Iowa vs Nebraska Trophy Game Revealed Friday

A thought. As a former Army brat in Iowa, I know that the IANG is a part of the 34th Infantry Division, which is an amalgamation of various ANG battalions from smaller states across the midwest and mountain areas. I know some aspects of the NANG are also part of the 34th, so maybe the trophy has something to do with that?

The Red Bulls trophy?

Look,gang, Nile Kinnick is a Big Ten icon,not just an Iowa icon. The coin used before every Big Ten game has his profile etched in it. He is the only Big Ten Heisman winner who died in service of his country. He is the embodiment of ''Hero''.
I would not be crazy about using his name on this trophy,but if they had his image,and simply labeled it ''Hero'' ....I think his family would be honored. Playing for ''The Hero'' every year on Black Friday would mean every year,a vignette on national TV on the history of Nile Kinnick would be featured. Sure, some Husker fans would taunt Iowa when they win the game,and retain the trophy,but that would happen no matter what. Are we Hawks or mice? Do we fear the Huskers? Would Nile fear the Huskers? Hell NO!!

As another hero once said...''the only thing to fear,is fear itself''.
All that is well and good, but it is a traveling trophy. It would be ridiculous to have nebraksa play for an Iowa greats likeness. The Hero would be a good citizenship award, but a rivalry trophy?

Kinnick spent one year of high school in Nebraska, and Nebby basically wants to claim 50% of his legacy. I don't think so. This is definitely on par with the Legends/Leaders debacle. I'm beginning to think the people running the show couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag...

Kinnick spent one year of high school in Nebraska, and Nebby basically wants to claim 50% of his legacy. I don't think so. This is definitely on par with the Legends/Leaders debacle. I'm beginning to think the people running the show couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag...
I really don't think nebraksa is trying to steal Kinnick, even if he went to high school in omaha, he has nothing to do with UNL. Also i really don't see any nebraska fans seriously trying to claim him.
A Kinnick trophy would be a stupid discussion from either side.

I really don't think nebraksa is trying to steal Kinnick, even if he went to high school in omaha, he has nothing to do with UNL. Also i really don't see any nebraska fans seriously trying to claim him.
A Kinnick trophy would be a stupid discussion from either side.

Agreed. This argument that Nebraska fans are trying to claim him as there own is rickdiculous. I have never heard another NU fan trying to claim Kinnick unless it was in an effort to get under the skin of an Iowa fan who would take it as serious. The idea that we could claim ownership of someone who spent 1-2 years in Omaha and was a hero to the state of Iowa is crazy. Anyone who tells you different is just trying to get under your skin because they know it makes you tick and is likely doing so just to get a rise out of you.

Latest posts