on the injury of a walk on.

Rushing Defense (10th): D. We are allowing 157 yards per game. In 2015, we allowed just 120 yards per game. Those extra yards on each carry add up. How does this happen when we have the same 3 starting LBs for 3 years in a row have monstrous rushing defenses.

Passing Offense (8th): B. We are averaging 200 yards per game through the air. Expectations were low for pass offense. While Ferentz likes to offer up the "inexperienced" excuse a lot, Stanley is a physically developed kid who has been in the program for 3 years...which is the same amount of time that a majority of Power 5 conference starters have under their belts. We all know how bad our WR corp is, so landing in 8th place in the Big Ten is actually a bit higher than I might have expected, hence the B grade. The pass offense under CJ Beathard last year was 11th in the conference.

Passing Defense (9th): D-. This one is especially difficult to comprehend. We literally have one of the top 3 or 4 corner backs in all of college football, yet our pass defense is not even in the top 1/2 of our own conference? Where is the big hole in our secondary? I know we've had injuries, but who is the weak link bringing the pass defense down so far from where it should be given Josh Jackson's abilities?

Sacks (6th): B+. One of the only categories that the Hawks are actually better than average in the conference is sacks. Despite having a very inexperienced DL, and a very conservative approach to defense without many blitzes, this unit has been a pleasant surprise.

Sacks Against (5th): A- We give up 1.6 sacks per game. Last year we gave up 2.3. Pass protection is way improved over last year...so people who claim that the offense is so awful this year because of the OLine (rather than coaching) haven't been paying attention. Stanley isn't known for his escapeability, so for the line to only give up a sack and a half per game tells me that they are doing their job. I think they do their job in the run game as well, but defenses are keened on on the constant runs up the middle to a 190 lb back, and there's nowhere to go.

So there you have it. This is the kind of report card that would have got a lot of kids grounded.

Your assessments aren't totally off base, but they aren't exactly right either. For instance, I think your grade regarding the rushing attack is correct. The yards per carry of our RB's isn't just below average, it's bad. I agree that the production is at the very least disappointing to unacceptable if you look at where the program should be as a whole. In regards to the 2017 season on it's own, it's explainable. You are severely discounting what it means to replace two starting tackles regardless of their status's as of 4 years ago. Most people that evaluate football would say that LT is the most important player on the OL followed closely by the C and then the RT. Replacing experienced bodies at the T positions that have spent multiple years in a college football strength and conditioning program with two inexperienced bodies that haven't spent multiple years in the same conditioning program is not going to result in merely a minor drop off of production. You also haven't factored in the young TE's which are an extension of the OL. Could/should the rushing attack be better? Considering how bad it is, there is an argument to be had that it could at least be a little better.

In regards to the defense, you are leaving out the most critical part of defense which is giving up points. On that end the Hawkeyes are in the top 20 in the country. Also consider the fact that among the 7 conference foes played, only Illinois and Wisconsin scored above their Big 10 season scoring averages against the Hawks defense. Since the defense forced 4 TO's, scored 2 TD's against the Badgers, and the offense gave up 7 points, I'll give them a pass.

You seem to also put a lot of emphasis on having an All American CB and LB and how that should equate to having a shutdown defense. Football isn't a strong link sport, it is a weak link sport as in you are as strong as your weakest links. Hooker has been a nice mid season addition at safety, but Miles Taylor really struggled and Gervase isn't exactly a high quality starter at the other safety position either. Snyder isn't exactly an All American, but he is a starting caliber safety and would be a huge addition to this group. I also thought that Jaleel Johnson would actually be the toughest player on the defense to replace for the 2017 squad and the drop-off at the DT spot this season is noticeable. And with all of that said, the defense in my opinion has performed well.

Last edited:
You ever watch a Wisconsin game? Talk about boring predictable run first football.
Rush.
Rush.
Rush/Pass.
Rinse&Repeat.
It’s as monotone and boring as their HC.
There’s no innovative flashy offense.
They didn’t even try to make any adjustments vs the 3/4. Old Kirk showed up on gameday.

If only Iowa had someone they could go out and hire that had ties to Iowa, maybe coached there before. Someone who’s won national coach of the year multiple times and has been a proven winner. Someone who understands the program and won a conference title or 2 before. A quality and qualified hire. That would solve all of our problems.

Oh wait that’s Kirk Ferentz

If only Iowa had someone they could go out and hire that had ties to Iowa, maybe coached there before. Someone who’s won national coach of the year multiple times and has been a proven winner. Someone who understands the program and won a conference title or 2 before. A quality and qualified hire. That would solve all of our problems.

Oh wait that’s Kirk Ferentz
2 Co-B1G championships in 2 decades
Whippee!!!

2 Co-B1G championships in 2 decades
Whippee!!!

Is that so bad? Only 5 other teams have more during the KF era and had they beat MSU in 2015 it would only be 2 teams (OSU with 6 and WI with 4, tied with MI, PSU at 3). In one of the toughest conferences to play with the likes of OSU, PSU and MI I would say getting two is not a ho-hum accomplishment. Could we have done more with another coach, possibly but I would say the chances are slim to none.

Scoring Defense?

Can't defend offensive production though. It's bad.

Last edited:
They didn’t even try to make any adjustments vs the 3/4. Old Kirk showed up on gameday.
Yeah. I know. You’re right.
That’s not my point.

My point is the KF haters who spew “boring, conservative football” of KF tripe and then gnash their teeth that Iowa isn’t Wisconsin when Wisconsin plays an even more boring, conservative, rush first offense than Iowa.

Is that so bad? Only 5 other teams have more during the KF era and had they beat MSU in 2015 it would only be 2 teams (OSU with 6 and WI with 4, tied with MI, PSU at 3). In one of the toughest conferences to play with the likes of OSU, PSU and MI I would say getting two is not a ho-hum accomplishment. Could we have done more with another coach, possibly but I would say the chances are slim to none.

It doesn't warrant the contract he has thats for sure. You act like he has won 2 national titles. The B1G sucks outside of maybe 4-5 teams. Longest tenured coach in FBS and he has produced 2 co championships in almost 20 years. WOW!