Iowa vs Minnesota Predictions!

pin2win

@hagertony
125: Matt McDonough MDEC Zach Sanders

Both of these guys are very good wrestlers so while some will think this is going to be a good match it won’t. Matt will start off with a quick takedown and control the match the whole time. If Sanders comes to wrestle for the win I think MCD only gets a decision but if he wrestles to hold off the major MCD gets the major all day long. MCD is on fire right now with 6 consecutive falls and im still curious who has the record for this at Iowa anyone know? MCD wins

Iowa-4
Minny-0

133: Tony Ramos DEC David Thorn

Man what a season this has been for Ramos. Ramos is a very improved wrestler and his fire just gets me excited before every match! Thorn has been flirtying with being ranked but really doesn’t make me worried against ramos. I do think it will be a close match with ramos controlling the action. The difference maker is the third period where ramos gets a pair of huge takedowns to secure the decision.

Iowa- 7
Minny-0

141: Montell Marion DEC Mike Thorn

Thorn no doubt has had a good season and based on last year results should win this match but how can you not count out MM? I was very shocked to see MM lose to russell at the end of the 3rd period and yes I know it went to OT but that takedown just killed MM’s mojo. Both these wrestlers were up and down last year with Thorn getting the best of it but with MM’s fire and determination I don’t see him losing this match. If Thorn doesn’t bring his “A†game Marion will have no problem with winning this match. I pick MM in an amazing match setting the pace for the rest of the night. When MM wins here the gophers will go back into their holes and hope for next year.

Iowa-10
Minny-0

149: Danny Zilverburg DEC Ballweg

149 for the hawks have got me wondering what the best decision is and I can’t put my finger around it. Ballweg looked horrible on his feet being flat footed on Sunday and was clearly outsized making it impossible to scramble and come out on top. Zilverburg looked very good against Molinaro but I don’t think Zilverburg is as scary of an opponent as Molinaro for Ballweg. Zilverburg was a very good freestyle wrestler and hasn’t made that transition into college wrestling in my eyes and that’s where I think Ballweg could upset Zilverburg do I think it will actually happen? No I do not given the last matches I just don’t see it. Ballweg weighed in at 148.6 on Sunday and that shows Tom has made up his mind to keep wrestling him at this weight class. Ballweg struggles through this match and only way I see him winning is out hustling him in the third period. I don’t see this an upset either way for both teams but I think Danny wins by a close decision

Iowa-10
Minny-3

157: Derek St. John DEC Joe Grygelko

DSJ is back to wrestling where a lot of hawk fans though he’d be after an ugly first half of the season. Losing to Taylor was one of the better things to happen to him. This showed DSJ where he needed to be and I don’t think he is at the Taylor level yet but he’s at the level where the lower ranked kids or non-ranked kids should be a major every time on the mat. If this was at carver I would give DSJ a major but since we are up in gopher country I just don’t see him having enough to pull off the major. DSJ keeps it rolling winning by a convincing decision.

Iowa-13
Minny-3

165: Aaron Janssen DEC Cody Yohn

Other than 141 this is one of the matchups I am looking forward to watching! Both these wrestlers are a lot alike but I have to go with the guy who I think is going to surprise a lot of people down at Big10’s and the national tournament. Jans gets my decision here simply because of the way he has been wrestling and the flow of this meet. Iowa thrives off each other and this match will be no different. Most non-hawk fans will give Yohn the nod here but my money is on Jans with a close decision.

Iowa-16
Minny- 3

174: Ethen Lofthouse DEC Scott Glasser

For some reason I have never liked Glasser. I have a friend who speaks highly of Glasser all the time and I just don’t see it! Ben Jordan and Justin Zeerip both have beat Glasser this year so I feel like he doesn’t do well wrestling ranked wrestlers who question his ranking. I know this is his final home dual match and has a lot of motivation to win but I just don’t see it. This is going to be a good match and would compare it to the Jans/Yohn match a lot. I think Ethen wins this dual and gets a big lift to his confidence winning by decision. Good night Gophers!

Iowa-19
Minny-3

184: Kevin Steinhaus DEC Grant Gambrall

Steinhaus is an impressive freshman and really like the way he has wrestled some of the better wrestlers at this weight class more than Gambrall that’s for sure! Grant just needs someone to light a fire under his butt to be at a higher level. If he had half the fire of Ramos I think Grant has a different season. Not much else to talk about here Grant loses by decision.

Iowa-19
Minny-6

197: Sonny Yohn DEC Luke Lofthouse

Oooo “Uncle Luke†as a lot of Iowa fans call him just can’t get his shots together against Yohn or should I say FINISH his shots! Luke’s biggest downfall is finishing his shots or getting the right angle to do so. Yohn is a very good wrestler and will AA so I don’t see Luke winning this match any way I spin it. Yohn wins a very controlled match by decision.

Iowa-19
Minny-9

HWT: Tony Nelson DEC Blake Rasing

This is another one of our wrestlers that needs that spark of Ramos. Rasing lacks in a lot of areas and has cracked the rankings this week showing some improvement. Though Blake is strong (see bearhug) its just not enough to beat Nelson. Im glad that this dual meet doesn’t come down to Blake because Nelson wants and needs the higher seed at Big10’s. Nelson wins this match but if he isn’t careful Blake could very well catch him in something goofy. Hawks win a great dual!

Iowa-19
Minny-12

Can we get somebody, anybody, at 49?

Who would you like to put there? Ballweg is a natural 141 and right now weighs 48. Give him the offseason to make that a solid 148-149 and he'll do just fine. Keep him there for the year to prepare him for next season.

As great a season as Ballweg has had, he looked awful last time out. Grajales tried to cut down to 133, couldn't quite get there, can't beat out Russel, and the only spot to get him in the lineup is 149. Essentially he's in the same position as Mark, but has had time to grow into a little more.

Who would you like to put there? Ballweg is a natural 141 and right now weighs 48. Give him the offseason to make that a solid 148-149 and he'll do just fine. Keep him there for the year to prepare him for next season.

Can we just sub Metcalf in for B10's and Nationals? Please?:rolleyes:

I will be there Sunday cheering on the Hawks...last year was a blast up here!

Is there something popular to do before or after?

There is a Surly party at Triple Rock that day, but I don't know when yet.

Also, I'd like to go to Stub and Herbs just to see it, plus I hear they have a great beer list.

I agree with all your predictions except for 141#. After the loss to Russell, I just don't know if Marion will be 100%. Maybe the adrenalin won't be the same. I hope I'm wrong.

The younger Ballweg isn't the answer let the older brother wrestle in the Big Tens.

125- Dec McD: Sanders may have been injured last year but he still isn't going beat Steel. I think he comes a point shy of a major but it's the start of a strong start for the hawks.

133- Dec Ramos: I think Thorn gets the first takedown and maybe some cheap back points as those Thorn boys do have big moves within their arsenal. However, this awakens Ramos and the route is on as this becomes a takedown clinic from the 2nd period on.

141- Dec Marion: I think this plays out just like last Sunday as it may take a period or two before someone feels comfortable making a move. In the end, a disciplined MM gets a couple of takedowns and the arena goes silent.

149- Dec Mark Ballweg: I think the sudden 8 lb jump may have made Ballweg a little sluggish. I think he pulls off the match with a last second reversal as he starts getting used to the weight.

157- Maj DSJ: No idea about the opponent here, but our 57lber is on a roll.

165- Dec Yohn: I like how Janssen has been wrestling but I think he gets too worked up and that is the cause of his fatigue at the end. The crowd gets to him and he loses at the last second.

174- Dec Lofthouse: Glasser is good and could win, but Lofthouse doesn't get bothered by the moment and will come away with a 4 point win.

184- Dec Gambral: Gambral seems to do his best wrestling when people are doubting him.

197- Dec Yohn: Maybe Lofthouse has turned the corner, but Yohn has owned him in the past. He just can't finish shots on him. I think we get an exciting finish, but Yohn pulls it out.

Hwt- Dec Rasing: The pin against Michigan just might be what gets the HWT rolling.

Iowa 23 Minn 6

You're kidding right? Have you watched them wrestle this year? yeah, i know the Grajeles match didn't go well, but come on.
Yes I have watched them wrestle every home meet and he's to light right now to make a difference this year.He's not ready this year to wrestle 149.Might as well let the Senior wrestle.IMO

I agree. I think zilverberg will completely dominate Mark. Mark is a good wrestler but just not big enough yet. Just look at the size of molinaro and Grajeles compared to Mark and look at the results.

Yes I have watched them wrestle every home meet and he's to light right now to make a difference this year.He's not ready this year to wrestle 149.Might as well let the Senior wrestle.IMO

Its not like either one is going to score any points for us at nationals so you might as well let the younger wrestler build for the future. Matts time is passed.

Ok, lets get one thing straight. Grajeles beat him because he's better than Mark. He was a top 5 kid in the nation coming out of highschool. It had nothing to do w/ size. You might think it did cuz he's at 149 but Grajeles was trying to make 133, couldn't and Russel forced him to go to 149. So that's not a size issue. Molinaro was. He's a tank, probably as thick as any 149 in the country but Mark still wrestled him tough in my opinion. Yeah he got dominated, but he moved well and scrambled well. Yeah, he's a little undersized at 149 but people on here are acting like he's up 3 weight classes. Ramos is undersized at 133 so should we put in JJ Krutsinger? no, you put out the best guy. Mark is better than Matt. If he wasn't, Brands wouldn't have him out there. Why would you put a kid out there just because he's 'a senior.' who cares.

Mark looked real good at,141#, not, 149#. He is to small. I stood six feet away from Grajeles who was bigger and stronger looking than Mark. When it comes down to Ramos, yes he's a little undersize. He makes up for that with his strength, quickness, huge gas tank, and outstanding wrestling skills. It isn"t going to matter anyway.;)

Latest posts