IowaLaw's 2018 Non-Conference Update

IowaLawWasRight

To those who have bee more focused on football this time of year, below is a little update. We are 11-2 (0-2 in the Big 10) and the non-conference portion is complete. No one would have guessed that the Hawks would have spent the past 6 weeks ranked in the Top 25, so the season has been a success thus far. Unfortunately, the Big 10 is the best conference in college basketball and the defense has started to show signs of 2017's non-existent self. Winning just 9 of the final 18 Big 10 games will almost assuredly land the Hawks in the big dance. So let's see how we got to this point:

1. Most Valuable Player - Tyler Cook. Without a doubt, Cook has been the heart and soul of this team. He's averaging 31 minutes per game, with 17 pts and 8 rebounds (slightly up from 15 pts 7 boards last year). He seems to improved his game a bit, especially when it comes to getting to the free throw line. Is he ready to declare for the NBA draft this time around? Probably not, unless they give bonus points for dunking ability. He still misses way too many open short range jumpers, but he's a terrific college player. Probably 2nd team all-Big 10 at this point. If he sticks around next year, the team will be loaded.

2. Top Newcomer - Joe Wieskamp. Joe is the highest rated recruit Fran has ever landed, and he's proving to be one of the top 5 freshmen in the Big 10. His 11 points and 5 boards are nearly identical the numbers Jess Settles put up his freshmen year (10 points and 5 boards) when he was named Big 10 freshmen of the year. I can see Wieskamp having a similar career (minus the back problems).

3. Hustle Award - Luka Garza. Garza is a Chris Street-esque hustle player. While his 13 points and 5 rebounds are not an improvement over last year (12 points and 6 rebounds), he definitely seems to be more of a leader out there. Garza gives us the much needed physicality to hold our own and not get randyed in the big and physical Big 10. We just need him to stay healthy, as there is little depth at his position.

4. Most Surprising - Conner McCaffery. McCaffery came in this year under the radar after playing in a few games last year and not making much of an impact. Recruiting services listed him as a 4 **** recruit (and an even better baseball player), making him one of the highest rated recruits in the McCaffery era. While he hasn't lived up to the mythical 4**** hype just yet, his toughness, 7 points and 3 assists per game have been huge on a team that even Gary Dolphin acknowledged has lacked a serviceable point guard for years. McCaffery will never have the quickness of an elite Big 10 point guard, but he can be a floor general that makes the headsy plays, takes charges, and protects the ball. His 12% shooting from behind the arc will need to improve.

5. Most Disappointing - Isaiah Moss. At the beginning of 2017, he averaged 18 points in the Cayman Islands Classic. He went on to score 32 points against Minnesota and thought highly enough of his game to declare for the NBA draft as a sophomore. After coming back this season, most fans expected him to step up his game and be a consistent scoring threat. Instead, he's averaging just 8 points and 2 assists per game. His 43% shooting is second to last on the team, which is not what you want from your "sharp shooter." If Moss could step up his game and score the 15 points per game that he's capable of, this team can make a run in the NCAA tournament. Without Moss, the team is limited to whatever Cook & Garza can do down low.

6. Most Underrated - Ryan Kriener. I have always liked Kriener's game. While he, more than anyone, could have benefited from a redshirt during his career, he makes the most of his limited playing time with a sweet touch from outside and a solid rebounding presence. He's only getting 11 minutes per game (despite two other big guys redshirting and a 3rd with an injury), but still tallying 4 points and 3 rebounds per game, while being tied for the team lead in blocked shots.

7. Most Stanley-esque - Jordan Bohannon. J-Bo is having a decent season. He's quiet, works hard, stays out of trouble, and does all of the things that a coach likes. Like Nate Stanley, his 10 points and 3 assists on the stat sheet are a bit misleading. In blow out wins against inferior opponents, Bohannon seems to shoot lights out, padding his stats with 17 points against Bryant and 18 points in a 50 point win against Savannah State. In crunch time, against top opponents, he has tensed up this year and can't seem to find his shot. He shot 39% as a freshmen, 42% as a sophomore, he's hitting just 35% this year. Even his free throw percentage has declined. There aren't any more cupcakes on the schedule, so Bohannon is going to have to figure things out and get back on track.

8. 6th Man of the Year - Nicholas Baer. Who else but the 2017 Big 10 Sixth Man of the Year. Baer is sneaky good. Quietly coming off the bench and hitting big 3s at a time when the Hawks need it the most. Stealing the ball with his long, gangly arms. His 1.2 steals per game leads the Hawks by a long shot, and his 4.7 rebounds per game ranks him 3rd on the team.

I didn't hate this Iowalaw ...which I totally expected to do when I clicked on it. Nice work. You have way more objective views of the hoops team than football....which IMO is not nearly the program or level the FB is.

This is way better than your football ones. A little on the optimistic side but still some solid points.

Anyone know what Cook's shooting percentage is from dunks this year? I'm guessing around 60% man he's missed a lot of them this year.

This is way better than your football ones. A little on the optimistic side but still some solid points.
Give him time.

He's as obvious as Fran's weaknesses and as vanilla as Ferentz's offense.

To those who have bee more focused on football this time of year, below is a little update. We are 11-2 (0-2 in the Big 10) and the non-conference portion is complete. No one would have guessed that the Hawks would have spent the past 6 weeks ranked in the Top 25, so the season has been a success thus far. Unfortunately, the Big 10 is the best conference in college basketball and the defense has started to show signs of 2017's non-existent self. Winning just 9 of the final 18 Big 10 games will almost assuredly land the Hawks in the big dance. So let's see how we got to this point:

1. Most Valuable Player - Tyler Cook. Without a doubt, Cook has been the heart and soul of this team. He's averaging 31 minutes per game, with 17 pts and 8 rebounds (slightly up from 15 pts 7 boards last year). He seems to improved his game a bit, especially when it comes to getting to the free throw line. Is he ready to declare for the NBA draft this time around? Probably not, unless they give bonus points for dunking ability. He still misses way too many open short range jumpers, but he's a terrific college player. Probably 2nd team all-Big 10 at this point. If he sticks around next year, the team will be loaded.

2. Top Newcomer - Joe Wieskamp. Joe is the highest rated recruit Fran has ever landed, and he's proving to be one of the top 5 freshmen in the Big 10. His 11 points and 5 boards are nearly identical the numbers Jess Settles put up his freshmen year (10 points and 5 boards) when he was named Big 10 freshmen of the year. I can see Wieskamp having a similar career (minus the back problems).

3. Hustle Award - Luka Garza. Garza is a Chris Street-esque hustle player. While his 13 points and 5 rebounds are not an improvement over last year (12 points and 6 rebounds), he definitely seems to be more of a leader out there. Garza gives us the much needed physicality to hold our own and not get randyed in the big and physical Big 10. We just need him to stay healthy, as there is little depth at his position.

4. Most Surprising - Conner McCaffery. McCaffery came in this year under the radar after playing in a few games last year and not making much of an impact. Recruiting services listed him as a 4 **** recruit (and an even better baseball player), making him one of the highest rated recruits in the McCaffery era. While he hasn't lived up to the mythical 4**** hype just yet, his toughness, 7 points and 3 assists per game have been huge on a team that even Gary Dolphin acknowledged has lacked a serviceable point guard for years. McCaffery will never have the quickness of an elite Big 10 point guard, but he can be a floor general that makes the headsy plays, takes charges, and protects the ball. His 12% shooting from behind the arc will need to improve.

5. Most Disappointing - Isaiah Moss. At the beginning of 2017, he averaged 18 points in the Cayman Islands Classic. He went on to score 32 points against Minnesota and thought highly enough of his game to declare for the NBA draft as a sophomore. After coming back this season, most fans expected him to step up his game and be a consistent scoring threat. Instead, he's averaging just 8 points and 2 assists per game. His 43% shooting is second to last on the team, which is not what you want from your "sharp shooter." If Moss could step up his game and score the 15 points per game that he's capable of, this team can make a run in the NCAA tournament. Without Moss, the team is limited to whatever Cook & Garza can do down low.

6. Most Underrated - Ryan Kriener. I have always liked Kriener's game. While he, more than anyone, could have benefited from a redshirt during his career, he makes the most of his limited playing time with a sweet touch from outside and a solid rebounding presence. He's only getting 11 minutes per game (despite two other big guys redshirting and a 3rd with an injury), but still tallying 4 points and 3 rebounds per game, while being tied for the team lead in blocked shots.

7. Most Stanley-esque - Jordan Bohannon. J-Bo is having a decent season. He's quiet, works hard, stays out of trouble, and does all of the things that a coach likes. Like Nate Stanley, his 10 points and 3 assists on the stat sheet are a bit misleading. In blow out wins against inferior opponents, Bohannon seems to shoot lights out, padding his stats with 17 points against Bryant and 18 points in a 50 point win against Savannah State. In crunch time, against top opponents, he has tensed up this year and can't seem to find his shot. He shot 39% as a freshmen, 42% as a sophomore, he's hitting just 35% this year. Even his free throw percentage has declined. There aren't any more cupcakes on the schedule, so Bohannon is going to have to figure things out and get back on track.

8. 6th Man of the Year - Nicholas Baer. Who else but the 2017 Big 10 Sixth Man of the Year. Baer is sneaky good. Quietly coming off the bench and hitting big 3s at a time when the Hawks need it the most. Stealing the ball with his long, gangly arms. His 1.2 steals per game leads the Hawks by a long shot, and his 4.7 rebounds per game ranks him 3rd on the team.
I'd go with Dailey as most disappointing. Moss has showed a more well rounded game since the Iowa State game and even flashes of cerebral play. Of course, the conference season lies ahead.

Dailey, on the other hand, has been given every opportunity to earn more minutes and, if anything, is regressing. His frame is built to be a B1G lever slasher and defender. His desire to do so is occasionally more YMCA level.

Kriener as most underrated is an eyebrow raiser. You mention yourself that, even with two bigs redshirting and a third battling injuries, he is getting only eleven minutes a night. What does that tell you? Even Riley Till is off the bench before Kriener on occasion. Kriener is both turnover and foul prone. He may never amount to more than a mid-major level player trying to navigate B1G waters. He can't even play Baer's role at the present time.

Just had to point out those two examples. The rest looks pretty solid. And Moss now has to bring it nightly in conference play. It's only a matter of time before Cook gets double and triple teamed, the way Greg Stokes once did.

I'd go with Dailey as most disappointing. Moss has showed a more well rounded game since the Iowa State game and even flashes of cerebral play. Of course, the conference season lies ahead.

Dailey, on the other hand, has been given every opportunity to earn more minutes and, if anything, is regressing. His frame is built to be a B1G lever slasher and defender. His desire to do so is occasionally more YMCA level.

Kriener as most underrated is an eyebrow raiser. You mention yourself that, even with two bigs redshirting and a third battling injuries, he is getting only eleven minutes a night. What does that tell you? Even Riley Till is off the bench before Kriener on occasion. Kriener is both turnover and foul prone. He may never amount to more than a mid-major level player trying to navigate B1G waters. He can't even play Baer's role at the present time.

Just had to point out those two examples. The rest looks pretty solid. And Moss now has to bring it nightly in conference play. It's only a matter of time before Cook gets double and triple teamed, the way Greg Stokes once did.

Dailey may have already peaked, what we have seen may be the best Iowa will get from him.. Hope, I am wrong.

Can we give Moss and Dailey co-disappointing? Moss might be the most frustrating player I can recall since Glen Worley. He flashes what he can do, but can’t quite break through. He has overall played better since the ISU game though, so I guess Dailey would get the nod from me.

Dailey may have already peaked, what we have seen may be the best Iowa will get from him.. Hope, I am wrong.

Dailey's value is playing defense. He was directly responsible for the comeback win against Pitt.....

I really do not like him attempting threes, at all.....

Not exactly a deadly sniper

upload_2018-12-31_17-29-22.jpeg

:cool:

A Dom Uhl type progression? Possibly. I hope you're wrong as well but I posted in late October or early November that I felt he was poised for a breakthrough. Other posters were more apprehensive, and so far the other posters have been correct.

I'm going to compare Kriener to a little known hawk that 40 and older fans will remember-Brig Tubbs. He was 6'8-6'9 with a wingspan greater than his height. Davis was always trying to shoehorn him into the rotation, even started him on occasion, but he would quickly prove to be foul prone and overmatched the minute he was put into the game.

Tubbs would have flourished at Northern Iowa or Drake but his overall skill set was a notch or two short of B1G competition. I think, and I could be wrong, that Davis liked him so much because he killed it in practice. Basketball is littered with those type of players and they are valuable to have-as practice players. In 1989-1990 the season crashed and burned when Brian Garner and Ray Thompson were declared academically ineligible and Acie Earl came very close to being dismissed from the team. That was Tubbs' opportunity to show what he had. The fact that he didn't spoke volumes. Jay Webb (another forgotten Hawkeye) and Chris Street quickly closed off any rotation minutes he could have played. Kriener, once conference play begins, may meet a similiar fate.

1 - Yep
2 - Yep
3 - Can't pick between Garza, Wieskamp and Conner
4 - Pemsl playing against ISU
5 - Dailey...expected double figure scoring
6 - Conner
7 - Yep
8 - Can't pick between Baer and Conner

Northside and tanaros - I hear what you're saying about Dailey, but to award him the "most disappointing" would mean that I had any expectations for the guy in the first place. Gary Dolphin was right when he asked why mediocre teams on the east coast can recruit 3 quick, slasher guards who can dribble, while all Fran can come up with is a guy like Dailey, who either dribbles with his head down into double coverage or air balls a 3. But it's Fran's fault for playing him like it was Licklighter's fault for playing his son. The guy was a serious fall-back recruit after Fran missed on every point guard he went after. He's a shooting guard who shoots 32% from the field and 22% from 3. If that warrants a full ride college scholarship, then half the guys on this board should get one as well.

You disagree that Kreiner is underrated? Clearly you equate playing time to ability by saying that Kreiner must not be good because he only averages 11 minutes per game. That's false logic and believing that coaches never make mistakes. It's like saying Raestatter is a great punter because he kicked 100% of Iowa's punts or Amani Jones is the worst LB on the team because he never played a down at LB right after racking up 11 tackles in one game in the middle of the season. Fran may not appreciate Kreiner's skill set (he actually plays Dailey 3 more minutes per game than Kreiner), but under another coach, Kreiner would shine. He leads the team in shooting percentage, in part due to an unblockable 6'11 hook shot. He averages more points per minute than Bohannan, Moss or Baer, and averages more rebounds per minute than anyone on the team except Cook. I'd say the kid should get more playing time.

Northside and tanaros - I hear what you're saying about Dailey, but to award him the "most disappointing" would mean that I had any expectations for the guy in the first place. Gary Dolphin was right when he asked why mediocre teams on the east coast can recruit 3 quick, slasher guards who can dribble, while all Fran can come up with is a guy like Dailey, who either dribbles with his head down into double coverage or air balls a 3. But it's Fran's fault for playing him like it was Licklighter's fault for playing his son. The guy was a serious fall-back recruit after Fran missed on every point guard he went after. He's a shooting guard who shoots 32% from the field and 22% from 3. If that warrants a full ride college scholarship, then half the guys on this board should get one as well.

You disagree that Kreiner is underrated? Clearly you equate playing time to ability by saying that Kreiner must not be good because he only averages 11 minutes per game. That's false logic and believing that coaches never make mistakes. It's like saying Raestatter is a great punter because he kicked 100% of Iowa's punts or Amani Jones is the worst LB on the team because he never played a down at LB right after racking up 11 tackles in one game in the middle of the season. Fran may not appreciate Kreiner's skill set (he actually plays Dailey 3 more minutes per game than Kreiner), but under another coach, Kreiner would shine. He leads the team in shooting percentage, in part due to an unblockable 6'11 hook shot. He averages more points per minute than Bohannan, Moss or Baer, and averages more rebounds per minute than anyone on the team except Cook. I'd say the kid should get more playing time.
Fair points. We used to have a saying when I used to work in video post production for cable advertising. When the sales people were asking if a commercial was done, and it was being held up by the arrival of the audio track or the extra footage we needed, we would tell them we can't edit what we don't have. This applies in Dailey's situation somewhat. You can't be disappointing if you've never been good. Right now last year's Colorado game may end up being his finest hour.

Kriener is intriguing, and much needed. One big is redshirting, another will be a medical redshirt, and another probably won't be 100% all year. If he can't get more than eleven minutes with those three out of the picture, if Fran has to give Riley Till important minutes, he never will get more than eleven minutes. He logged a total of three minutes against Bryant, while Cook was forced to play the full forty. That can't happen.

Kriener oozes potential, and his production per minute supports this. Now he must reduce the turnovers and fouls. That's what's holding back his minutes.

He's a junior with a great opportunity. Time to put on his big boy pants. I mentioned Nate Reuvers and Amir Coffey in another thread. It's time for Kriener to take the next step as well.

Northside and tanaros - Dailey...it's Fran's fault for playing him.

You disagree that Kreiner is underrated?
Serious question...Who should be playing ahead of Dailey with the current rotation? I'm not arguing your opinion on Dailey. It's your opinion. I'm questioning the comment that he shouldn't be playing at all.

I'm also not arguing your opinion on Kreiner. Again it's your opinion and you have a right to it. But I will point out that he had 3 turnovers his first couple of minutes in the game.

Comparing Kreiner's minutes to Dailey makes little sense. They don't play the same position or have the same skill set. There's no way Kreiner can guard the opponent's 1, 2 or 3.

Northside - they often say that IowaLaw was right, and I tend to agree. It's no coincidence that no sooner did IowaLaw speak out and demand more playing time for Ryan Kriener, Iowa's most underrated player, that he's suddenly thrust into the starting lineup for the first time in his 70 game career at Iowa.

Kriener did not let Hawk fans down. He started the game off by drilling a 3 pointer, then minutes later swished a hook shot. He finished the game with 14 points and 3 blocked shots. Not bad for a kid only averaging 11 minutes per game. It sounds like Fran has finally seen the light, and perhaps fans will realize that just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't deserving of playing time (and just because a kid DOES play (i.e. Dailey) doesn't mean he deserves it either). Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. They have favorites, they lose track of guys, or they are simply too close to the situation sometimes.

[QUOTE="Northside Hawk, post: 1793852,

Northside - they often say that IowaLaw was right, and I tend to agree. It's no coincidence that no sooner did IowaLaw speak out and demand more playing time for Ryan Kriener, Iowa's most underrated player, that he's suddenly thrust into the starting lineup for the first time in his 70 game career at Iowa.

Kriener did not let Hawk fans down. He started the game off by drilling a 3 pointer, then minutes later swished a hook shot. He finished the game with 14 points and 3 blocked shots. Not bad for a kid only averaging 11 minutes per game. It sounds like Fran has finally seen the light, and perhaps fans will realize that just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't deserving of playing time (and just because a kid DOES play (i.e. Dailey) doesn't mean he deserves it either). Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. They have favorites, they lose track of guys, or they are simply too close to the situation sometimes.
Kriener had a good game and kudos to him for that. Other than that what you say has no relevance. Also no mention of Garza’s injury in your storytelling.

Nebraska is extremely limited in the frontcourt so this was a good matchup for RK. Heck Garza scored 8 points in only 10 minutes playing on a bum ankle.

RK was painfully bad with more minutes against Purdue (as was our whole team). He threw in some garbage time scores late in the 2H to get to 10 points but he had 4 turnovers and was getting abused inside.

RK is what he is. A reserve big man who can be used to spell Garza at the center for about 10-12 minutes a game. He’s extremely limited in foot speed which often leads to foul issues and also means he can’t be paired with Garza in the frontcourt. He turns the ball over at far to high of a clip as well. There is no way he should be taking minutes from Baer, Garza, Cook, or Weiskamp when everyone is healthy and I don’t think he will.

[QUOTE="Northside Hawk, post: 1793852,

I agree Kriener has played good when in there. I think that Savannah st game against all those 6'3 and under guys was just a terrible matchup for him I get why he didn't play a ton there. But now that Garza is back I hope they both play a lot. I could see Kreiner and Gaza out there at the same time when Cook rests. Kriener is an absolute Godsend in that with Pemsl out Garza having been nicked up and Nunge red shirting all of a sudden our depth is down to just him unless we go small.

I agree Kriener has played good when in there. I think that Savannah st game against all those 6'3 and under guys was just a terrible matchup for him I get why he didn't play a ton there. But now that Garza is back I hope they both play a lot. I could see Kreiner and Gaza out there at the same time when Cook rests. Kriener is an absolute Godsend in that with Pemsl out Garza having been nicked up and Nunge red shirting all of a sudden our depth is down to just him unless we go small.
Imo you can’t pair Garza and Kriener in the frontcourt together due to the lack of footspeed. Fran tried it for a moment last night but Garza instantly picked up a blocking foul trying to slide his feet on the perimeter. You’d be asking one of the two to defend the corner in the zone, or defend an opponents 4 man, more times than not that’s a tough ask for either of those guys.

Latest posts