Iowa vs Tennessee Tech Two Deeps

Hopefully some of our freshmen CB's are ready this year, we are very thin at that position right now.

Keep in mind that several freshmen are going to play, and some may push into the two-deep prior to the Iowa State game

O:
- McCall and Hamilton will likely see quality positional action as FR. They'll also likely see plenty of action on special teams too.
- Canzeri and Grant/Hillyer will also likely see the field too ... although I think that they'll most likely see the field on special teams.

D:
- Cooper will likely see positional action as a FR ... however, I see him contributing much like Bigach and Nardo contributed in '10.
- Law will likely see some positional action as a FR ... and, my bet is that he'll become an impact player for us on ST.
- Campbell will likely see quality positional action as a FR. He'll also likely see plenty of action on ST.
- I'd be shocked if some young LB doesn't see early action on ST. I have no idea who it might end up being. Maybe Collins? Also, while I believe he's now working at DE ... I imagine that Spears has a good chance of seeing action on ST too.

I had this exact conversation with my neighbor the other night. At this point I think we have 4 serviceable tight ends when you throw Hamilton into the equation.

I think from an athleticism and pass catching standpoint all the tools are there to make 3 TE sets very lethal. The big question mark is in the run game. How effective can those 3 be blocking. If we get solid blocking from them to go with an experienced OL, whoa look out. Don't underestimate the challenge teams will have in defending us if we can move the ball consistently on the ground knowing that you have 7 & 6 on the perimeter with 39, 86 and 82 in the middle/flats and a QB who can make about any throw on the field.

I suspect we will see a lot of 1 back sets with one of the 3 TEs as an H Back.

iahawk72

Not only that ... we'll likely be seeing 3-TE sets too. We used those a bit back in '08. I think that we'll see them again in '10. They're going to probably try to find ways to get Derby or Hamilton on the field at the same time as the Hermanator and CJ Fed.

TEs will be a continued theme through the year ... that's my prediction. The ability to threaten the power run ... but still be dangerous in the passing game ... it has the potential to be a pretty lethal combo.

Hopefully some of our freshmen CB's are ready this year, we are very thin at that position right now.

Campbell will play.

Also, should Lowery's wrist heal without any complications ... he could possibly be back by the start of Iowa's conference slate.

Interesting noting the positioning of the #2 QB - Derby/Weinke. At first I thought it was alphabetical, but no other / pairing is alphabetical. Is Derby getting the nod over Weinke?

I had this exact conversation with my neighbor the other night. At this point I think we have 4 serviceable tight ends when you throw Hamilton into the equation.

I think from an athleticism and pass catching standpoint all the tools are there to make 3 TE sets very lethal. The big question mark is in the run game. How effective can those 3 be blocking. If we get solid blocking from them to go with an experienced OL, whoa look out. Don't underestimate the challenge teams will have in defending us if we can move the ball consistently on the ground knowing that you have 7 & 6 on the perimeter with 39, 86 and 82 in the middle/flats.

A suspect we will see a lot of 1 back sets with one of the 3 TEs as an H Back.

I think a huge part of it has to do with personnel. Back in '08, we had Myers, Moeaki, and Reisner ... what a beautiful problem to have! In '09, I believe that we WANTED to use more 3-tights ... however, Herman's blocking wasn't yet up to snuff. As a result, we used Kuempel as a "jumbo" TE in some of our 2 and 3 TE sets. We didn't use our 3-TE sets much in '09 though.

In '10, the 3-TE sets disappeared. Some of that was likely due to the strength of our WR play. However, the other part of it was probably due to the fact that Derby and CJ Fed weren't yet ready.

Now, fast-forward to '11 ... we now have a pretty strong trio in Herman, CJ Fed, and Derby. Furthermore, I anticipate that Hamilton's background as a pure TE might make him a bit more ready to play right away ... even as a blocker.

Yep ... we'll have 7 or 8 "regulars" who play quite a bit on the DL. Some of those guys will admittedly likely come in more situationally ... however, they'll get put in even if the game is on the line.

Daniel, Forgy, Alvis, Nardo, Davis, Daniels, Binns, and Bigach ... they're all guys who will get quality and quantity reps. However, I also think that we can count on Cooper and Trinca-Pasat also seeing action in a back-up capacity.

No offense to Gaglione ... but he's listed behind Daniels. Daniels won't come off the field unless he's absolutely gassed. And, if he does, Alvis and Davis are the guys who'd most likely come in for him.

Jon brought up something the other day I did not really think about until after he said it. Daniels might be at his best playing 30 to 40 snaps a game. If this depth works out the way I think it will Daniels snap count will be in the high 40's, low 50's......If that is the case he can continue to bring that high energy throughout the game.

Interesting noting the positioning of the #2 QB - Derby/Weinke. At first I thought it was alphabetical, but no other / pairing is alphabetical. Is Derby getting the nod over Weinke?

I've heard that Derby had been playing better than Wienke as of late. However, the separation might not be adequately large. Furthermore, it's also worth considering that Derby and Wienke might not be too separated from Rudock ... in that case, the coaches may not want the #2 QB to feel too safe.

Jon brought up something the other day I did not really think about until after he said it. Daniels might be at his best playing 30 to 40 snaps a game. If this depth works out the way I think it will Daniels snap count will be in the high 40's, low 50's......If that is the case he can continue to bring that high energy throughout the game.

That could certainly be the case. It goes in line with what Coach K has said about Daniels. Daniels has been told that he needs to "throttle down" a little bit so that he better conserves his energy. These high-motor, high-energy guys can definitely get tired early if they don't learn to control themselves. Of course, King was awesome in Iowa's '08 game against PSU ... and the Iowa D was on the field A LONG TIME in that game. Thus, considering that King was a similar type of guy (high energy, high motor) and learned how to control himself ... I expect that Daniels will learn how to do the same.

Anyhow, great point.

Also, it's worth noting that Alvis is also another high-motor guy ... a type who can tire early if he doesn't conserve his energy smartly.

Thus, I think that those observations are probably a big reason why we'll still see an awfully healthy rotation on the DL.

Jon,

I think your left guard 2 deep is wrong. The one I saw showed "Tobin/Scherff", not "Tobin, Scherff".

Not a huge deal, but it does mean that Tobin and Scherff are pretty even and Tobin isn't the clear cut starter.

I had the same thought. Plus, there's no backup to Gutherie (not even Weinke).

Why attempt to pit players against one another. The bottom line is that we want and NEED both players to perform well for us throughout the season. If both guys fight and play hard ... and both guys have good seasons ... then that could help propel our Hawks to a great season.

I think that that is A LOT more important than any BS about caring who is supposedly the "better" player. Who cares!

I would like to take this time to say, praise God!, we finally get to start talking about football and game week! This is a very special time of the year and it puts a huge smile on my face to know that in 7 1/2 days the 2011-2012 Iowa Hawkeyes will be taking the field and kicking off what is bound to be another season of high hopes, controversy, unbelievable wins, unexpected losses and I there is no other fan base I would rather share it with than you sorry sack pain the @ss black and gold bleeding sons of *******! AMEN!!

Man, Castillo is in a no-win situation. There seems to be a certain group of people around here that are just not willing to give him chance. Yes, he did look a little shaky a FEW times last year, but it was his first opportunity to see any meaningful playing time. A lot of players see huge improvement when they move from a part-time role to a starting role. Why do some assume this improvement will not occur for Castillo?

When Castillo starts, teams are going to throw to his side a lot. But the main reason for this is not necessarily a perceived weakness, but rather due to the fact that we have one of the best Big10 CB's on the other side of the field.

Latest posts