IowaLaw's Third Quarter Report Card

LOL!!!! well there you have it. A very "sophisticated" computer says that Iowa has a "great offense."

1. THE SCOREBOARD says otherwise (we managed just 10 pts against MSU, 10 pts Northwestern, 14 pts vs Wisc, and 17 points vs. lowly Minnesota).

2. THE EYES say otherwise (chosen, have you actually watched more than 1 game this year? We play a very bland, predictable brand of offense.)

3. THE STATISTICS say otherwise (we rank 115th out of 129 D1 schools in total offense, 12th in the Big 10. Are the 114 teams ranked higher than us also rated in the top 22 in your "sophisticated rankings?"). haha!

Don't let the facts fool you. Chosen found a sophisticated set of criteria to justify his opinion that we have a great offense and defense, so it must be so. I change all my grades to A+, as there is no improvement needed.

You really don't understand football at all. You pick the facts that suit your argument. I get it. Yes, I have watched every game, and have done so since 1961. It is about offensive efficiency, not yards per game. We run a ball control offense, and thus run fewer plays than many other teams. Study the ESPN and Massey Rating services. They analyze a team's offensive efficiency. Offensive efficiency is a well accepted way to analyze an offense. It certainly isn't sophisticated at all. Another way to say it is to analyze a team's points per possession or yards per play. Yards per game is totally misleading and meaningless.

You are often wrong, but never in doubt.

Iowa's not very good on offense, yet still have a 9 win season and top 25 finish on the table against a top 10 schedule in a transition year. First year OC and first year starting QB. The Iowa program has only won 9 games or more 14 times in the history of the program.

let that sink in.

14 times since 1899... 118 years. Iowa has won 9 games or more 14 times. 14.

14 times.

That's still on the table for this team. I am not saying it will happen. It likely won't - but it still could.

They are going to favored in their last 2. The Bowl game is a huge ? and Iowa hasn't fared well in bowls as of late.

But seriously - Iowa is 6-4 NOT 4-6 and still has a lot of football to play and meaningful football to play in the grand scheme of things from a record stand point at Iowa.

You didn't miss much. I'll sum it up real fast.

IowaLaw hates Iowa, therefore cherry-picks the stats that back him up. Everybody else wants to pile on and remove non-conference games and the OSU game from the stats to make it look even worse. In short: an abomination of ill-used statistics and ad-hoc letter grades from somebody who says the same thing all the time.

How would you grade this team?

This just in - ChosenChild found a sophisticated statistic that tells us that Brian Ferentz is actually a fantastic offensive coordinator. The stat was written by Brian's dad.

Iowa's not very good on offense, yet still have a 9 win season and top 25 finish on the table against a top 10 schedule in a transition year. First year OC and first year starting QB. The Iowa program has only won 9 games or more 14 times in the history of the program.

let that sink in.

14 times since 1899... 118 years. Iowa has won 9 games or more 14 times. 14.

14 times.

That's still on the table for this team. I am not saying it will happen. It likely won't - but it still could.

They are going to favored in their last 2. The Bowl game is a huge ? and Iowa hasn't fared well in bowls as of late.

But seriously - Iowa is 6-4 NOT 4-6 and still has a lot of football to play and meaningful football to play in the grand scheme of things from a record stand point at Iowa.

Since half of that time was 8 game or fewer seasons, you are half right. It went to 9+ games in 1947. So, since 1947 (70) years.
Even with the 17 straight lising seasons in there, that's 20% of the time.

A modest improvement to 25% would require 5 straight seasons of 9+ wins at a time where, honestly, only two teams in Iowa's division have a winning record in the Big Ten, you don't play Ohio St and Michigan in the same year, and you buy 3 wins a year (no, Iowa State shouldn't complete with Iowa, and we can't afford two good Div 1 teams in Iowa). So 6 games more, 5 of which are against poor performing Big Ten West opponents. It should be within reach.