Iowa vs. Penn St.

EstronHawkKing

If both are undefeated in two weeks, you think we get a 7pm start either on the BIG Network or ABC? Watching them yesterday, I would say they are right now the best in the BIG.

Yeah...I watched Penn State yesterday. Very similar offense to ISU, only better players in most spots...TE...yes, QB...Yes, RB...Yes, Offensive Line...yes...I'd call the receivers even with ISU. We are going to have one hell of a time having to stop that team. It's damn near impossible...they are that good. They spread you out, create an even match up with the defenders in the box, then zone read you...with freaking Barkley. McSorely is perfect with that offense because he reads the defense so well and immediately knows where to go with the ball.

With last years game and yesterday in my memory bank...I'm not sure this is the type of offense we are going to play well defensively against when they have those skill players. Someone needs to punish McSorely a few times and get him off his game...otherwise, we are going to need to outscore this team. If they zone read you...you have to hit the QB...he's fair game.

Iowa will need a few TOs and vastly improved safety play to hang w PSU. I had no idea the crevasse bn Snyder and next man in was so wide and deep.

The hawk coaches may have to pick their poison against PSU by having the front 7 skip their normal gap coverages and go for more penetration to the zone read mesh point. The defensive scheme might need to include more zone blitz sending rushers from different areas, dropping a lineman into coverage, or just more regular blitzing to make Mcsorley get off his spot and go for negative yardage plays.

They certainly have the tape from last year to look at. The offense will have to score and score.

That game feels like a loss to me. Now the OSU game might be the one Iowa can get. As long as the OSU passing game continues to struggle. Iowa might be able to get that game to be played in a phone booth.

A lot of work and lot of improvement needs to happen first.

The one thing I can hope for is Stanley improves on his deep throws. This will be the key to the offense. The defense has a lot to try and shore up. After last years game against go blue I won't say it's not possible to beat psu.

The Fox and ABC/ESPN networks need to pick their night games 12 days before the game, which means they will announce this Tues.

It is already decided Notre Dame-MSU will be the Fox night game, and I believe the odds are good Iowa-PSU will be the ABC night game.

I can't see the game sliding down to the BTN. If it us not a night game on ABC, it will be the 2:30 game.

Last edited:
As bad as our D looked yesterday, it's very possible that Penn St could be our only loss. Not probable, but definitely possible.

If you look at PSU last year, their two hardest road games were at PITT & Michigan, both losses. They beat a decent Wisky team on a neutral field but lost to USC on a neutral field. Outside of their stadium, they are beatable.

Last edited:
I can tell you right now if we can't cover middle of the field you'll see the same easy TD's we gave up yesterday all day long! I hope the Hawks put the big arrogant attitude of Franklin to rest as I can't stand the sob!

I can tell you right now if we can't cover middle of the field you'll see the same easy TD's we gave up yesterday all day long! I hope the Hawks put the big arrogant attitude of Franklin to rest as I can't stand the sob!

Not going to happen. PSU is feeding off that "arrogance ". Franklin went from being on the hotseat to making the program his own.

Well how much better do you think PSU is than ISU, 3 times better being able to put a 40-13 beatdown on ISU on any field? Kinnick will be a 3 to 7 point home edge so if we get a defensive effort like against Mich last year we can beat PSU. Hawks can win with control offense that yields points because PSU is going to score some but need it to be 24 or less.

This game won't be pretty.
I agree. That was not a good ISU team yesterday, and our lines on both sides of the ball did not look good, and our defense looked atrocious all the way around. Stanley played well, and ISM looks to be a receiver that might be able to actually get open, but Northern Iowa put up over 400 yards on that team as well. We will struggle to move the ball in B1G play. PSU is much improved over last year, and they ran up almost 600 yards of offense against us. It is nice to see us put some points on the board for once, and Stanley showed poise throughout the game. I just think some are getting carried away with the offense when we haven't faced a remotely decent defense yet.

Well how much better do you think PSU is than ISU, 3 times better being able to put a 40-13 beatdown on ISU on any field? Kinnick will be a 3 to 7 point home edge so if we get a defensive effort like against Mich last year we can beat PSU. Hawks can win with control offense that yields points because PSU is going to score some but need it to be 24 or less.

ISU is not a good team. Comparing PSU and ISU is laughable. Just because we won a shootout with them doesn't all of a sudden make them a good team. PSU would stomp them. Better players at every single position. Barkley is likely the best player in the country, and if you saw the game you can see how big of a threat he is in the passing game. My guess is we will see plenty of him catching passes on our linebackers when they come to town. PSU also has a legit threat at tight end. PSU will win the conference this year.

On paper, it doesn't look good so it's probably a game Kirk pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

And then I could see us losing the following week at Sparty.

PSU is very good in all phases, balanced, and multiple weapons, including the best fb player in the country. They killed us 2 out of the last 3 years.

But let's go ahead and play the game anyway, cause who knows.

PSU will not have a conservative game plan like Michigan did.

Latest posts