IowaLaw's 2018 Non-Conference Update

Imo you can’t pair Garza and Kriener in the frontcourt together due to the lack of footspeed. Fran tried it for a moment last night but Garza instantly picked up a blocking foul trying to slide his feet on the perimeter. You’d be asking one of the two to defend the corner in the zone, or defend an opponents 4 man, more times than not that’s a tough ask for either of those guys.
True it really is tough in that way. And I'm not suggesting to do it for long stretches really either. But if we play zone while they are out there it's not terrible. There's some teams that won't work against more than others matchup wise too.

Imo you can’t pair Garza and Kriener in the frontcourt together due to the lack of footspeed. Fran tried it for a moment last night but Garza instantly picked up a blocking foul trying to slide his feet on the perimeter. You’d be asking one of the two to defend the corner in the zone, or defend an opponents 4 man, more times than not that’s a tough ask for either of those guys.
My comment in the game thread when I saw those two in there at the same time was "Hail Mary, full of grace."

Northside - they often say that IowaLaw was right, and I tend to agree. It's no coincidence that no sooner did IowaLaw speak out and demand more playing time for Ryan Kriener, Iowa's most underrated player, that he's suddenly thrust into the starting lineup for the first time in his 70 game career at Iowa.

Kriener did not let Hawk fans down. He started the game off by drilling a 3 pointer, then minutes later swished a hook shot. He finished the game with 14 points and 3 blocked shots. Not bad for a kid only averaging 11 minutes per game. It sounds like Fran has finally seen the light, and perhaps fans will realize that just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't deserving of playing time (and just because a kid DOES play (i.e. Dailey) doesn't mean he deserves it either). Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. They have favorites, they lose track of guys, or they are simply too close to the situation sometimes.

[QUOTE="Northside Hawk, post: 1793852,

Kriener as most underrated is an eyebrow raiser. You mention yourself that, even with two bigs redshirting and a third battling injuries, he is getting only eleven minutes a night. What does that tell you? Even Riley Till is off the bench before Kriener on occasion. Kriener is both turnover and foul prone. He may never amount to more than a mid-major level player trying to navigate B1G waters. He can't even play Baer's role at the present time.
Kriener had a nice game, especially on offense. The key stat was zero turnovers. The other key was getting his confidence going by hitting his first shot, and a three pointer no less.

We're going to to need all available hands on deck, at least until Garza is 100%. If Kriener can give us the solid 15-20 minutes hes capable of on a more consistent basis that would be a huge plus.

Northside was right, too. He was saying back in September/October that Baer is an 8-12 minute a night player. And that if he was starting or getting more minutes than that it wasn't a good sign because it meant other players weren't developing. This was born out against Bryant and Purdue.

Kriener had a nice game, especially on offense. The key stat was zero turnovers. The other key was getting his confidence going by hitting his first shot, and a three pointer no less.

We're going to to need all available hands on deck, at least until Garza is 100%. If Kriener can give us the solid 15-20 minutes hes capable of on a more consistent basis that would be a huge plus.

Northside was right, too. He was saying back in September/October that Baer is an 8-12 minute a night player. And that if he was starting or getting more minutes than that it wasn't a good sign because it meant other players weren't developing. This was born out against Bryant and Purdue.
Yeah I don't like seeing Baer out there a ton either.. I'd be curious to know how productive he is out there when he plays more mins than that because I bet it's not that good... He's a fun player to root for and all but there's a fairly low ceiling of what his level of play can be

Fair points. We used to have a saying when I used to work in video post production for cable advertising. When the sales people were asking if a commercial was done, and it was being held up by the arrival of the audio track or the extra footage we needed, we would tell them we can't edit what we don't have. This applies in Dailey's situation somewhat. You can't be disappointing if you've never been good. Right now last year's Colorado game may end up being his finest hour.

Kriener is intriguing, and much needed. One big is redshirting, another will be a medical redshirt, and another probably won't be 100% all year. If he can't get more than eleven minutes with those three out of the picture, if Fran has to give Riley Till important minutes, he never will get more than eleven minutes. He logged a total of three minutes against Bryant, while Cook was forced to play the full forty. That can't happen.

Kriener oozes potential, and his production per minute supports this. Now he must reduce the turnovers and fouls. That's what's holding back his minutes.

He's a junior with a great opportunity. Time to put on his big boy pants. I mentioned Nate Reuvers and Amir Coffey in another thread. It's time for Kriener to take the next step as well.

Molasses doesn't ooze. I like the kid, but...

Well he did score 14 last night. Brig Tubbs, the player I compared him to, never came close to scoring 14 in an Iowa game unless it was a November or December game against a directional school.
He sort of reminds me of Steve Wait. A breakdown Pt Guard and matched with Cook, he can/could get his points.

Latest posts