Iowa Wins AZ game if Norm is Coaching the Defense

iowatank55

Was it me or did Iowa not look like Iowa on Defense tonight? Iowa really missed Norm calling the plays out there and dug itself too deep a hole in the first half. The second half adjustments were good, but AZ shouldn't have been able to march down the field on their last drive. That doesn't happen if Norm is calling the game...Get Well Norm, this team needs you...

Time to pick up the pieces and move on to Ball State. Heres to a Big Ten Championship run and who knows, maybe a rematch with AZ in the Rose??

Go Hawks!

Was it me or did Iowa not look like Iowa on Defense tonight? Iowa really missed Norm calling the plays out there and dug itself too deep a hole in the first half. The second half adjustments were good, but AZ shouldn't have been able to march down the field on their last drive. That doesn't happen if Norm is calling the game...Get Well Norm, this team needs you...

Time to pick up the pieces and move on to Ball State. Heres to a Big Ten Championship run and who knows, maybe a rematch with AZ in the Rose??

Go Hawks!

Get real....

Go Hawks!

My god, do you idiots even watch the game?

No doubt about it. Losing Norm was a huge psychological factor for this team.

I hope we get him back soon - he is a genius on defense

Go Hawks!

no

would have been nice if the best defensive line in the country (can we drop that moniker now?) could have been more disruptive. The defense played OK. Special Teams tipped the balance in this game.

Defense played ok? Seriously, dont drink and watch the game next time. They played just the same as they always do. They did well. Get a clue.

Yes, I most certainly watched the game. Your calling me an idiot for stating my opinion about what I believed to be a factor in the outcome is a joke. You my friend are the true idiot for spewing your thoughtless words on this message board...Iowa missed Norm's presence as well as his playing calling. Think what you want, but that is what I clearly saw, especially in the first half...

Go Hawks!

The D looked pretty decent to me. Every zone scheme has its holes ... and Foles was a precision passer who was able to hit his guys before the windows in the zone closed.

Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that there probably were some poor reads by the Iowa D in coverage ... thus, some of the problems probably has less to do with the calls and more to do with the execution.

Yes, I most certainly watched the game. Your calling me an idiot for stating my opinion about what I believed to be a factor in the outcome is a joke. You my friend are the true idiot for spewing your thoughtless words on this message board...Iowa missed Norm's presence as well as his playing calling. Think what you want, but that is what I clearly saw, especially in the first half...

Go Hawks!

No ... what made your post idiotic is that you didn't support your argument with any legit examples.

I was surprised they gave up the long ball on UA's last drive. That usually doesn't happen. But, considering the opponent, they played solid. Didn't have much of a chance in the first half. And showed a lot of wrinkles in the pass rush game for other teams to look at.

The defense gave up one long scoring drive and put in a horrible position on the other score. So, seriously, the D only gave up the to TDs and 2 FGs. Pretty good night, just not good enough on this night.

The defense was fine. It gave up 13 points on drives that started on Arizona's side of the 50....13. The first touchdown came when the drive started on the Iowa 8 from the blocked punt. Then the pick six. then the kickoff return.

Last edited:

Go Hawks!

Our D played just as well as they always did. They gave up two TD's. One backed up because of a blocked punt, one way late when they were getting tired. Plus they scored a TD on defense. Obviously you missed all of that, that is why I am saying you did not watch the game.

Defense played ok? Seriously, dont drink and watch the game next time. They played just the same as they always do. They did well. Get a clue.

Better than okay, but not at their best or probably even at their very good. I'd say they played good.

As for special teams, they did more than tip the balance. They took the balance, dropped a deuce on it and then kicked it into the sh*tter.

I agree with you Jon. The D didn't allow any points the entire 2nd half until right at the end, and they even scored a TD of their own. If you're looking to point a finger, point it at the special teams which gave up 14 points. The D was legit

They still gave up over 300 yards passing to a QB that was essentially only on the field for 3 quarters. Also, just because we hold them to field goals doesn't mean we don't count those points against the D.

On the balance, they gave up 20 points in 3 quarters of play (pretty good, but not great). But they did score a touchdown and generally got the ball back to the offense quickly in the second half. They were good, but not at their best.

They still gave up over 300 yards passing to a QB that was essentially only on the field for 3 quarters. Also, just because we hold them to field goals doesn't mean we don't count those points against the D.

On the balance, they gave up 20 points in 3 quarters of play (pretty good, but not great). But they did score a touchdown and generally got the ball back to the offense quickly in the second half. They were good, but not at their best.

Not sure what you mean about the three quarters comment. AZ had the ball for 32 minutes..more than Iowa did. That's the majority of the football game. Going in, I felt he would be the best passer iowa would face all season and nothing happened to change my opinion. Iowa's defense basically allowed 13 points tonight. Thats a damned good effort against a unique offense they wont see replicated this year and a passing attack that tries to get rid of it in under 2 seconds

Not sure what you mean about the three quarters comment. AZ had the ball for 32 minutes..more than Iowa did. That's the majority of the football game. Going in, I felt he would be the best passer iowa would face all season and nothing happened to change my opinion. Iowa's defense basically allowed 13 points tonight. Thats a damned good effort against a unique offense they wont see replicated this year and a passing attack that tries to get rid of it in under 2 seconds

What I meant was their offense didn't really play in the 1st quarter. Time of poss. was muddled because they were running the play clock down on every chance they could and we were chucking it like 90% of the time.

You're mostly right about the points though. I counted the first TD against them, which isn't really fair. I don't let them off the hook entirely for that, but what do you do... I don't want to count like half points or something.

On the whole though, I stand by saying they played good, but not great.

Latest posts