Iowalaw's Midseason Report Card: Statistical Rankings

iowalaw

Banned
It is midseason and the statistics are black and white. After playing one of the weakest first half schedules in the history of the program, the statistics show that we are....below average. Key Big Ten statistical rankings include:

Scoring Offense - 11th. We average 27 pts per game. MSU, OSU, and Neb all average in the 40s.
Scoring Defense - 9th. We are giving up 22 pts per game. This D is not like years past.
Total Offense - 9th. Three years of Davis. Three years of a cellar dweller offense. Coincidence?
Total Defense - 7th. This used to be our strength under Norm. Now, we are very mediocre.
Rushing - 11th. Seriously? I thought this was Iowa? Big time OL. Lots of RB depth. A running team?
Passing - 7th. Jake's completion percentage is high; his yrds per attempt is like a jr. high qb.
Kick returns - 1st. Are you kidding me? Awesome news. Parker is the man.
Punt returns - 14th. This is embarrassing. Nothing but fair catches and watching punts roll.
3rd Down Conversions - 6th. Well, at least we are in the top half of the conference in something.
Red Zone Offense - 13th. A back breaking stat. Turned it over on downs 3 times inside the 20.
Red Zone Defense - 9th. Opponents have been inside the 20 17 times and scored 15.

All in all, it is not just the QB that is dragging this team down. While I'm sure having a 2 yrd pass offense doesn't do the running game any favors, the defense isn't tackling and we are not scoring in the redzone at all.

Last edited:
We convert a lot of 4th downs because we go for it when most coaches trust their kicker to put 3 points on the board. We have converted on more 4th downs than most teams have attempted. This has paid off in some regards, but has limited our field goals big time.

We are #1 in 4th downs converted at 10. Thanks Mark Weisman.

Quick, someone find stats for how much time the defense has been on the field compared to offense.

When was the last time we had a rushing offense ranked 11th in the conference? Seriously, how does that happen with a 3rd year starter running back and an all-American left tackle? This fact alone is unheard of in college sports.

When was the last time we had a rushing offense ranked 11th in the conference? Seriously, how does that happen with a 3rd year starter running back and an all-American left tackle? This fact alone is unheard of in college sports.

For all our vaunted rep as a strong rushing team, we have not been all that good running the ball the last 10 years. I think the only time we were near the top of the league was 2008 when Greene was all-world. It is a myth that Iowa is a great running team.

Uhhh helloooo, this is like opening up little dumb Johnny's report card when you know the little chip off the old block is a dunce. No thanks. Just let him keep skate boarding and hope he moves out soon.

Guys, Greg Davis is exceptional. Not only as an offensive coordinator, but as a human being. That's what's important in football, not scoring points.....

JFC, Kirk, get a clue man. You're really gonna let Greg Davis pull you down with him and let your stubbornness be the end of you? For cripes sakes man, quit hating offense and live a little.

It is midseason and the statistics are black and white. After playing one of the weakest first half schedules in the history of the program, the statistics show that we are....below average. Key Big Ten statistical rankings include:

Scoring Offense - 11th. We average 27 pts per game. MSU, OSU, and Neb all average in the 40s.
Scoring Defense - 9th. We are giving up 22 pts per game. This D is not like years past.
Total Offense - 9th. Three years of Davis. Three years of a cellar dweller offense. Coincidence?
Total Defense - 7th. This used to be our strength under Norm. Now, we are very mediocre.
Rushing - 11th. Seriously? I thought this was Iowa? Big time OL. Lots of RB depth. A running team?
Passing - 7th. Jake's completion percentage is high; his yrds per attempt is like a jr. high qb.
Kick returns - 1st. Are you kidding me? Awesome news. Parker is the man.
Punt returns - 14th. This is embarrassing. Nothing but fair catches and watching punts roll.
3rd Down Conversions - 6th. Well, at least we are in the top half of the conference in something.
Red Zone Offense - 13th. A back breaking stat. Turned it over on downs 3 times inside the 20.
Red Zone Defense - 9th. Opponents have been inside the 20 17 times and scored 15.

All in all, it is not just the QB that is dragging this team down. While I'm sure having a 2 yrd pass offense doesn't do the running game any favors, the defense isn't tackling and we are not scoring in the redzone at all.

Pretty scary considering these amazing stats were compiled against the weakest part of this season's schedule which many thought was already one of the easiest schedules the Hawks have had in years.

Watching other Big 10 RBs, QBs, WRs, and OLs this week makes me wonder what on earth the coaching staff has been doing on the recruiting front in the past 5 years? Each team out there has at least one higher quality RB than we do. Each team has at least one more athletic WR than our best WR. The qb play in the conference is all over the board, and by and large, worse than the QB play in the Pac 12, Big 12, and SEC. However, the qbs in our league are at least willing to throw the ball down the field. It is painful watching Neb, OSU, MSU, and others show how things are supposed to be done.