Iowa weak against Spread

cyhawk55

I saw a thread earlier that made me laugh that tried to prove the Iowa's defense wasn't weak against the spread. Great use of statistics to prove the point. However Iowa has not faced a good spread offense. When I mean good i talking the Big 12 spreads. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor. Missouri last year was not IMO a good spread offense Gabbert was a good QB but not a spread QB. After seeing these teams last year and what they did this year they would tear Iowa apart.

Interesting concept. Iowa has fared well only against sub-par spread offenses and a good one in Missouri, but that doesn't count because Gabbert wasn't a spread QB. Therefore, based on that evidence, Iowa would get torn apart by a good spread team because they have never played one. With that logic Iowa would also be terrible at stopping a good women's football team, a good junior high wishbone team, and Aplington-Parkersburg's wing-t. We've never played those teams, they must be better than us.

Anyway, I hope you're joking with this logic...

I think you are mixing up "Good Spread" teams with "Bad Defenses" against those spread teams

Interesting concept. Iowa has fared well only against sub-par spread offenses and a good one in Missouri, but that doesn't count because Gabbert wasn't a spread QB. Therefore, based on that evidence, Iowa would get torn apart by a good spread team because they have never played one. With that logic Iowa would also be terrible at stopping a good women's football team, a good junior high wishbone team, and Aplington-Parkersburg's wing-t. We've never played those teams, they must be better than us.

Anyway, I hope you're joking with this logic...

Missouri's Spread under Gabbert was nowhere near what it was under Daniel i never claimed their spread was good IMO it was bad but had enough talent to be decent. Your logic sir is false.

I saw a thread earlier that made me laugh that tried to prove the Iowa's defense wasn't weak against the spread. Great use of statistics to prove the point. However Iowa has not faced a good spread offense. When I mean good i talking the Big 12 spreads. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor. Missouri last year was not IMO a good spread offense Gabbert was a good QB but not a spread QB. After seeing these teams last year and what they did this year they would tear Iowa apart.

Funny you bring up Texas Tech, you should take a look at this box score. I would say Kingsbury was a pretty damn good spread QB.

Hawkeye Football History

Missouri's Spread under Gabbert was nowhere near what it was under Daniel i never claimed their spread was good IMO it was bad but had enough talent to be decent. Your logic sir is false.

Well, I used your logic. Therefore your logic is false. And BTW, saying Missouri's spread was bad only strengthens my argument that your logic is off. You then are saying even more that we must be bad against something you say we've never played...

I saw a thread earlier that made me laugh that tried to prove the Iowa's defense wasn't weak against the spread. Great use of statistics to prove the point. However Iowa has not faced a good spread offense. .

That streak continues tomorrow

That Texas Tech game in '01 kind of originated the virtually exclusive use of bend-but-don't-break against passing teams. I feel like in 2000 against NW's original "spread attack" offense we had a young FR safety named Bob Sanders up by the LOS spying on Kustok and Damien Anderson.

To hearken back to the other thread referenced in the OP (and to thus beat a dead horse), I think the 4th quarter against Missouri last year shows that controlled blitzing once or twice a series (just 5-man rush, not bringing the house) can get some incompletions without ensuring that we give up some 50-yard gains.

That said, though, Norm's system is beautiful when we're getting pressure with four.

Theres different types of spread offenses and to say Iowa is bad against the spread is fairly silly. Michigan and Northwester both ran a very tough "running" spread offense last year. Michigan would spread the defense out, and run straight up the gut. If you don't cover their receivers, good luck defending the pass. Same with Northwestern except they took time off the clock so your offense couldn't score back. Then there's the passing spread Missouri and TTU ran under Leach. Missouri was a very good spread offense last year with a very good quarterback. To think otherwise is dumb. Iowa gives up yards against spread teams, but which defense doesn't? Maybe that's why conferences with multiple spread offenses have poor defensive stats?

Please stop, or I'll be forced to call the punctuation police!

I like this stat from ESPN B1G blog:

Iowa has held its opponents to two touchdown passes or fewer in 35 straight games. The Hawkeyes' defense has collected at least one takeaway in 57 of its last 63 games, dating back to 2006.

Add in 36 straight games and 58 of the last 64 after tomorrow!!! Go Hawks!

As Jon said, Iowa won't be facing a good spread offense tomorrow either.

The funny part of the clowns statement is that the clowns are much much worse against the spread than Iowa is...much much worse. Iowa would hold its own in the Big 12...the clowns will finish in last or next to last place in their conference.

Iowa went up against Texas Tech and held them down.

Oklahoma and Oklahomas State are going to score against EVERYONE not just Iowa.

Latest posts