Iowa vs Tennessee Tech Two Deeps

Jon brought up something the other day I did not really think about until after he said it. Daniels might be at his best playing 30 to 40 snaps a game. If this depth works out the way I think it will Daniels snap count will be in the high 40's, low 50's......If that is the case he can continue to bring that high energy throughout the game.

To go further along these lines ... not counting snaps that result in penalties, our D seems to usually face around 66 snaps on average during similar years. Furthermore, there is a standard deviation of around 12 snaps in that average.

The implication there is that even in an average game, if your projection is accurate, Daniels's back-up should end up roughly seeing around 15 snaps per game. And, that's just an average, given the standard deviation ... in some games that number could climb to be nearly 30 snaps. Furthermore, that doesn't account for goal-line situations either. On goal-line stands ... the back-ups have a chance to earn even more reps.

Yep ... that's what I've heard as well.

He got hurt - not severely - but it caused him to miss a couple practices during camp. I expect that is what put tobin in front of him - not taking anything from tobin. Scherff is ready to go and not hampered by any injury at this point in time.

I believe we are just an injury or two away from being very weak in the defensive front seven this year.

I also believe that unless Cooper becomes a great player next year in the middle that our defensive line will be very weak next year as well.

I believe we are just an injury or two away from being very weak in the defensive front seven this year.

I also believe that unless Cooper becomes a great player next year in the middle that our defensive line will be very weak next year as well.

I think you could have said the same thing about Iowa last year, and in most years. Iowa is not Ohio State; there are not all americans on the bench...for that matter, there are not high school aa's on the team.

Yet oddly enuff, somehow Iowa has the 2nd most NFL alumni in the Big 10 and just a few less than tOSU, D-linemen in particular. Its really quite telling how much talent Iowa really has recruited, groomed and molded.

Chad

it's here..... the first depth chart of the year. Jon, can you show us the first & last depth charts of the last few years for something to draw a comparison to. thanks in advance!

LB maybe, but I like the depth in the DL. Other than Cooper and C. Davis, most of these guys have been with us for awhile. There aren't chopped liver they just played behind three NFL draft picks. Binn, a starter 2009, lost his spot to essentially someone that outplayed him. Obviously it remains to be seen what Nardo, Alvis, and Daniel can do, but I'm very optimistic as they are seasoned. Daniel actually brings something different...a quick speed rusher.

LB is another story. If Morris or Neilsen get hurt, there will be a good sized drop in productivity. That being said, there are some guys that appear to be flashing that could be big surprises.

If you want to look at it that way, its:

CB Castillo > FS Miller

And thats the part Im having trouble with.

Just judging on what Ive seen out of the trio of Miller, Bernstein and Castillo, granted its not much, and in Millers case very little, but it just seemed like two of them looked like they belonged out there and the other looked like Adam Shada. I don't think I have to explain which is who.

I've got a bad feeling about this year's defense. Little to no depth anywhere. Does our offense have to average 35 ppg?

I've got a bad feeling about this year's defense. Little to no depth anywhere. Does our offense have to average 35 ppg?

I have to ask, in your opinion then would you say this defense is going to be far and away the worst we have had since 2001...?!?!

Since then we have not given up more than 269 total points in a season and that was in 2006 counting our bowl game......how many more than that do you expect to give up this year?!

Chad

PS....that schedule included 12-1 OSU 38 pts, 11-2 Michigan 20 pts, 12-1 Wiscy 24 pts and 10-3 Texas 26 pts....

We're not swimming with experienced depth. However, our depth at many spots is about the same as what it usually is. I think that you're probably struck more by the fact that we don't have quite as many headliners as you're used to seeing. However, right now we're in the pre-season ... we don't yet know of the guys who will yet emerge and become household names.

The thing about our defense is that we will never give up over 30 points a game. But when we are bad like 2006 and 2007 we don't force a lot of turnovers and give up a huge time of possession. This results in the offense getting a lot of bad field position and getting out of sync. Thus even if our offense is good it will be hard to put up a lot of points.

And thats the part Im having trouble with.

Just judging on what Ive seen out of the trio of Miller, Bernstein and Castillo, granted its not much, and in Millers case very little, but it just seemed like two of them looked like they belonged out there and the other looked like Adam Shada. I don't think I have to explain which is who.

Okay, let me help you. Watch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0jkuKtC7q0"]this play [/ame]carefully. Notice where Gabbert is looking at the beginning of the play? Yep, that is Castillo locking up on the guy and forcing Gabbert to check off the play. This starts his scramble to the other side of the field.

Now, watch Castillo lead Hyde down the sideline. He is going about 70% as he is looking to pick off any defenders running up. Notice how he is staying right with Hyde there?

Dude was an integral part of the biggest play of the year for the Hawks.

^with all due respect, just because he did his job on one play doesnt prove your point. I think its a general consensus on all message boards that Castillo is the next Adam Shada.

Latest posts