Iowa Well-Positioned as John Waggoner Creeps Closer to Decision

RobHowe

Administrator
The top-rated player in the state, John Waggoner, visited Iowa again on Thursday. The West Des Moines Dowling Catholic DE spoke with HN about the stop and what's next:

LINK

We shouldn't forget Brandon Simon and Chauncey Golston. Both are good looking young prospects.I thought Simon held his own against Jackson in the spring game. But yes Waggoner would be a great get.

I like the idea of getting these long athletic types that are tight ends and defensive ends and eventually working them into athletic defensive lineman. Iowa seems to have great success in recruiting those types of players and plugging them in. Hopefully Waggoner is no different and can see the potential and opportunity to create something special.

Fortunately ND has been less than stellar of late which gives us hope.

I like the idea of getting these long athletic types that are tight ends and defensive ends and eventually working them into athletic defensive lineman. Iowa seems to have great success in recruiting those types of players and plugging them in. Hopefully Waggoner is no different and can see the potential and opportunity to create something special.

Fortunately ND has been less than stellar of late which gives us hope.
Unfortunately ND still gets the best recruits even when not performing on the field.

Unfortunately ND still gets the best recruits even when not performing on the field.
And it's a storied program. Plus Waggoner attends Dowling, a Catholic prep school. While this may not be the end all, it would be nice to nail down some of these high end in state recruits.

FWIW... I've talked to two different parents now who are family friends of the Waggoner's (they have kids that go to school with him) and they both told me they thought he'd end up going out of state. This was at least two months ago though. Rob's report sure makes it seem like he's still very much considering Iowa. I hope that's the case.

Is Rob trying to send us a message with his choice of words here, his diction. Whats up with the verb "creeps"? I mean, is this guy creeping? Is he "creepy"? Is Rob "creeping"? Is this meta-commentary about the recruiting game?

Notre Dame has plenty of Heisman winners, all their history and National Championships, they even have a brand new $460M stadium renovation project that they will show off this year.
But - what they don't have is a stable coach and coaching staff.
Brian Kelly is VERY lucky he didn't get clipped after last season's embarrassment. Many of their top boosters were calling for his head before the season was over...Kelly knew it so he axed his Defensive Coordinator, pokin' & a-hopin' for anything positive to happen. Desperate is what he was last season and nervous as hell is what he is this season.
If they don't show dramatic improvement and land a decent bowl Coach Kelly IS GONE after this season - guaranteed.
ND's uncertainty vs Iowa's stability should be a major factor in this very talented kid's big decision.

The top-rated player in the state, John Waggoner, visited Iowa again on Thursday. The West Des Moines Dowling Catholic DE spoke with HN about the stop and what's next:

LINK

tenor.gif

While a ND education brings a bit more notoriety, it would be a bit worrisome commiting to ND with Kelly as the coach.

He is unstable, fired his DC after last season just to save his job and his days are numbered.

Just watch a game and look at the way he talks to his coaches and players. I just cant imagine that he is even in the same stratosphere as a person that Ferentz is.

Best thing that could happen might be for ND to gain a verbal from one of their other more prized 2018 DE targets that already have been extended an offer. Unfortunately that list grew smaller when one of their top targets made no mention of ND on his announced Top 5 last week.